Best .22 pistol Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark IV

Chuckybmd

WKR
I’m looking to pick up a semi auto 22 pistol to teach my daughters, but want to have it for general use as well.

I’ve watched a lot of Internet videos and read Internet ratings sites and I’m not really any closer to choosing one. (I did not easily find the answer to my question on a recent thread).

What’s most important to me Is reliability and long lasting quality. For the most part I will use it for target shooting and plinking.

Right now I’m trying to decide between the Browning Buck Mark and the Ruger Mark IV but am open to other options.

There are also a lot of options available including the new Glock .22, Smith and Wesson recently came out with a reliable 22 pistol as well, but they are rather new.

If you have owned one of these pistols and have strong opinions you’d be willing to share I would sure appreciate it.

Apollo117

WKR
I shot a Buckmark and a Mark II (not a Mark IV) last week. I preferred the Mark II. As I understand it, the Mark IV is a newer version of the Mark II.

I preferred the stock trigger of the Mark II over the Buckmark. IMO, aside from the trigger there's not enough difference between the Buckmark and the Mark II for me to care which of the two I shoot. They both fed and fired reliably.

If you plan on installing an aftermarket trigger it's a toss up. Pick whichever has the best aftermarket support.

On the buckmark there is a modification you can do, something about flipping the spring that makes it act differently. Another point for the buckmark is that you can swap barrels and they are not serialized and as I understand, the Ruger serialized action is built into the barrel.

On my buckmark I added an Overtravel screw which helped a lot but I think you can buy a trigger like that for cheap.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mark IV .22/45 lite. Super accurate pistol, light weight, threaded barrel... I was at the store for a Buck Mark and ended up with the mark IV, and I have not been disappointed, although I would have to say that you wouldn't be going wrong either way, which pretty much reinforces your original statement. The deal breaker for me was price since they had a screaming deal on the Mark IV.

I had the same problem as you. Good problem to have. I went with the buckmark, just because I was told it was easier to clean. Not sure if it true but that what I was told.

KHNC

WKR
I know its not on your list, but stay away from the Walther P22. Very picky on ammo. My old Mark 11 would shoot most any brand reliably.

Oldffemt

WKR
I have a mark 3 22/45. This is my 2nd one. I’ve been happy with both. All 22 ammo is dirty so you have to do the maintenance, the mark 4 is supposed to be easier to break down but I’ve never tried it. The browning is super nice but I found better deals on the rugers and there’s a huge aftermarket if you’re into upgrading.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
I know its not on your list, but stay away from the Walther P22. Very picky on ammo. My old Mark 11 would shoot most any brand reliably.
Good to know. I’m most worried about malfunctions. I want it to be something that won’t jam up all the time.

I’m looking to pick up a semi auto 22 pistol to teach my daughters, but want to have it for general use as well.

I’ve watched a lot of Internet videos and read Internet ratings sites and I’m not really any closer to choosing one. (I did not easily find the answer to my question on a recent thread).

What’s most important to me Is reliability and long lasting quality. For the most part I will use it for target shooting and plinking.

Right now I’m trying to decide between the Browning Buck Mark and the Ruger Mark IV but am open to other options.

There are also a lot of options available including the new Glock .22, Smith and Wesson recently came out with a reliable 22 pistol as well, but they are rather new.

If you have owned one of these pistols and have strong opinions you’d be willing to share I would sure appreciate it.

I've got a couple and would recommend the Mark IV 22/45 (a real breeze to clean, nice shooter, and a "real" feel with the 1911 sort of grip). I also really like the SR22 - probably put 2k bulk rounds through it just last month without cleaning. A couple jams once in a great while but overall pretty fun. For both, the mag capacity leaves me wanting (plus the price of additional mags), but don't think that's a problem for teaching kids.

I'd also suggest steering clear of the Taurus 22s or the cheap off brand from PSA that gets advertised often.

Neighbor has a Browning 1911-22 that's threaded and it's a dang hoot to shoot.

Good luck!

I love .22 pistols. I have an MK III hunter which is a tack driver. I have a Ruger SR22, fun little pistol that I picked up for my daughter to shoot due to how light it is. Nice shooter but not nearly as accurate as the MK III. I also have a S&W revolver that is also very accurate. Last is a Colt 1911 platform .22. Nice fun shooter, but again lacks in accuracy vs the MK III and the S&W.

Rob5589

WKR
I have 3, two mk3 22/45, one mk4 Hunter. All are shooters but I prefer the 22/45 grip angle. I too taught my kids to shoot on the 22/45's. There are a plethora of upgrade parts if that is in your future.

bird35

FNG
I have both, don't really think you can go wrong with either. They both have good aftermarket support and mine are both more accurate than I am. I shoot the browning a little better. Neither of mine are picky with ammo either.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I built a volquartsen lower tacsol upper/barrel just like a ruger mk, and I absolutely love it. Like most have said both pistols are great but I’m not a fan of the looks of buckmarks.