Best all around 6.5?

CorbLand

WKR
I cant say I would go with the PRC if you dont hand load. There arent many manufactures producing ammo for it so your options are limited. The CM would do everything you want and is enough for elk out to 500. You could push that with solid shot placement and it would still kill an elk. I dont see the need to jump to PRC unless you want to reach out and touch animals in the 800 yard range.

If you looking for a one and done gun its really hard to beat the options available in .270/30-06/7mm. Each pack enough punch to take on anything in the lower 48 and have plenty of ammo options.

Imo the 6.5 cm should serve you well with 130 gr. bullets but you really need to hand load for it to get the most out of it.

Easy choice, 6.5 creedmoor. Unlikely you’d ever recognize the ballistic advantage of a PRC but you would for sure recognize the cost and recoil adder. You’ll enjoy your range sessions more which is always good and might translate into better shooting.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I went back and forth also between the 6.5CM and the PRC and ended up with the PRC. I haven't had an issue with finding Hornady factory ammo online or at my local Field and Stream. I've also seen it at Cabela's. The most accurate so far has been the 140gr Berger Elite Hunter from Copper Creek. Although I think I'm going to try their Accubond load. I'm shooting a Seekins PH2 now btw. I ended up selling my Win M70 ESW in 7mm08 to get this rifle and am not disappointed in any way.

OP
S

soupcan

Lil-Rokslider
I went back and forth also between the 6.5CM and the PRC and ended up with the PRC. I haven't had an issue with finding Hornady factory ammo online or at my local Field and Stream. I've also seen it at Cabela's. The most accurate so far has been the 140gr Berger Elite Hunter from Copper Creek. Although I think I'm going to try their Accubond load. I'm shooting a Seekins PH2 now btw. I ended up selling my Win M70 ESW in 7mm08 to get this rifle and am not disappointed in any way.
Really appreciate the insight. What kind of accuracy are you seeing with the copper creek ammo? How about with the Hornady factory ammo?

6.5 or 6.5 prc. Ruger american has both in Go Wild under $500 and they shoot really well for the money. Low recoil and 1/2 MOA on the 6.5.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Really appreciate the insight. What kind of accuracy are you seeing with the copper creek ammo? How about with the Hornady factory ammo?

With the Copper Creek 140gr Berger EH I can keep 5 shot groups easily within 1/2" at 100 yards. The 143gr ELDX is within 1". We will see what the 140gr Accubond does in a couple of weeks.

OP
S

soupcan

Lil-Rokslider
With the Copper Creek 140gr Berger EH I can keep 5 shot groups easily within 1/2" at 100 yards. The 143gr ELDX is within 1". We will see what the 140gr Accubond does in a couple of weeks.
Very nice. Thank you!

MattiG

FNG
Hunted out of state last weekend and ran into some accuracy issues on the last day of the season. Short version of the story is that I stopped at the range and burned through enough of the ammo I brought to necessitate resupply at Dick's. They had CM but not PRC. I'm sure other stores in town had PRC, but I wouldn't have had time to go to any other store.

I share this because I scoffed at ammo availability warnings before I got my gun and figured that would never happen to me. Even so, I went with CM for other reasons. Glad I did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Since the 270 win was already brought up. I don't own a 6.5 anything, but that 6.5 PRC is a sexy round. Those 6.5's bullets buck the wind. But...if your normal hunting ranges aren't going to exceed 500-600 yds, the good 'ole 270 Win will closely match the 6.5 PRC with the same type of bullet in retained energy and will only give up a couple inches in wind drift. But the 270 just isn't as sexy...lol.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted out of state last weekend and ran into some accuracy issues on the last day of the season. Short version of the story is that I stopped at the range and burned through enough of the ammo I brought to necessitate resupply at Dick's. They had CM but not PRC. I'm sure other stores in town had PRC, but I wouldn't have had time to go to any other store.

