Best .300WSM bullet for elk

rootacres

WKR
I found some Norma “nosler accubonds” a bit cheaper than the nosler accubonds. What Is the difference? Just different brass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The seating depths and powders used can be different and not as consistent from case to case. My experience, and someone else can chime in, is that Nosler branded factory ammunition is very consistent from case to case and box to box. Some others are good, and some others aren't as good.

After a season of Elk hunting what did you .300 WSM guys prefer? The 200gr eld-x is intriguing.

T28w

WKR
Noticed that the two guys that were having hells canyon builds did not hand load. I wondered what effect it would have as the gun says it’s setup to shoot the Berger 215s.

OP
TonySkyline
I just got my rifle a few weeks ago and haven't ran anything through it yet. I've only been able to find one type of ammo online that was 180g or more.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
This is so simple, just find some Nosler 180 grain accubonds and go kill elk. It will kill them as far as you are likely to shoot. In my 300wsm they usually grouped about 1'' plus or minus.

T28w

WKR
I just got my rifle a few weeks ago and haven't ran anything through it yet. I've only been able to find one type of ammo online that was 180g or more.

Did u discuss it with the builder of the rifle?

OP
TonySkyline
Yes, he said factory loads would be fine with it but didn't reccomend anything specific. Im going to get 4 or 5 different ones between 180-220 and see which is the most accurate. Ive got a custom dial so I need to figure this out before I send it in. Problem is finding ammo right now. I really wish I got into loading before the pandemic and had everything already.

wytx

WKR
I'll be honest, he was on 3 legs so any bullet probably would have worked just fine. I have taken almost all of my elk with 165-168 gr bonded bullets, cows and bulls.
Spouse is an accubond devotee, 180 gr. in his 300wsm.

OP
TonySkyline
Anyone tried the norma 180g oryx ammo? Only one I could get my hands on so far. Its on the way. Ive seen nothing available from nosler.

Jon C

FNG
I like Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr ELD-X. That's what I shoot out of my 300 WSM.

I gave been considering the Terminal Ascent, you mentioned.

A 180gr Nosler Partition is never wrong for big game.

>>>----JAKE----->
That’s what I’m shooting in mine. Stock tikka light scope. Knocks the snot out of me shooting has quite the wallop. I’ve shot a rem 700 300 rum without break and it’s mild compared to that tikka with 200 gr.

HookUp

WKR
I/m 4/4 with 180 grain Nosler AB. I would like to work up some 200 grain if I could get my hands on some RL 26.
But I have been very happy with the 180 AB and none of the four elk I have shot went more than 20 yards.

Seeknelk

WKR
Call custom cartridge, have em load ya some 154 hammer hunters. If you want the best . But $$$😳. Wayyyyyy cheaper than that rifle tho and its what does the killing. I handload so my thoughts went hammer. 0-500 yards , B.C hardly has any effect but speed, accuracy and terminal performance does.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Only one in our group shoots the 300 wsm and he is deadly out past 1000 yrds in a Christensen gun, shoots the Federal Premium with the Berger VLD at 185 gr bullets, his numbers match our 300 wm almost exactly and he dropped his Elk cleanly last year at over 400 yards