Best affordable rain gear

Dreed4

FNG
I'm looking for a good affordable set of rain gear. Have a hard time paying top dollar for Kuiu/Sitka/Firstlite rain gear. Anyone have anything cheaper that they really like?

I previously had the Core 4 Element rain jacket and was very happy with it. I just purchased the Browning Hell's Canyon Speed Rain Slayer jacket for my son from Optics Planet for $143. It should be here tomorrow, I'll check it out and post an initial review.

UtahJimmy

WKR
What application? Will you be using it in a stand, on the move, or just temporarily to wait out a storm (need it to be lightweight and packable)?

NDGuy

WKR
The newer Cabelas stuff in Octane camo I've heard decent things about.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
There has been some well-priced packable rain jackets and pants on Massdrop. I think they where Outdoor research band.

OP
D

Dreed4

FNG
It will be gear to carry in my pack elk hunting. It needs to be packable, but more than likely just wear to wait out the rain. Breathability would be a plus but most of the time I just post up to wait out the rain.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming

ljalberta

WKR
Marmot precip. You can get a set on sale for around 40% quite often. Full pit zips. Full leg zips if you'd like as well. Lightweight, packable, breathable, and cheap, but not for busting brush. If you do a search on this topic, you'll find quite a few useful threads as well.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
It will be gear to carry in my pack elk hunting. It needs to be packable, but more than likely just wear to wait out the rain. Breathability would be a plus but most of the time I just post up to wait out the rain.

I have a cheap, 1 layer eddie bauer rain jacket that does that. It's small, lightweight and usually sits in the pack unless a bad storm comes. It's in this video on the far right second row in the tan: Base Layers and Insulation

That said, I just picked up the FL ultralight rain jacket. I'm interested to see what the packability for that is compared to the eddie bauer one.

Bulldawg

WKR
I have a XL Russell Rain Jacket in Kings Camo, it was their APX line and it's pretty good that I'm selling, i don't think i ever even wore it just had it in the backpack for a couple hunts.

UtahJimmy

WKR

I was in the same boat last year. Could not justify the money for something used sparingly. Didn't want PVC (very light and packable) because it turns the inside of your jacket into a rainforest.

I got the Cabelas AGO set (on sale) last year and it served me well for the 3 times I needed it. It breathes but it's not super light or super packable but it's affordable. Outside fabric is quiet which was a requirement for me. 50% of right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Breathe/Breathability? From my experience, (C4E, First Lite, Cabela's, Kryptek), none of them breathe. If you're covering much ground while wearing your rain jacket, your clothing under the rain gear will become damp. There is no way that the waterproof membrane will allow sweat to evaporate out at a rate faster than your body is producing it. In my opinion, this science ranks right up there with the scent-lock clothing. If you're wearing your rain gear and moving, you will have to shed some under layers if you want to stay dry.

Received the Browning Hell's Canyon Speed Rain Slayer jacket today. I actually ordered this for my son, who is graduating from college next month and will be doing some archery hunting with me this year. I was surprised how "tough" the material felt, but the jacket is pretty lightweight. It seems to be very well built, has all taped seams, pit zips, and I found the ATACS arid/urban camo pattern much better in person than in pictures. For $144 shipped from Optics Planet, I'm very happy with this jacket.

GKPrice

Banned
if it's gonna hold the rain out it's not likely to "breathe" much - I've used them all at some point, hunting / fishing / working - from my experience Frog Toggs new lightweight tougher fabric stuff (I just bought a jacket at SW last week, $29.99) seems to be a good trade off for expense vs. protection from the elements - bottom line: the more you move the more you sweat so if you're moving wear "next to skin" that keeps you warm when wet

Been using the Sylo jacket for the past couple weeks (same as the C4E Torrent stuff used to be), and I'm impressed with it! Gonna have to pick up the pants at some point, just haven't yet.

Just an FYI - the sizing runs pretty big. My medium Sylo jacket is the same size or slightly bigger than my XL Jetstream.

OP
D

Dreed4

FNG
I've heard good things about the Sylo gear. Thanks for chiming in. I'll see what I can find