Best 6.5 mm for hunting?

EastMT

WKR
There are plenty of SA 6.5 options.

Fanboys right on schedule!

I finally broke down and bought one last fall, here are my takeaways.

My 90’s 260 is a hair faster with 140 partition, I’m not a fan of all those new fandangled bullets, don’t need 5” long ammo to kill a deer, it’s really not that difficult. I haven’t tried the 125 partitions yet but it’s on the to-do list.

For me I don’t shoot animals at 3.5 miles, so BC, drop, etc really don’t interest me as much as recoil for my wife and boy. If I can adjust 1 mil accurately by wind judgment I can adjust 1.5 mil. Then after buying one for them I kinda liked it.

It really doesn’t do anything for me that my old 308 dust collector doesn’t do at reasonable yardage.

I do have a 26 eargisplitten loudnboomer. It shoots 140 partitions as well, long story, no LR high BC bullets leaving that barrel again, ever, not even at 400+ yards.

If you are honestly avoiding it because of the fanboy against the grain as I did for so long, that’s ok. There are reasons to love it, I really like the Win Extreme Weather SS in the CM, it’s a nice shooter, nice recoil(less than 308 150’s). It is really nice to go buy a few boxes of ammo and test bullets out without hours of reloading tests. Then find one it likes, reload to your specs.

The plus side is if you buy something popular, it’s always easy to sell if you change your mind. (Think Swaro VS other high end, Swaro sells right now)

prm

WKR
The only guys making claims the 6.5 is a marketing fad only or requires a man bun haven’t shot one. Once you do you’ll realize it’s a better mousetrap. They are just compensating for some insecurities.

ah ok........

the x47 sure isn’t 3 times more popular than the creedmoor by top PRS/NRL shooters because it’s inferior ballistics, limited brass options, and less common and more expensive factory ammo. It is easier to tune and make shoot well.

OP
slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
I finally broke down and bought one last fall, here are my takeaways.

My 90’s 260 is a hair faster with 140 partition, I’m not a fan of all those new fandangled bullets, don’t need 5” long ammo to kill a deer, it’s really not that difficult. I haven’t tried the 125 partitions yet but it’s on the to-do list.

For me I don’t shoot animals at 3.5 miles, so BC, drop, etc really don’t interest me as much as recoil for my wife and boy. If I can adjust 1 mil accurately by wind judgment I can adjust 1.5 mil. Then after buying one for them I kinda liked it.

It really doesn’t do anything for me that my old 308 dust collector doesn’t do at reasonable yardage.

I do have a 26 eargisplitten loudnboomer. It shoots 140 partitions as well, long story, no LR high BC bullets leaving that barrel again, ever, not even at 400+ yards.

If you are honestly avoiding it because of the fanboy against the grain as I did for so long, that’s ok. There are reasons to love it, I really like the Win Extreme Weather SS in the CM, it’s a nice shooter, nice recoil(less than 308 150’s). It is really nice to go buy a few boxes of ammo and test bullets out without hours of reloading tests. Then find one it likes, reload to your specs.

The plus side is if you buy something popular, it’s always easy to sell if you change your mind. (Think Swaro VS other high end, Swaro sells right now)

Nope, not avoiding it because of fanboy status, although the fanboys are hilarious. They think it’s the greatest thing on earth and will do everything better. I especially love the ones that say “I shoot a 6.5”, and when you ask which 6.5 they give you the look of astonishment because they have no clue the number of 6.5 options out there that have been available for decades.

You pretty much said it as well, there is really no reason for the 6.5 CM, since it doesn’t do anything better than other cartridges that already exist and are readily available.

I also don’t just buy something, especially firearm related, simply because it’s popular, and I don’t buy them with the plan to sell them. I do my research and buy or build something as an investment. Hence me building a full blown custom switch barrel rifle.

As for the reloading statement, the sitting at a bench reloading and working up loads, is actually a stress relieving hobby of mine, so I’d much rather load and shoot rather than go buy a few boxes of shells and shoot.

Lastly, I decided on the 6.5x47L for multiple reasons, one is that it’s not a run of the mill cartridge and I like that aspect, just the same as for many of my other rifles. If I get tired of a cartridge, I put it down, and pick up another of the many I own, and shoot something else for a while, it’s just that simple.

OP
slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
The only guys making claims the 6.5 is a marketing fad only or requires a man bun haven’t shot one. Once you do you’ll realize it’s a better mousetrap. They are just compensating for some insecurities.

I’ve shot one plenty of times, it’s no better than my 260 Rem, actually not nearly as fast, and the 260 still keeps its accuracy at the faster velocity.

It has most definitely been a marketing fad.

I guess I'm not as educated ... In SA ..CM, 260,6.5x47, possibly 6.5)284, PRC (which is a magnum bolt face) .. any other common ones?

Evidently you aren’t as educated as you thought. These are just a few others.

6.5 SS
6.5 SST
6.5 SLR
6.5 Grendel
6.5 Rem Mag
260 Terminator
260 Ackley Improved

Last edited:
What you really want is a 6.5X54 MS.

A real man once dropped several hundred elephants with his trusty 6.5X54 before having supply issues with ammo and was forced to step up to a 7X57 for his ivory hunting.

OP
slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
What you really want is a 6.5X54 MS.

A real man once dropped several hundred elephants with his trusty 6.5X54 before having supply issues with ammo and was forced to step up to a 7X57 for his ivory hunting.

Actually the 6.5x47L gives you better velocity with the same bullet. However that’s probably due to the lower pressures required for the original guns chambered in the 6.5x54 MS.

Actually the 6.5x47L gives you better velocity with the same bullet. However that’s probably due to the lower pressures required for the original guns chambered in the 6.5x54 MS.

Lower pressure = longer barrel and case life.

The 6.5X54 and 6.5x55 proved the merit of moderate velocity coupled with high sectional density IS the utopia of riflecraft.

My friend Sam used to preach that to me 30-40 years ago when I was hung up on my .308. He hunted the world with his sporterized Sweedish Mauser and never felt under gunned.

OP
slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
Lower pressure = longer barrel and case life.

The 6.5X54 and 6.5x55 proved the merit of moderate velocity coupled with high sectional density IS the utopia of riflecraft.

My friend Sam used to preach that to me 30-40 years ago when I was hung up on my .308. He hunted the world with his sporterized Sweedish Mauser and never felt under gunned.

Barrels are an expendable. Case life has been dramatically extended in modern cartridges due to modern technology and better materials, as long as you aren’t running at extreme pressures.

Barrels are an expendable. Case life has been dramatically extended in modern cartridges due to modern technology and better materials, as long as you aren’t running at extreme pressures.

Now there’s some made in China disposable ideology right there.

EastMT

WKR
The problem is you asked about 6.5. That’s like telling someone my dad is tougher than your dad. People start peeing on each other’s bushes, marking territory hahaha.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a 6.5 fanboy. Creed, 260 Rem, and Sherman Short. Basically my dad will whip your ass.

Pick one and shoot it, just know that a 30 cal makes you gay...

OP
slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I’m a fanboy of a lot of different cartridges 308, 30-06, 375, 270 to name a few. Sorry I hurt your fragile feelings lol.

I can promise that you are very far from hurting my feelings. You are going to have to try a lot harder.

I’m a 6.5 fanboy. Creed, 260 Rem, and Sherman Short. Basically my dad will whip your ass.

Pick one and shoot it, just know that a 30 cal makes you gay...

Fanboys are way too predictable.