Best all around 6.5?

soupcan

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for a do-everything kind of rifle. I will use it for deer size game, occasional varmint shooting, and a fair bit of range shooting (although I have no intention to compete). There is an outside chance that it could be used for a elk hunt at some point in the future, but I’m not buying it solely on that chance. I had settled on the 6.5 Creedmoor as a good well rounded caliber. Then I started reading about the 6.5 PRC. As someone looking for one and only one centerfire rifle, I would love to hear opinions on the above two calibers, or any other suggestions folks might have. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Brendan

WKR
Elk, and the range you shoot deer and Elk sized game at is the wild card.

My choice would be PRC or 6.5x284 for a hunting gun. Creedmoor if lots of range shooting, smaller game, or shorter ranges.

Creed will work fine, you need to pick the appropriate bullet and know limitations.

Evergreen

WKR
I own both and would say it depends! If you plan on shooting at critters out to that 500+ range go PRC. <500 the CM works great IMO but would still limit any elk shots to 400 or less. I love shooting both rifles but mainly carry my CM for most situations as its lighter and more compact.

EmperorMA

WKR
Go with the 6.5 Creedmoor and don’t look back. It is absolutely perfect for what you want to do and it is more than capable for an occasional elk.

Ammo availability and price are more than enough reasons to go with it over the others. The difference is staggering. Available factory rifles, lower recoil and true short action compatibility are a few others.

FYI, I’ve owned 6.5x284, 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor.

I agree with Brendan but wouldn't dismiss the 260 Remington or even the 6.5 Remington Mag if a guy wanted to be nostalgic.

HuntnPack

WKR
+1 for a PRC, More performance. Perfect for what you described. Good selection of factory rifles.
Good boxed ammo. More rifles & ammo to come.
The creed is fine, Owned a couple,
Sold em to get PRC’s. Glad I did.
for me bullet selection, intended use, & performance is key, then consider what it takes to drive it.

Last edited:
OP
S

soupcan

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to do-all, one gun package, Why are you limiting yourself to 6.5?

Good question, and I’m not necessarily limiting myself to a 6.5. It’s just what I have started to settle on for an all around caliber. I though hard about several other options - 270, 308, 30-06, 280 ai, 25-06, etc. I would welcome other opinions on the matter.

OP
S

soupcan

Lil-Rokslider
Go with the 6.5 Creedmoor and don’t look back. It is absolutely perfect for what you want to do and it is more than capable for an occasional elk.

Ammo availability and price are more than enough reasons to go with it over the others. The difference is staggering. Available factory rifles, lower recoil and true short action compatibility are a few others.

The ammo availability had me leaning towards the 6.5 Creedmoor. I don’t currently intend to hand load, so I will be limited to factory ammo. I don’t think I’ll shoot enough to have ammo cost be a limiting factor, but availability is important. I’m looking at a Seekins Havak PH2 and it is available in both the Creedmoor and PRC.

Apollo117

WKR
+1 on the 6.5 PRC. Sure it doesn't have the nostalgia of the older cartridges being suggested, but it definitely has a better chance of availability.

Some people will mention that the 6.5 PRC burns barrels when compared to other cartridges. That's generally true, but largely irrelevant considering the low round count of the average hunting rifle.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Good question, and I’m not necessarily limiting myself to a 6.5. It’s just what I have started to settle on for an all around caliber. I though hard about several other options - 270, 308, 30-06, 280 ai, 25-06, etc. I would welcome other opinions on the matter.

I went through the same dilemma earlier this year and settled on the 270 win. It's not the newest, long range, tactical, lightest recoiling shooter, but it performs better than most and takes care of practically everything except dangerous game in a moderate recoiling rifle.

Only downside I can see with the 270 is a lack of target grade ammo, but we're talking hunting rifles so that doesn't matter.

SDHNTR

WKR
One gun all arounder for the lower 48? .308! Ammo will NEVER be an issue. Nor will terminal ballistics. You can get one in a short and light mountain rifle or a heavier target version if you want. It’s significantly more effective on bigger game like elk and bears, yet still fine for varmints. Plus, it’s not the latest and coolest skinny jean and man bun trend. Tried and true!

Fatcamp

WKR
The ammo availability had me leaning towards the 6.5 Creedmoor. I don’t currently intend to hand load, so I will be limited to factory ammo. I don’t think I’ll shoot enough to have ammo cost be a limiting factor, but availability is important. I’m looking at a Seekins Havak PH2 and it is available in both the Creedmoor and PRC.

That was my reasoning behind going with the Creedmoor. I now have three of them. I also now reload, soooooo...... 😀

Lawnboi

WKR
No way I’d commit to the prc if you don’t hand load. What are there 3 or 4 factory offerings?

6.5 creed, assuming it carries the velocity you want it to, to your hunting range, has an ever growing number of factory ammo choices in many different types and weights of bullets.

That there would make my decision. If I wanted more power, and I didn’t hand load, I certainly wouldn’t be looking at the Prc YET.

This. Take an honest look at how much or a gear guy you want to be an dhow far down the esoteric caliber rabbit hole you care to travel. I am not a rifle nut or currently a reloader. I have a 6.5 creed and think it is a great all around gun. IMO The difference between the 6.5 creed and those other 6.5/260 rounds is going to be lost on all but the most elite shooters. For the vast majority, myself included, the extra cost and challenge to keep those less popular caliber rifles fed is just not worth it. 6.5 creed is available in 4 flavors at my local Wally World, which tells me that it has gone from novelty long range caliber to mainstream.

If I didn’t go 6.5 creed I would say 308 or 30 06 if you want some more recoil in your life.

tdot

WKR
Since you aren't hand loading. 308win or the 6.5CM.

Ammunition options and availability are amazing for both. Pick a rifle and choose the caliber based on availability.

I prefer a 30caliber hole in game. But prefer to shoot my 6.5's. Anything I've shot with a 6.5 died quick, but it always feels like the 30 caliber just does it a bit better.

HuntnPack

WKR
Hornady PRC factory ammo is available in 2 options on shelf at my local Sportsmans, & LGS, As well as thru the numerous typical on line sources. Also 11different options available thru Copper Creek, plus they will load other bullet manufacturers such as Hammer, etc. also load development packs.
Nice if you don’t hand load but want to dial in your loads to your rifle.
18 options at Hendershots, Several options at Custom Reloads of Dallas.
Also check out Unknown Munitions,
He does custom ammo, & load work.
A few other custom ammo folks have offerings as well, so I wouldn’t worry about boxed ammo. & there’s more to come.
Grab the Seekins PRC & Go.
Also Seekins mag box is 3.14 so you can load em or have em loaded long if desired.

Last edited:

Bzn_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
This year when it was time to get a new rifle , I got a Tikka T3X SL Stainless in 6.5Creed. If budget was not an issue, I may have got a Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5Creed. But the Tikka has been awesome. Shoots 1/2moa with Horndady 143gr eld-x. Shot my deer at 422yards this year and it didn't even take a step. My buddy used it to drop an elk at 395 yards a few weeks ago. Walked maybe 20yards then dropped. I would definitely put Tikka on your radar if it isn't.