Best 243 bullet for deer hunting?

ebubedike

FNG
i have a kid who shoots a rem youth 243 and I have always bought the least expensive bullet, usually rem core look or federal equivalent. I have a chance to buy anything made by federal at a nice discount from retail through a friend, shop owner. There are several choices and would appreciate your input bc I will need to buy an entire case so I want to get the best, realizing 243 isn’t the ideal load but for Florida and Texas sized deer and hogs, will work fine

anyway, they have fusion soft point, regular softpoint, ballistic tips, bonded Nosler accu tip, and maybe a few others. My guess was, the ballistic tip might be best but not sure. Also, whatever u recommend, I will also get a case for my 308.

Thedeerfarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever shoots good honestly. There's a ton of good loads out there, and to be honest, for years not many people shot anything but a Core-Lokt. I believe federal does have some loads worked up with Barnes TSX which is an outstanding bullet if the gun likes it. As mentioned above, Hornady puts out some good loads too. I like the SST's and the GMX but cannot speak to the ELD loads. Best of luck and happy hunting!
-DF

From the list you gave I would look at the bonded bullets- bonded Nosler or fusion. With a small bullet in the 243 I like the bullet to stay together and not fragment like the ballistic tip.

Dcrafton

WKR
I have used the Barnes triple shock for years out of my 25-06. About 50 hogs. 30 deer and 2 bear. That would be a great choice as well for the 243

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I'm a nosler partition kind of guy and do like the 243 but have yet to shoot a deer with one. That might change this year - been shooting it right along side my 30-06 as I prep for a western hunt. It is my backup gun. Tack driver.

The 243 shot deer I've helped track were typically shot thru the shoulder and went 150 yards or so - the problem was the kids had difficulty marking the shot locations - kinda hard to find deer if you are looking on the east side of the road and the deer went west...

Guy I used to hunt with about 20 yrs ago used a 243 BLR and shot multiple bucks over 200# dressed with it. He finally lost one and stepped up to 270.

Put a regular bullet into the ribs and it should go thru and the deer not so far.

stump06

WKR
The horandy SST shoot really well out of my 243 and they seem to pack a punch. I've had bad luck with other bullets in the past but nothing but great things to say about the SST's. Shoot them in my 280 as well

Have used lots of the 100 grn interlock with good results, I keep hearing good things about the 95 grn ballistic tip for deer.

I'm shooting Hornady BTSPs in all three calibers of guns I use most. In my .243 Sako I go with the 100 grainer and it is great for what you described on out to twice that far for deer and antelope.

I’ve been using Partitions in my 6mm but am going to use Ballistic Tips this year. Federal Supreme factory ammo used to have Partitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Nosler bonded no doubt. My boy shoots a 243. I order him nosler trophy grade

Calcoyote

FNG
I currently am using the 85g Barnes TSX in my 243 and according to the Chrono it comes out of the muzzle at 3210 fps.

I would highly recommend the 95g Nosler Partition. It will produce a very impressive wound cavity and large exit wound. I know a guy that has taken 4 elk with that bullet over the years. I would not recommend the 243 for elk but I cant argue his results.

I currently am using the 85g Barnes TSX in my 243 and according to the Chrono it comes out of the muzzle at 3210 fps.

I would highly recommend the 95g Nosler Partition. It will produce a very impressive wound cavity and large exit wound. I know a guy that has taken 4 elk with that bullet over the years. I would not recommend the 243 for elk but I cant argue his results.

I killed a buck last year with the 85g tsx , dropped immediately

CMF

WKR
Which ever you pick, I would shoot them before buying a case. I've had youth rossi 243 and 223 that wouldn't shoot heavy bullets.

If it's for average size whitetail I wouldn't worry to much either way. Find a bullet the gun likes and you will be fine. I hunted with a 243 for 15 years or so and no deer that I made a reasonable shot on went more than 50 yards. I always shot 100 grain cor loks or equivalent Winchester rounds. I have shot deer broadside, quartering, and in the neck. They all died.

BigAl!

WKR
Federal Fusion 95 grain ammunition for my Winchester 243 is very consistent to 300 yds. I haven't shot past 300 so I cannot speculate. It worked well on a nice blacktail buck 2 years ago. Reading the input from members on this thread, there is an abundant of great shooting ammunition out there. Pick one and make sure it hits where you want it.