Best 223 or 556 factory round

kickemall

WKR
Hard to beat Black Hills 77 gr. sierra hp. I wouldn't mind have a little more gun for wolves though but a .223 will work.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
What I would suggest depends on your rifle, barrel- particularly your twist rate. 223/5.56 can be finicky with twist rates and different weight bullets.

Your choice of caliber is on the light side for wolf. 62 gr Barnes TSX/TTSX will be about as good as you can get. Stay away from bullets designed to fragment such as VMAX, varmint grenade and those like them. You want a bullet that will mushroom but stay together.
Here is one taken from a 175# whitetail shot slight quartering to, bullet lodged just under the hide on the exit side. Wolf should be no different in bullet performance. I highly recommend you choose your shots wisely and aim for broadside lungs or head/neck shots with a .223.

BdVMynQ.jpg

yPPF3Bi.jpg

Beendare

WKR
What I would suggest depends on your rifle, barrel- particularly your twist rate. 223/5.56 can be finicky with twist rates and different weight bullets.
Excellent advice^ I hunt coyotes with my AR .223 20" SS bull barrel and there is a noticeable difference in a accuracy at long range with some bullets. Mine likes the 55,60gr Vmax. I know a guy that uses these Vmax on hogs at 100yds and in and it pummels them.........but I dunno for long range wolves.

______