Best 275/75 (or 70) x18 AT for mountain roads

Been using bfg ko2 for quite awhile now and have never had an issue with 3 sets of them. My buddy just got a set of bfg km3 that are more aggressive and look like they’d be better in snow and mud.

ToolMann

WKR
I've had pretty much all of them at some point. I loved my Toyo MT when I had a lifted truck, although extremely limited snow experience with them. Were phenomenal in mud. Sold that truck before moving to Colorado 10 years ago. For a half ton truck I prefer the BFG TA/KO 2. For my 3/4 ton diesel the Falken Wildpeaks have been better than the Cooper AT3s.

N.ID7803

WKR
Cooper AT3's or the AT3 xlt's. Get them in 10 ply and you will never look back. I am a forester, I drive newly built logging roads. grassy roads, highway etc. In dry conditions, snow, deep snow, mud like you have never seen before, dust that we call "moon dust" in the middle of summer etc. Coopers have never let me down. And if you look around online you can find a 10ply set for $800-900 ish.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Cooper AT3's or the AT3 xlt's. Get them in 10 ply and you will never look back. I am a forester, I drive newly built logging roads. grassy roads, highway etc. In dry conditions, snow, deep snow, mud like you have never seen before, dust that we call "moon dust" in the middle of summer etc. Coopers have never let me down. And if you look around online you can find a 10ply set for $800-900 ish.
That's exactly what I'm looking for and thank you.

BFG's Ive tried a lot of other stuff at times and I always just come back to BFGs. The good year wranglers that came on my truck when I bought it were absolute garbage. Finally replaced them all with good ole BFGS and never had another problem.

Vandy321

WKR
Gotta love it when a guy lists a certain criteria (AT tire, certain brand boot, etc) and all he gets in return is a list of what everyone currently uses, whether it fits the criteria or not.

To your question, For an AT only, I'd vote Duratrac.

Super tag

WKR
#1 Goodyear Duratrac, a bit softer, best traction, best tread life, less noise.
#2 BFG KO seems like bit harder compound, good tread life, good traction.
#3 Cooper maxx not as good of traction as the others, always had to sipe them. these are the noisiest especially as they wear.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thank you again for all the recommendations. Now I can certainly narrow to a top 3 and then look for the best deal I can find. I appreciate ya'll!

Thx again!

ETtikka

WKR
I'm running Cooper Rugged Treks and they are pretty nice. Great all around tire so far.
what he said, more aggressive than the AT3, better traction than KO2, cheaper than KO2
I have some and am well pleased, good all around tire

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
what he said, more aggressive than the AT3, better traction than KO2, cheaper than KO2
I have some and am well pleased, good all around tire

Those look wicked...

fmyth

WKR
Appreciate the comments guys, and I was going to ask about chains as well, so thank you for beating me to it.
What year is your Ram? I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel and had to install 1.5" spacers on the rear to get an inch clearance between the tire chains and rear brake line (at the caliper). I put 1.5" spacers on the front to clear the upper control arms but the chains hit the rear of the fender opening when turning. I settled on 1" spacers on the front and run a little lighter weight set of chains.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Tire shopping sucks. Seems like everybody is in cahoots on the brands ya'll recommended. None of them can be had for less than $1,100 and most well north of that. As a reminder, these are for a set of take offs for winter and trips out west. My "fancy" 22"s are my spring/summer fall shoes. So key priorities for the take offs are 10 ply (rating at least) and reasonable mileage.

There are a couple out there that are right at or just under $1,000/4 that I'm wondering if ya'll have any direct or second hand experience even. Both are 10 ply rated.

Dick Cepek Trail Country (MADE IN THE USA!!!)
Ironman All Country A/T

If these suck I will bite the bullet and bust out several more hundred.

Last edited: