Best 12 gauge ammo for Pheasant?

illbell

FNG
Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys like to shoot at pheasant with? I've gone the steel route, the lead route, been thinking of trying that Kent Bismuth stuff, but it's pretty spendy. Just looking for ideas of what the general consensus is for Pheasant up in CO?

4 shot, 5 shot, 6 shot?

Thanks!

Early season 6’s or 5’s. I hunt over a GSP, so shooting off points I have to wait and let them get out sometimes. Late season I switch to 4’s.

OP
I

illbell

FNG
Right on, thank you. What kind of shell are you using? lead, steel, bismuth?

Wish I had a dog. I just walk like an idiot all day and hope to flush one or two!

yfarm

WKR
Remington heavy dove loads lead 1 1/8 oz 6s, son uses 1oz 6s in a 20. Have hunted with a group in the past that use 3” 12ga 4s, just destroys the meat. No need for heavy loads. $8 a box in Texas. I hunt a lot of CRP with 3-4’ tall prairie grass, would be near impossible to find downed birds without a dog let alone walking right by birds that don’t flush. Don’t envy your situation.

Last edited:
OP
I

illbell

FNG
Remington heavy dove loads lead 1 1/8 oz 6s, son uses 1oz 6s in a 20. Have hunted with a group in the past that use 3” 12ga 4s, just destroys the meat. No need for heavy loads. $8 a box in Texas. I hunt a lot of CRP with 3-4’ tall prairie grass, would be near impossible to find downed birds without a dog let alone walking right by birds that don’t flush. Don’t envy your situation.
Thanks for the reply.

While I'd love a dog, nearest land to hunt pheasants is hours away so I can't justify the cost, or responsibility of owning a hunting dog and the training that comes with it.

Mosby

WKR
I use #6 shot lead on preserves. I use #5 shot lead most of the time on wild pheasant in Iowa where allowed. When I am hunting in SD, I switch to steel shot....#2 or #3. I won't pay for TSS or Bismuth unless I have to. I use Bismuth in my old A5 16 gauge because I can't shoot steel in it.

Thanks for the reply.

While I'd love a dog, nearest land to hunt pheasants is hours away so I can't justify the cost, or responsibility of owning a hunting dog and the training that comes with it.
I'm 4+ hours from where I hunt birds with my two dogs.

If you want one, don't let distance stop you.

KurtR

WKR
4 or 6 for lead. Lots of times 2 blackcloud because i can shoot waterfowl also. The old pattern master code black does a number on the ditch parrots

If hunting over a dog I don’t shoot near as heavy shot, if no dog I’d shoot a little heavier shot. I shoot 6’s out of a 20 gauge o&u for pheasant and have no issues. If I were to hunt without a dog I’d shoot 5’s.

hobbes

WKR
I shoot #6s early and #5s later. However, that depends on what ammo I can find at a reasonable price. I normally find Kent Ultimate FastLead at reasonable prices. 2 3/4" in 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 oz lead. (1475 and 1420 fps). I like Federal's Pheasants Forever load at 1500 fps in the same size but the price on them has gotten stupid.

I'll shoot lighter, 1300 fps, if that's all I can find, especially early season.

Maybe I'm hunting harder pressured birds or maybe my shooting just sucks, but I'd have an awful lot of runners in the late season with loads lighter than that.

Maki35

WKR
I've used Federals & Winchester.
Remington XLR #6 is my favorite for pheasant.

Which payload do you prefer? Never heard of this company before
2 3/4" 1 1/4OZ 3/5S or you could probably get by with the2 3/4" 1oz 3/5s for them early season roosters, yeah not very many people have but they are a direct to consumer, give discounts to military &first responders and offer free shipping over $100.

OP
I

illbell

FNG
2 3/4" 1 1/4OZ 3/5S or you could probably get by with the2 3/4" 1oz 3/5s for them early season roosters, yeah not very many people have but they are a direct to consumer, give discounts to military &first responders and offer free shipping over $100.
Thanks! Yea this company looks pretty great, seem to have good reviews too, may have to give them a try.

WCB

WKR
early season I use trap loads (lead) #7 or #7.5. Later season when you don't have to kick them to get them up....#6 or #5 lead. I use Federal Prairie storm steel or Blak cloud if somewhere that requires non toxic.