• 165 gr. Nosler Accubond LR

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 145 gr. Hornady ELD-X

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 150 gr. Nosler Accubond

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters
Hey everyone,
My name is Tyler and I am new as a member to this forum, but have followed it for quite some time. I'm reaching out because I have the new Browning X bolt chambered in 6.8 Western. Some of the factory ammo is okay but I plan on handloading and coming up with some other options specifically geared toward Whitetail, and possibly mule deer between 100 and 500/550. I already have a couple of bullets in mind, but I'm just curious to see people's feelings on said bullets because there are couple that have quite mixed reviews, and hopefully I might learn of a couple new bullets to try. in general I like heavy bullets that carry a lot of energy but at the same time, shooting 150's out of the 6.8 (or "rebranded WSM" as some say) produces some pretty impressive speed that could translate into massive shock with the right bullet. Basically I'm looking for something that is going to rapidly expand while causing massive amounts of shock and ideally dropping the deer where they stand. This is my first rifle in this caliber and I've read a lot of great advice in this forum over the past year, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. thanks guys!

For whitetails all you need is a cup and core/softpoint (think federal powershok, remington corelokt, Winchester power point). If you want something nicer I would go to a Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Tough to beat the SST for a whitetail bullet. That's what they were designed for and they do that job really well.

On bigger critters, they can expand a bit too quickly. I shot a large mule deer buck with one at 100 yards a few years ago, and while the buck dropped in its tracks, the bullet didn't exit on a broadside double lung shot. So for muleys and up, I use a tougher bullet now.

OP
AirborneA$$hole
For whitetails all you need is a cup and core/softpoint (think federal powershok, remington corelokt, Winchester power point). If you want something nicer I would go to a Nosler Ballistic Tip.
See I have heard mixed reviews on the Nosler ballistic tip/ballistic silvertip. I have read that when they are going too fast, which is quite possible with the 6.8, that they basically fragment and implode without any exit wound. Has that been your experience?

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. Whitetails are not all that tough to kill. Shoot a deer with a 130-150gr Interlock, Hot Cor, etc and they'll drop or at least give a good blood trail for the short distance they run. If you want something a touch better for longer shots, the SST or NBT will also do just fine. The best blood trail I ever had on a rifle shot deer was with a 100gr Power-Point out of a .243 on a double lunged doe. Looked like someone cut the bottom out of a paint can with pieces of lung tissue along the way.

OP
AirborneA$$hole
Tough to beat the SST for a whitetail bullet. That's what they were designed for and they do that job really well.

On bigger critters, they can expand a bit too quickly. I shot a large mule deer buck with one at 100 yards a few years ago, and while the buck dropped in its tracks, the bullet didn't exit on a broadside double lung shot. So for muleys and up, I use a tougher bullet now.
That makes sense, mule deer tend to be a little bit broader and stockier than whitetails. I’ve heard good things about the SST bullets though. We will just have to see how handloading goes. My only worry is that they would expand too quickly considering that the 6.8 western pushes a 170 grain bullet at over 2900 ft./s

sram9102

WKR
I feel like your limiting the intent of the 6.8 shooting anything less than 160 grains. I would pick those bergers and go kill stuff.

OP
AirborneA$$hole
Agreed. Whitetails are not all that tough to kill. Shoot a deer with a 130-150gr Interlock, Hot Cor, etc and they'll drop or at least give a good blood trail for the short distance they run. If you want something a touch better for longer shots, the SST or NBT will also do just fine. The best blood trail I ever had on a rifle shot deer was with a 100gr Power-Point out of a .243 on a double lunged doe. Looked like someone cut the bottom out of a paint can with pieces of lung tissue along the way.
Awesome, thank you for the advice. One bullet that I have been really considering is the cutting edge lazer. It is a copper monolithic bullet that sheds 3 to 4 paddles upon entrance and creates massive shock while the backend of the bullet could through to make an exit. I’ve read reviews that they work great, and an almost equal amount saying they are not worth it.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, thank you for the advice. One bullet that I have been really considering is the cutting edge lazer. It is a copper monolithic bullet that sheds 3 to 4 paddles upon entrance and creates massive shock while the backend of the bullet could through to make an exit. I’ve read reviews that they work great, and an almost equal amount saying they are not worth it.
I'm sure some people like that idea but I don't have much faith in a 10-15gr petal causing a whole lot of damage. Additionally, when they come off, all of your expansion for an exit goes away and you end up with a caliber sized exit hole. Personally, I want that second hole to allow as much blood coming out as possible.

