Best 308 mountain rifle under $1500

Datslab

FNG
I am looking to pick up a rifle under $1500 that will be mostly used for long mountain treks, I’m going to get it chambered in .308

These are the things that matter to me:

Reliability
Accuracy
Durability
Decent trigger
Lightweight (sub 8 lbs is perfect)
Threaded barrel
Not really too worried about aftermarket options usually the only thing I do is trigger jobs and sometimes limb savers if the buttpad sucks.

My number one choice right now is a tikka veil in .308 that I can pick up for $1k. Seems like a great price to me but obviously am wanting to hear other peoples input.

LightFoot

WKR
Tikka is a great choice.

Kimber Hunter (then have your smith thread it)
Kimber Montana (if you can find one)

Browning HC Speed

Savage Ultralite

Believe it or not... Ruger American may fit your specs.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
8 lbs total, or just rifle?

Guessing total. I have an 84M, Barrett Fieldcraft, and a T3X Superlite. I like them all. I’ll rule out the Barrett due to availability and price. Between the 84M and T3X my choice would be Kimber if I could only have one rifle for mountain hunting. Mine has served me quite well in that role.

kota

FNG
That’s a pretty good list to start. I went through something similar a few years ago and ended up with the browning. Really happy with it. Trigger is a little creepy but handles great and shoots around a half inch (or better) when I feed it the right stuff and do my part.
Tikka

Browning HC Speed

Savage Ultralite

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tikka is never a bad choice. For that money, I can't think of a much better rifle. It is hard not to choose Tikka. Kimbers are nice, never had one or shot one. Seems like they are better than typical factory stuff.

I think I personally would buy the Howa 1500 carbon stalker and run it as is, except maybe cut the trigger spring to lighten it. The two stage triggers are excellent out of the box. Comes with carbon fiber stock and barrel. 5 round magazines. Rem 700 direct mount scope bases to save weight. It is a true short action, (rather than Tikka which is an intermediate length action running a short action cartridge with a lengthened bolt stop). I run a custom for my full size hunting rifle, but picked up a Howa Mini Action for a tiny and light rifle build my smith did for me.

The Howa machining and QC is far better than many other factory rifles, but Tikka actions and QC is really the best out of the box for quality. Tikka compare to custom actions with their extremely small tolerances and excellent finish. Howa does have the moa guarantee.

OP
Datslab

Datslab

FNG
8 lbs total, or just rifle?

Guessing total. I have an 84M, Barrett Fieldcraft, and a T3X Superlite. I like them all. I’ll rule out the Barrett due to availability and price. Between the 84M and T3X my choice would be Kimber if I could only have one rifle for mountain hunting. Mine has served me quite well in that role.
8 lbs for just the rifle. I don’t get too crazy about weight I have hunted with heavy and light rifles. I just thought that was a happy medium.

OP
Datslab

Datslab

FNG
Tikka is never a bad choice. For that money, I can't think of a much better rifle. It is hard not to choose Tikka. Kimbers are nice, never had one or shot one. Seems like they are better than typical factory stuff.

I think I personally would buy the Howa 1500 carbon stalker and run it as is, except maybe cut the trigger spring to lighten it. The two stage triggers are excellent out of the box. Comes with carbon fiber stock and barrel. 5 round magazines. Rem 700 direct mount scope bases to save weight. It is a true short action, (rather than Tikka which is an intermediate length action running a short action cartridge with a lengthened bolt stop). I run a custom for my full size hunting rifle, but picked up a Howa Mini Action for a tiny and light rifle build my smith did for me.

The Howa machining and QC is far better than many other factory rifles, but Tikka actions and QC is really the best out of the box for quality. Tikka compare to custom actions with their extremely small tolerances and excellent finish. Howa does have the moa guarantee.

Do you have any experience with the tikka veil? That howa carbon fiber is sweet! That’s neck and neck now! Thanks

Gone4Days

WKR
Kimber Hunter Pro (Pro has threaded barrel) just because Montana’s are hard to find. My Kimber 308 with rings and scope total is 6.72 lbs 7A368BBD-58FF-4C2E-B275-4BE0021639F6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Datslab

Datslab

FNG
Tikka is a great choice.

Browning HC Speed

Savage Ultralite

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Great list! I am considering a lot of these options too. The ruger Americans have been recommended to me before and have nothing against them; shot my grandfather’s and it’s great I just want something a little fancier is all.

