Best 6.5 hunting bullet

tdot

WKR
Inside 300 yards I'd look at one of the lighter Hammer Hunters. The 99g HH should be around 3200fps. It will be a laser out to 350+ yards and likely out perform heavier lead bullets.

I've used the 124g Hammer's and been exceedingly happy with them. I've been dropping weight on each of the calibers I hunt with and have been seeing better results the lighter I go.

Rich M

WKR
I think Nosler makes a 125 grain partition for 6.5. Almost bought one because of that. Would be about a perfect setup for down here in the south. Bought a 350 Legend instead cause 99.9% of my shooting is inside 250 yards. Really like it too.

Anyway, a soft long range bullet can't hold together at higher velocities and close ranges. With the options of shooting inside 300 yards and from 600 to 1,000 yards, a guy needs diff bullets.

An option is to carry 2 diff bullets with you - paint the based of with a sharpie so you can't mix em up. Accubond, NP, whatever you choose for sturdy bullet and carry the gun loaded with that for close-up & near experiences. Then if you glass an animal 1/2 mile away, you can switch to the longer, more tapered and softer long range bullet for that shot.

You'd be surprised at how well different bullets will shoot with the same zero. Just need to know what to dial for the long range shot.

Don't over think it. have fun.

I was using a 115 gr Ballistic tip in my 25-06 but had one blow up on a bucks shoulder last year. Have went to nosler partition. Don’t want that happening again.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I'm late to the party here, but just wanted to share my experience with the 140 ELDM from a 6.5 Creed.

This is on a deer pop management hunts over the last 3 years, killing 82 deer, bucks and does, ranging in weight from young does under 80lb to bucks over 175.

Distances all over the map - 50 yards to 375.

The 140 ELDM has been a killer.

Not a single lost animal. Nearly 100% exit wounds with huge blood trails.

This is with the ELDM moving slowly, as the 6.5 Creed I use has a short barrel and I dont load for speed. Around 2600 velocity.

Its a killer, and I wouldn't choose another bullet for deer size game. I would likely use this same combo on goats, mule deer, and elk as well.