See I have heard mixed reviews on the Nosler ballistic tip/ballistic silvertip. I have read that when they are going too fast, which is quite possible with the 6.8, that they basically fragment and implode without any exit wound. Has that been your experience?
The 1st generation Ballistic Tips came apart very easily and unfortunately that narrative still exists all over forums, etc. The ones you would have now in 2022 will expand consistently with cup or core bullets.

I like shooting deer with softer bullets because I like seeing them drop where they stand, or within a few yards of it. At the extended ranges you mentioned shooting the mule deer, the bullet will definitely be going slower and have a more controlled expansion, so I think a BT would be just fine then too.

I've had good luck with the Hammer bullets too. That's one to consider IMO.

I’ve killed an assortment of big game animals at an assortment of distances with TTSX, Silver Tip, ELD-X, ELD-M, VLDs, Accubond, ABLR, etc.

Very few “dropped in their tracks” when I didn’t take out their CNS (typically high shoulder). Most moved after the shot. Typically it’s a very short distance but nothing past 40-50 yards (knock on wood).

Take marketing material with a grain of salt and a tequila shooter. All of them will tell you their bullet is perfect and all of the others suck.

But at the distances you are looking at, just about any bullet will be lethal on deer.

EdP

WKR
I'm a huge fan of Sierra Gamekings and have had good results with them. I love the way they fly, they are effective particularly on deer sized game, but I don't think they are the "best" bullet. They ARE good and are as good a bullet as folks had to use for many decades before bonded bullets and monometal bullets came along. I think the Nosler Accubond is a better bullet on game, they also shoot very well, and are twice the price of GKs. For whitetails under 300 yds I would go with the GK. In other situations the extra cost for ABs is justified IMO.

elkguide

WKR
If you're talking mostly about whitetails, the question is, "Do you want one hole or two?" And that will generally apply to mule deer as well. I have used most of the bullets that you mentioned (and a few more) and what I use most now are Hornady SSTs or their ELD Xs or Ms, Nosler Ballistic Tips and Berger VLDs. These are all bullets that don't usually punch right through to give you the second hole for more blood loss and better tracking BUT I like the explosive, dump everything inside and watch the target animal fall over on the spot or maybe take one or two very unsteady steps. I don't like long tracking jobs.

OP
AirborneA$$hole
I'm sure some people like that idea but I don't have much faith in a 10-15gr petal causing a whole lot of damage. Additionally, when they come off, all of your expansion for an exit goes away and you end up with a caliber sized exit hole. Personally, I want that second hole to allow as much blood coming out as possible.
That’s another good point as well that I didn’t consider. I agree that the exit hole should dump blood to kill the animal quicker and it’ll leave a good blood trail if you have to track it. It’s just the appeal of seeing the Cutting edge bullets cause instant dirt naps. Then again, that was their promotions video so of course they want it to look awesome.

If you're talking mostly about whitetails, the question is, "Do you want one hole or two?" And that will generally apply to mule deer as well. I have used most of the bullets that you mentioned (and a few more) and what I use most now are Hornady SSTs or their ELD Xs or Ms, Nosler Ballistic Tips and Berger VLDs. These are all bullets that don't usually punch right through to give you the second hole for more blood loss and better tracking BUT I like the explosive, dump everything inside and watch the target animal fall over on the spot or maybe take one or two very unsteady steps. I don't like long tracking jobs.
I grew up bowhunting so tracking jobs don't worry me at all. I do like two holes and don't like bloodshot meat, so I have been moving toward more durable bullets through the airbags. Typically there is a 20-70 yard run involved but that's no biggie to me.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
That’s another good point as well that I didn’t consider. I agree that the exit hole should dump blood to kill the animal quicker and it’ll leave a good blood trail if you have to track it. It’s just the appeal of seeing the Cutting edge bullets cause instant dirt naps. Then again, that was their promotions video so of course they want it to look awesome.
Of course a promotional video makes their product look great.
I grew up bowhunting so tracking jobs don't worry me at all. I do like two holes and don't like bloodshot meat, so I have been moving toward more durable bullets through the airbags. Typically there is a 20-70 yard run involved but that's no biggie to me.
I agree. I want two holes in anything I put a bullet into. That's why I'm not a fan of the ELD-X. I shot a caribou with one and it was DRT but did not exit. Granted it took out the spine and any bullet would have resulted in a DRT result.

RedSnake

FNG
The .277 150 gr Nosler Partition is a great all around bullet and at 6.8 western velocities it would really shine.

For my 6.8 Western, I’ll be loading the 170 gr Berger EOL and also 126 Hammer Hunters

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
The .277 150 gr Nosler Partition is a great all around bullet and at 6.8 western velocities it would really shine.

For my 6.8 Western, I’ll be loading the 170 gr Berger EOL and also 126 Hammer Hunters
126 Hammers should be screaming out of the 6.8 Winchester Shorter Magnum