Despite the fact that my grandfather has filled way more tags than me with a pair of jeans some flannel and a cheap hunting rig.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I haven’t had experience with many Tikkas. Can’t help there. I am fundamentally opposed to using the intermediate action for a short action, lol.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the best three or four. I think people get too wrapped up and forget that the differences are pretty minimal and won’t make a difference on a hunt. All our opinions about better are just that…

OP
Datslab

Datslab

FNG
I haven’t had experience with many Tikkas. Can’t help there. I am fundamentally opposed to using the intermediate action for a short action, lol.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the best three or four. I think people get too wrapped up and forget that the differences are pretty minimal and won’t make a difference on a hunt. All our opinions about better are just that…
That’s the only issue I can find with the tikka also. I don’t reload yet which if I’m thinking right is where the problems will arise.

I am looking to pick up a rifle under $1500 that will be mostly used for long mountain treks, I’m going to get it chambered in .308

These are the things that matter to me:

Reliability
Accuracy
Durability
Decent trigger
Lightweight (sub 8 lbs is perfect)
Threaded barrel
Not really too worried about aftermarket options usually the only thing I do is trigger jobs and sometimes limb savers if the buttpad sucks.

My number one choice right now is a tikka veil in .308 that I can pick up for $1k. Seems like a great price to me but obviously am wanting to hear other peoples input.
I’m in the market for a semi lightweight 308 as well, seekins ph2 is at the top of my list right now. I have a savage ultralite in 6.5 gender bender, and like that rifle quite a bit, but don’t like stock trigger, stock is functional, but I’m putting it in an xlr magnesium element, and put a timney in it… turning into less of a good deal to make it mine… the seekins looks turn key pretty much

I guess it depends on can you leave good enough alone? I have had a kimber hunter and a few tikkas, like both, and being left bone stock, I prefer both to the savage ultralite (just based on factory triggers alone)

OP
Datslab

Datslab

FNG
I’m in the market for a semi lightweight 308 as well, seekins ph2 is at the top of my list right now. I have a savage ultralite in 6.5 gender bender, and like that rifle quite a bit, but don’t like stock trigger, stock is functional, but I’m putting it in an xlr magnesium element, and put a timney in it… turning into less of a good deal to make it mine… the seekins looks turn key pretty much

I guess it depends on can you leave good enough alone? I have had a kimber hunter and a few tikkas, like both, and being left bone stock, I prefer both to the savage ultralite (just based on factory triggers alone)
Yeah I don’t really want to do much extra work, like I said maybe just a trigger. I’ve got too many other projects that I can dump money into. Just wanting as good of a stock rifle as I can get.

Yeah I don’t really want to do much extra work, like I said maybe just a trigger. I’ve got too many other projects that I can dump money into. Just wanting as good of a stock rifle as I can get.
I hear ya, it makes the search a little more of a pain in the ass finding that rifle you’ll be completely content with as is.

Nice thing about tikka is they have a very shootable stock trigger, and the kimber as well… I’m sure there are others as well.

If you don’t mind the tikka stock, it’s hard to go wrong with the niche you are trying to fill… same with the kimber hunter or Montana

The new carbon Howa are very interesting too

I really like vertical grips, they are just easier for me to shoot well in field positions, so that’s a consideration for me… I think tikka has a vertical grip option now.

I only have use for so many rifles, so I don’t want to compromise much or it will cost more later

Not saying that applies to you, just make sure the rifle you choose fits your needs or it will end up costing a lot more down the road

Last edited:
OP
Datslab

Datslab

FNG
I hear ya, it makes the search a little more of a pain in the ass finding that rifle you’ll be completely content with as is.

Nice thing about tikka is they have a very shootable stock trigger, and the kimber as well… I’m sure there are others as well.

If you don’t mind the tikka stock, it’s hard to go wrong with the niche you are trying to fill… same with the kimber hunter or Montana

The new carbon Howa are very interesting too

I really like vertical grips, they are just easier for me to shoot well in field positions, so that’s a consideration for me… I think tikka has a vertical grip option now.

I only have use for so many rifles, so I don’t want to compromise much or it will cost more later

Not saying that applies to you, just make sure the rifle you choose fits your needs or it will end up costing a lot more down the road
Yeah I completely agree. I’m on the verge of being a collector and I am really trying to avoid that. I like my purchases to be as versatile as they can or fill a role to a tee or it’s just a money pit trying to get them where I want them. I only need to get a decent .308, a 300 wsm or win mag, and a .357.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Just got the cross and so far I’ve really liked it. Ragged holes at 100 yards and if you have multiple shooters the adjustablilty is top notch.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have tikka and Kimber, I like both. For a true mountain rifle though, my Kimber probably gets the nod. It’s 5lb 14oz with the vx3i 2.5-8x36 and it easily shoot sub 1” groups with a few different hand loads. It’s a great gun.

I have a tikka as well, rokslide special 6.5 creed, sports match rings, SWFA 3-9 and a bunch of mountain tactical parts on it. I wouldn’t hesitate to take it on a mountain hunt either.