Berreta a 400 extreme

Macdad

FNG
Looking to get a new shotgun. Mainly dove hunt but ocasionally turkey and water fowl. Any thoughts on the a400extreme. I am currently shooting an old Remington semi with no chokes and only shoots 23/4

VernAK

WKR
I have 4 Beretta Autos and I love em.
Only one is the A400 Extreme that I use for hunting cranes and geese that require heavier loads. The Berettas are great for mitigating recoil. The stock adjusting shims work well also. I hunt birds about 60 days in the fall and clean my shotguns after season and they are ready to go the next fall. I've never had any failures or breakdowns.

None of my hunting is high volume shooting but I go through 1-2 cases of 3" steel ever fall.

Two of my 391s are 20 + years old and still running very well. They get loaned out often.

All of my Berettas used for waterfowl wear PatternMaster tubes.

J.Davis

FNG
I wouldn’t trade my a400 for anything. Ducks, dove, turkeys or boat paddle, it works every time.

Kickoff system does a great job on recoil reduction, even with turkey loads.

I have a A400 xplor that i dove hunt with and love it. Best cycling gun ive ever owned.

Ucsdryder

WKR
A400 is a sweet machine. If you’re looking for a gun mostly for doves it wouldn’t be my first choice. It’s like saying I want a commuter car to drive 5 miles a day in the city and I’m going to buy a f350 dually longbed. There are better options. My favorite dove gun is a beretta over/under 20ga. It’s so dang fun.

Love my A300 but love my A400 even more. Use my A400 for dove, quail, duck, geese, and turkey without issue.

OP
M

Macdad

FNG
Thanks for all the suggestions. Now just got to go and handle the gun. Havent yet can't find anywere near me .

Have had most of the beretta autoloaders over the years, 390, 391, extrema2, and A400. Love my A400 extreme for waterfowling.

i got a A400 a few years ago and between shooting trap and hunting probably put 2000 rounds a year through it. Spits out the big hunting loads and most small trap loads with no problem. It doesnt spit out the real small trap shells 7/8th ounce loads well so i just shoot 1 ounce loads. When it was fresh out of the box it did have a couple hiccups with the 1 ounce load trap shells but that was also during trap league in december when it was 10 degrees out. Once i got some bigger waterfowl shells through the gun to help loosen it up it had no problems.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Love my a300 and for graduation I bought the a400 xplor. I've been happy with them and had more people shoot them an love than I expected, those people were winchester, benelli and ruger fans. Buy in confidence, I'd just recommend looking at peoples patterning experience with 3-1/2" shells, with that said I haven't found them to be my cup of tea but to each their own.

VernAK

WKR
Love my a300 and for graduation I bought the a400 xplor. I've been happy with them and had more people shoot them an love than I expected, those people were winchester, benelli and ruger fans. Buy in confidence, I'd just recommend looking at peoples patterning experience with 3-1/2" shells, with that said I haven't found them to be my cup of tea but to each their own.

I use mine exclusively for cranes and geese or maybe a coyote but I haven't found the need for 3.5" loads. I don't like the additional recoil and we do well at longer ranges with the 3" 1550 fps. The Hyper Velocity Remingtons also punish the shooter.

The PatternMaster choke tubes make a difference.

cant wait to get up there for cranes. we are heading up there the second weekend in september to hopefully get some geese as well as some of the early cranes. Hoping that we can pull in some of the smaller flocks before the huge migration hits. Its been tough to pull in the flocks of 100+ birds unless you're in the field that they want to be in. I think you know the area biologist up there fairly well and that is who i crane hunting with every year. I am really good buddies with him, went to college in mn together. He has mentioned a Vern up that way and i was assuming its probably you!

VernAK

WKR
cant wait to get up there for cranes. we are heading up there the second weekend in september to hopefully get some geese as well as some of the early cranes. Hoping that we can pull in some of the smaller flocks before the huge migration hits. Its been tough to pull in the flocks of 100+ birds unless you're in the field that they want to be in. I think you know the area biologist up there fairly well and that is who i crane hunting with every year. I am really good buddies with him, went to college in mn together. He has mentioned a Vern up that way and i was assuming its probably you!

Bob's a good guy but that doesn't exempt him from Geezers riding him now and then! :)
Second week is early for the big push but there's always a few moving through. Th epopulation seems to be increasing and some flights are later unless we get early snow like last year. Barley is starting to ripen and I hope the harvest can start before season so thay have a place to rest and feed. Grouse no longer exist in huntable numbers.

Bob is always fun to BS with! In the past we normally came up around september 19-25 and thats when we have seen the massive flocks before. When we go out scouting we seem to pick up a spruce grouse or 2 normally he will never shoot them but i will always take an opportunity if it presents itself . A few years ago we did awesome for grouse getting around 15 spruce a couple ruffed and even a few sharp tails and that was mostly just scouting for cranes and driving a couple over grown agg areas. Really hoping to find some geese this year, thats the one thing i really miss about mn is the field hunting in layout blinds.