Best .300WSM bullet for elk

Marble

WKR
r
ef42b29d316df7fd3ab360ac560467b5.jpg
9c1cdc85c85bb1dc5f3c644c532a5110.jpg
806db8250fcb9a8912380780500b3fab.jpg

These are the 4 I have in my shopping cart as of right now. Is their anyone of these I should eliminate for elk? Their is somewhat of an ammonia shortage so a lot is currently sold out or on back order . 3/4 are 180g and the Hornady is 200g. I wanted to try the Barnes vortex but those are also sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't buy all 4. Just 1 at a time. If I were to choose a factory load it would be the Nosler ammo with nosler brass and the 180 AB. It will shoot.

OP
TonySkyline
Yeah I think I’ll start with those accubonds and maybe grab 1 more to see how they compare but accubonds seem the way to go so far for elk anyway.

Elkangle

WKR
While it maybe more work then youd prefer...but also consider hammer bullets...they will build you custom ammunition for your rifle

My 300 wsm is running a 166 grain hammer @ nearly 3100 fps

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot big bulls with 180 gr Accubonds out of a couple of different 300WSM rifles. Most were shot around 200yds with the farthest around 400. I usually shot for a double lung and they would normally wobble around up to 30yds and tip over. The lungs were destroyed and the bullet often stopped under the far hide. They seemed more than adequate.

Marble

WKR
What is the best 300 WSM brass out there? Norma?
I haven't used them.

My preference is:
Nosler or lapua
Winchester
Hornady
Nothing

The Remington brass is very hard. It's difficult to resize for me. The hornady lasts a very long time and is easily annealed. Nosler and lapua are very consistent in dimension. The thickness of the brass is very uniform too.

I haven't used them.

My preference is:
Nosler or lapua
Winchester
Hornady
Nothing

The Remington brass is very hard. It's difficult to resize for me. The hornady lasts a very long time and is easily annealed. Nosler and lapua are very consistent in dimension. The thickness of the brass is very uniform too.

Lapua doesn't make WSM brass.

Norma and Nosler are probably your best bet in 300 WSM. Would be nice if ADG or Peterson picked it up already..

Back in February I inquired about .300wsm with ADG. This was the response.

300 WSM is being seriously considered but no definite plans at this time. At this time it’s just a matter of production bandwidth; we know the demand there.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nosler custom in .300 wsm.

I recently started shooting the Hornady 200 ELD-X. The accuracy is unreal for me.

I have shot 180 nosler partitions and Accubonds in the past and accuracy was good and anything I shot tipped over. The partition has been one of the most successful hunting bullets ever. Most all bullet manufacturers compare their new designs to the partition.

I’m gonna switch over to the 200gr ELD-X for this season. The accuracy for me is that much better.

Good luck.

Teaman1

WKR
I’ve only shot one elk, but it was with a 300 wsm with Factory Nosler 180 grain accubond. Elk went ten yards and tipped over. Had a 1” exit and DESTROYED the lungs

rootacres

WKR
I’m sure this has been brought up but never seen a thread just for this cartridge. I am having a new rifle done from HCA based off a tikka action with a carbon stock and carbon barrel. It’s getting all the work done so I know it will be a straight shooter especially with all the positive feedback on here about Mikes work. I was originally going with a 7mm rem but I thought since I allready have a really nice one I’m comfortable with I might as well up it to a heavier caliber dedicated for elk sized game. I picked the .300wsm out of the 3 he is working on (7mm saum, 6.5prc, and 300wsm). Picked the .300 mainly because it is the heaviest out of the 3 and the most readily available stock ammo by far out of the 3. I do not hand load, I repeat I do NOT hand load unfortunately. Maybe I will in the future but not right now.
So for hunting out west, elk, mule deer, and maybe a moose eventually but mostly elk what is the best stock bullet I can get? I’d like to stay above 170grain bullets and ideally under 200. Reason being, is that 200+ might make me uncomfortable with the kick with that light of a rifle (never had an issue with recoil) and I want to remain as accurate as possible. Do not want to go to light because I could have just kept the 700 and used my Hornady 162 grain sst super performance bullets that absolutely crushed deer. I shot an 8 point at 430 yards this past season with them and it dropped him.
What type of bullet am I looking for? Do I want a ballistic tip like those super performance ones have and the federal premium terminal ascent, and Winchester silver tips? I’ve heard nosler mentioned in researching this but idk. Any info from seasoned elk slayers is definitely appreciated folks.
Thanks ahead of time and stay safe
Tony

The 180gr accubonds shot awesome out of my WSM. I do reload, but literally went straight to Nosler's load data site and made up exactly what they had down as the most accurate. I imagine their factory stuff is great. Ive heard the ELDX Precision Hunter (200 gr ELDX) from Hornady is a good factory round too. Either of those two would be great.

OP
TonySkyline
I found some Norma “nosler accubonds” a bit cheaper than the nosler accubonds. What Is the difference? Just different brass?