Best 10mm models

rbljack

WKR
yep...Glock 20 or 29. I went with the 29 for the lighter weight. I bought it primarily for carry while backpacking. Debated back and forth, and my decision was made when I found a used Glock 29 come up for sale that I couldn't pass up.

I have owned a Glock 20 can't be beat for reliability and controllable. But keep in mind 10 mm is a heavy handgun to pack around all day

I also have a G20, my buddy has a Sig and the new XD. I still prefer the Glock. Add a guides choice chest rig, trijicons, and youre done.
I just had my slide milled and added an RMR.
Holster is gonna need to be opened up but should be good.

CCH

WKR
For what? Handgun hunting? Backcountry carry? I wouldn’t want to carry anything heavier than my G20SF unless it was my primary hunting weapon. Then I would consider a 1911 or Sig a Hunter. When you take into account the ammo on board, the Glock is not a particularly heavy gun.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Another G29sf here. With an added pierce mag extension for my pinky, I think it's hard to beat as a backpacking pistol.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what you intend to use it for. But as lots have mentioned, anything in the Glock lineup is solid. The 29 can be a bit snappy, the 20 is better handling with hot ammo but can be heavy, and my 40 is a pretty big gun if it’s not the weapon your hunting with. That being said, they are all great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauPhi111

WKR
G20 for back country carry the following reasons - light and drop dead reliable. I also like to tinker with customization and with the Glock, options are endless.

Now if it was strictly a deer hunting rig, I might say a Sig 220 or the new Springfield 1911 TRP. The triggers on either of those guns are going to beat the pants off a stock Glock trigger

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
For what? Handgun hunting? Backcountry carry? I wouldn’t want to carry anything heavier than my G20SF unless it was my primary hunting weapon. Then I would consider a 1911 or Sig a Hunter. When you take into account the ammo on board, the Glock is not a particularly heavy gun.

For backcountry carry in grizzly country

jmden

WKR
Glock G40. Get a little extra fps and energy with the 6" barrel and the extra weight helps tame the recoil of hardcast Double Tap 200g projectiles and 200g Hornady XTPs doing nearly 1300 fps. Put a KKM match barrel that supports cases much better in it so you can reload and there's some formidable firepower.

CCH

WKR
Having carried both the 29 (for a while my only handgun) and 20, I will take the 20 any day. It is more controllable and easier to hit with at a nominal weight gain. If the weight difference really bothers you, load five less in your G20. Neither is a particularly good CCW gun. I find the 40 with RDS an intriguing option if you are concerned with self-defense more than animal deterrent. Haven’t been able to try one yet.

Oh, and stick to original full power 200 grain loads, and the Glock will probably run just fine as is. 200 at 1200 is a pretty reliable and potent, yet controllable combo.

Last edited:

Sodbuster

WKR
Glock G40. Get a little extra fps and energy with the 6" barrel and the extra weight helps tame the recoil of hardcast Double Tap 200g projectiles and 200g Hornady XTPs doing nearly 1300 fps. Put a KKM match barrel that supports cases much better in it so you can reload and there's some formidable firepower.

Exactly my rig. KKM barrel and ZEV trigger.MOS adapter plates. I have Trijicon RMR mounted for target and deer but would just pop it off for other purposes.I installed Heinie night sights as well. Gunfighters Kenai holster.