Best 60-80mm spotting scope in 2017 new or used under 1000 dollars?

I just purchased a Cabelas/vortex intrepid on sale for around $650 and am really impressed with it.

As far as I can tell it is the Viper only it doesn't have the fine adjustment, which I would probably pay for now that I have used it a bit.

I had it on the deck at the cabin this past week and was picking out deer at around 2 miles. I couldn't hardly believe it! I am confident that I would be able to determine if a bull was worth going after at that distance. The fine adjustment would be nice if I was trying to phone-scope.

I would think for most applications it would be more than enough. I have come to the realization that the tripod and head are as important as the glass. I would suggest not blowing your whole budget on the scope but make sure the tripod is well suited.

Boreal

WKR
For a little more than $1K, I just ordered the Meopta MeoPro 20-60x80 from B&H. They have a special price that shows up when you add the scope to your shopping cart. Great reviews from a lot of different sites, but the cost is held down by having the single, integrated eyepiece. I don't plan on using several eye pieces, and I suspect most hunters don't either. The single eyepiece also means it's sealed, less chance for dust and moisture to enter.

mcseal2

WKR
I found a used Swaro STM65 last year for right around $1k, might have been $1050. I'm very happy with it.

Napperm4

WKR
I recently picked up one of the Vanguard Endeavor HD 82's on here as a Father's Day gift.

They get a lot of love on this site and from the bird community. It's not exactly a Swarovski or Kowa but bang for the buck I am not disappointed as the family optics snob.

Side by side it blows my brothers viper out of the water.

They can be had used for about $400 which is hard to beat for the quality.

Haven't compared direct with a Razor but a lot of people say they're on par at half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK here is something to look at if you want a 60MM. Check out the reviews on the Opticrom MM3 60mm or I think they updated it and it is named MM4 for a light packing scope. I have looked at 1 and was impressed. I ended up buying a used Pentax 65 just because of price. I think some of the optics experts here should do a review or 2 on Opticron since a lot of guys like to see reviews on the mid priced items. I should be taking delivery of an Opticron 66 ED that I picked up used. New they are $1350 but I got it far below $1000. I will write something up on it but I am far from an optics expert.

JNDEER

WKR
I recently went through a little test of a couple and would put them in this order of best to worse.
Vortex Razor 65, Nikon Ed 65, Endeavor HD 82. The Nikon was close in many aspects, but the longer you use the vortex the more you just want to pull it out over the Nikon. I paid $500 for the Nikon when they discountinued them, $400 for the Endeavor and $700 for the Razor. I would say the Razor is worth the $700 compared to the Nikon. But I would be hesitant to pay $1000 for the razor if I could get the Nikon at $500.

Kodman93

FNG
I recently went through a little test of a couple and would put them in this order of best to worse.
Vortex Razor 65, Nikon Ed 65, Endeavor HD 82. The Nikon was close in many aspects, but the longer you use the vortex the more you just want to pull it out over the Nikon. I paid $500 for the Nikon when they discountinued them, $400 for the Endeavor and $700 for the Razor. I would say the Razor is worth the $700 compared to the Nikon. But I would be hesitant to pay $1000 for the razor if I could get the Nikon at $500.
Where did you get a razor for 700?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk