Best 6.5 mm for hunting?

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to nail down what chambering to use for an upcoming lightweight build. It will be a short action 6.5mm round, and likely a .308 boltface, although I could swap the boltface out for a WSM botface. It is a lightweight rig for hunting deer size game out to 400-500 yds, and not planning on a brake. I also load my own ammo, so factory ammo availability doesn't make a difference.

Give me your thoughts, and no I am not looking at building a 6.5 CM.

tdot

WKR
6.5 Sherman Short or the new 6.5 Sherman Max.

Easiest description of the cartridge is that it's an improved SAUM. Headstamped brass is available, reamers, etc. The ADG brass is top notch. Its just about the easiest wildcat that I'm aware of. It doesn't burn up barrels, despite its' performance.

I have the 6.5ss and I'm very happy with it. I watched its development over the last few years, and it seems to be getting more popular, not fizzling out, so I finally jumped on the band wagon.

EastMT

WKR
260’s are cheap, picked one up for half price of the exact rifle in CM for my wife last year. My bullet of choice is 140’s, and it likes them as well. Long story short I’m attempting to steal the rifle from her.......

I guess the question is what velocity do you prefer? There’s 6.5’s from 2200-3400 FPS, so I would base your choice on how fast you want it based on the bullet you prefer. TSX a little extra speed I’d say, ballistic tips or long range bullets no ultra speed needed.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I really liked my 6.5x47L. Great cartridge for for what you described in my opinion. I ran 123s in mine, as they were in the velocity range I’m comfortable with. No issues, with any bullet, fitting in a 2.8” mag box. That was what got my initial attention.

Recoil was next to nothing even on a lightweight Kimber build. I would probably go the same way again, especially if I was going to be using a blind mag, or BDL style bottom metal.

If I was planning on using DBM (AICS mags), I believe I would just go with the .260.

Out to 500 yards any of them will be much more alike than different. I’d pick the one that fits your magazine limitations best, make sure you can get quality brass for it without too much aggravation, and not worry about it.

TauPhi111

WKR
with his requirements I am surprised no one has suggested the 6.5-284. That round seemed to be the premier 6.5 round out there until the CM came along. But it has everything you are looking for, lots of reloading availability, 308 bolt face, high velocity, short action. Give it a look.

Also, there is the 260 AI. That will put you close to the 6.5-284 in terms of velocity, and you'll fit one more in the mag. Only thing is you need to fire form brass, which I can tell you from experience, is kind of a pain. Great round though.

OP
slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still narrowing this down. I have always wanted a 6.5x47L, but as someone mentioned, the DBM length would better suit something of the 260 length. I have also always thought about a 260 AI, as I already have a few AI or similar wildcat cartridges so fireforming is nothing new. Another that I have looked into is the 6.5 Super LR, which is sort of a long version of the 6.5x47L. Decisions Decisions!

This will be a full custom build

Bighorn Origin
22" Proof 1:8 barrel
TriggerTech Special trigger
McMillan Game Hunter w/Edge
APA DBM

Should be a fun little project when done.

6.5x47 is the easy button for consistent accuracy/velocity, that's no BS. For deer sized game in a LW rifle out to 4-500 yards there really isn't a benefit to more recoil/velocity IMO.

x284 isn't ideal for a short action.

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
That sounds like a nice build.

With AICS mags, I’d be looking .260/AI/Terminator. But again, not a ton of difference out to 500.

16Bore

WKR
Do you just need a non-Creedmoor to feel special or what? Seems odd you know diameter of the cartridge, specs of a “build”, but no mention of a particular bullet, no idea what power plant to get it there, other than avoiding a “particular” one.

Doesn’t make sense to me, but it’s your money.

OP
slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
My experience agrees a with this 100%.
I agree 100%, available brass and from what I understand it is stupid simple to find a load that shoots well. I also have to agree that the 6.5x284 definitely more efficient in a long action.

EastMT

WKR
Do you just need a non-Creedmoor to feel special or what? Seems odd you know diameter of the cartridge, specs of a “build”, but no mention of a particular bullet, no idea what power plant to get it there, other than avoiding a “particular” one.

Doesn’t make sense to me, but it’s your money.

Why you always so salty and confrontational? Some people don’t want to drive a civic, have a man bun, or shoot a (gasp) tikka. Just cause something is the most common, in style, easy to find, economical doesn’t mean everyone has to step in line.

Hell I am trying to get a guy to build me a 6.5 blackout just for giggles. Sure I could buy a Kimber 300 BO, or a howa grendel, but that’s boring. It would probably ruin your day when I get my useless 375 Raptor back, 16” shorty thumper sounds fun to me!

Doesn’t make sense to you, it’s my money right? Doesn’t need to. 37” tires and stacks on a grocery getter don’t make sense to me, but why get all salty every time I see one that’s never left pavement? Good for him, drive on by, no need to complain to him about his truck.

OP
slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
Why you always so salty and confrontational? Some people don’t want to drive a civic, have a man bun, or shoot a (gasp) tikka. Just cause something is the most common, in style, easy to find, economical doesn’t mean everyone has to step in line.

Hell I am trying to get a guy to build me a 6.5 blackout just for giggles. Sure I could buy a Kimber 300 BO, or a howa grendel, but that’s boring. It would probably ruin your day when I get my useless 375 Raptor back, 16” shorty thumper sounds fun to me!

Doesn’t make sense to you, it’s my money right? Doesn’t need to. 37” tires and stacks on a grocery getter don’t make sense to me, but why get all salty every time I see one that’s never left pavement? Good for him, drive on by, no need to complain to him about his truck.

Bingo! I like the way you think, a 6.5 blackout might be interesting!

Depending on your intended bullet weight hard to beat the 6.5-284 for 127lrx or 140 accubond and vld. But if your looking to run some heavy bullets the 6.5 wsm is awesome with the 156 eol. I have both and a 6.5-06 they are all super on deer. The wsm is starting to be my favorite as it is built on a customized kimber montana light fast and accurate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk