Best 3D and Hunting Sight - Archery.

Hey RS,

I’ve been playing around with a few sights. I shoot with my friend who has a Spot Hog and with magnification. It’s amazing.

I’m think about getting a Black Gold Ascent Pro.
I like the idea of a traditional pin with a sliding mechanism.

I have the Options 6 and found that, I don’t like to have crowded pins. Open sight picture is important for me.

Any crowd favorites for hunting applications and 3D.

I may go down to a 3 or 2 pin.

Wondering the most versatile sight.

Thanks -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sheer versatility, I think an Option sight takes the cake. You can switch from single pin to multi-pin mode on the fly, and you can remove any number of fixed pins if you feel your sight picture is too cluttered. I've been shooting an Option 8s for 3 years for hunting and 3D and have been very happy with it. I bought the 8-pin model because I wanted the larger housing and longer range of travel for the movable pin. I don't really need/want 7 fixed pins, so I removed 3 of them to declutter the sight picture when shooting in multi-pin mode.

OP
ArrowFlight
[mention]Benillim2 [/mention] yeah, that looks super clean. I like the sight picture and over set up for the sight. That’s kinda what I’m looking for.

OP
ArrowFlight
[mention]Mighty Mouse [/mention] I like the idea of taking out a few pins. That may open up the housing a bit. For overall versatility and strength, this gets me pretty psyched.

OP
ArrowFlight
[mention]5MilesBack [/mention]I know spot hog makes incredible sights. Looking for a good combo with the slider that can range past 100 for 3D. I’ll do some time on the SH website to see all their offerings.

I have about a dozen sights from IQ to Garmin and I like the MBG as the best all around. You can get the 3 pin pro slider with dual indicators. Set at 30 40 50 for fixed, just hold a little low at 20, for hunting and given time you can slide the top pin for 20 to 40 and bottom for 40 plus to get specific yardages. Through S&S you can custom order it however you want as well.

MiPublic

FNG
I'm likely going to get blown up for saying this, but everything you're saying is screaming EZV sight.

Out past 65 is going to get tougher, but under that, it checks the boxes. Open sight picture, good for hunting and 3D. 30-day money-back no questions asked or picked up a used one and try it out for longer and sell it if you don't like it and you're just out shipping.

OP
ArrowFlight
[mention]Blktailhtr [/mention] I like that idea. Sounds like a power move to custom order the pin set up. More so when I’m not a fan of red pins at any level. That’s killer, I hunt a grip of blacktail here in Central CA, and have my preferred presets for typical hunting. Sounds like the custom order is way worth it.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
CBE Tek hybrid Pro 3 pin slider. Simple sight with easy adjustments and the dial is very smooth. Not crazy about the metal charts they send with them but they serve the purpose if you don't make your own.

ZDR

WKR
I like the MBG Mtn Lite slider. I have mine set up with 4 pins. Works well for hunting and 3D. Really nice to be able to shoot 3D out to 100+ yds and still have a fixed pin setup for hunting.

Bump79

WKR
I've tried several sights including the CBE Engage, Tactic, MBG Pure Gold 75 and B3 comp hunter. I stuck with the B3 comp hunter. The quality and tolerances seemed way tighter than the others. It's also light and simple.

Joshk358

FNG
I love my Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL. Double pin. Works out well for my bow/arrow combo. 1st pin is 20 and 2nd pin is 40. Anything beyond that just dial to the correct yardage. I shoot 3D and hunt with the same set up.

CB4

WKR
I have used CBE (will never use again due to poor customer service), MBG and Spot Hogg.

MBG makes a great sight, I liked it a lot. However Spot Hogg makes an amazing sight and is above MBG in my opinion. My MBG the crank wheel was hard to turn and left me wanting more adjustability.

If you can wait 2-3 months. Put an order in now for a Spot Hogg with the new vertical pin housing.

OP
ArrowFlight
I like the MBG Mtn Lite slider. I have mine set up with 4 pins. Works well for hunting and 3D. Really nice to be able to shoot 3D out to 100+ yds and still have a fixed pin setup for hunting.
Thanks, that's great info looking at the sight now. There are so many options, its good info to hear from the field.

OP
ArrowFlight
I have used CBE (will never use again due to poor customer service), MBG and Spot Hogg.

MBG makes a great sight, I liked it a lot. However Spot Hogg makes an amazing sight and is above MBG in my opinion. My MBG the crank wheel was hard to turn and left me wanting more adjustability.

If you can wait 2-3 months. Put an order in now for a Spot Hogg with the new vertical pin housing.
I heard about the verticle pin housing that sounds super cool. From a quality perspective, I can see where Spot Hog takes the podium. I prefer smooth adjustments. It's human nature to like good mechanics.

dkime

WKR
I've been using my Spot Hogg 7 pin sights and 5 pin when required for years. I guess it depends on what class you're shooting.

Listen to my man here, if you're going to shoot a Fast Eddie or your MBG pro you're going to automatically be bumped into an Open class based on the movable sight. Granted this assumes you want to compete, if you're strictly looking to have fun with your buddies and could care less about what your scores are and shoot for beer money, then by all means shoot whatever sight you can whoop them with. But if you're going to try and compete youll want a horizontal pin setup to set your pins up to cover your gaps accordingly in the bowhunter division.

Listen to my man here, if you're going to shoot a Fast Eddie or your MBG pro you're going to automatically be bumped into an Open class based on the movable sight. Granted this assumes you want to compete, if you're strictly looking to have fun with your buddies and could care less about what your scores are and shoot for beer money, then by all means shoot whatever sight you can whoop them with. But if you're going to try and compete youll want a horizontal pin setup to set your pins up to cover your gaps accordingly in the bowhunter division.

Technically it's allowed, it's just the archer isn't allowed to make any adjustments once entering the course.

Looks like IBO also removed the maximum 5 pin rule.

It's a fight to use a slider in most 3d competitions, however technically legal.