I share this because I scoffed at ammo availability warnings before I got my gun and figured that would never happen to me. Even so, I went with CM for other reasons. Glad I did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I was in FS/Dicks today and saw only one box of PRC. To be honest I was surprised the first time I saw some there. Wouldn't have expected it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hornady PRC factory ammo is available in 2 options on shelf at my local Sportsmans, & LGS, As well as thru the numerous typical on line sources. Also 11different options available thru Copper Creek, plus they will load other bullet manufacturers such as Hammer, etc. also load development packs.
18 options at Hendershots, Several options at Custom Reloads of Dallas, A few other custom ammo folks have offerings as well, so I wouldn’t worry about boxed ammo. & there’s more to come.
Grab the Seekins PRC & Go.

for the cost of those load development packets you could get yourself a re loading set up and do it yourself.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Since the 270 win was already brought up. I don't own a 6.5 anything, but that 6.5 PRC is a sexy round. Those 6.5's bullets buck the wind. But...if your normal hunting ranges aren't going to exceed 500-600 yds, the good 'ole 270 Win will closely match the 6.5 PRC with the same type of bullet in retained energy and will only give up a couple inches in wind drift. But the 270 just isn't as sexy...lol.

I don’t know, the 270 might not have that modern sexiness but it has that old school appeal. I killed more elk than I can remember with a 270. Just a basic old Remington 700 ADL with a fixed power Bushnell, I cleaned that gun so much there was no finish left on the metal. Maybe I’m just a traditionalist, I like my 308, 30-06, 270, 375hh. I have some 6.5s but I usually grab an 06 for most things.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was in FS/Dicks today and saw only one box of PRC. To be honest I was surprised the first time I saw some there. Wouldn't have expected it.

I have 5 boxes of it sitting on my counter and I don’t even have a PRC. My non hunting buddy was heading into anchorage a few weeks ago, I asked him to get me 5 boxes of 6.5creed precision hunter, he got everything right except he got the PRC. Too bad we can’t ship Ammo to or from AK, I’d let it go cheap.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I've been really happy with my Sako chambered in .260 in the caliber range you mentioned OP. I've taken some real long shots on appropriate sized game with it and have been lucky to be very successful. I've also used it in some long range varmint shooting scenarios and was happy to punch a jack rabbit at 823 yards. Good thing he didn't know he was being shot at on the first try :ROFLMAO:

I'm a big believer in "having the right tool for the job" so a "do it all rifle" doesn't really exist in my hunting world. I suppose if I had to empty out the safes and only keep 1 rig I think I'd keep my 28 Nosler.

I shoot a little 162 Grain 7mm (.284) pill that still has 2,200 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards. In comparison, that's 100 ft lbs more energy than a 180 grain .300 Win Mag has at 350 yards! Also, a .300 Win Mag shooting a 200 grain pill out of the same rifle has 2,100 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards. The little 162 grainer still beats it by 100 ft lbs, and obliterates it out past 750 yards. Shoots flatter, hits harder, all with less felt recoil.

Do you need something like that to be successful? Absolutely not. I've killed more animals with my Dad's Winchester Model 61 than all my other rigs combined. That thing has probably killed 1,000 snakes, 3,000 squirrels, 1,000 rabbits, and put plenty of holes in hundreds of desert dogs down in southwest Arizona.

I've killed more deer with an old 18" short barrel Remington Model 742 than any other gun... That doesn't take away from what rifles and calibers are capable of today. Use whatever tool is available to help you be as successful as possible. For me, right now, and how and where I hunt, I'd roll with the 28 Nosler. Figure out what rifle that is for you and buy it and shoot it and enjoy it!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have 5 boxes of it sitting on my counter and I don’t even have a PRC. My non hunting buddy was heading into anchorage a few weeks ago, I asked him to get me 5 boxes of 6.5creed precision hunter, he got everything right except he got the PRC. Too bad we can’t ship Ammo to or from AK, I’d let it go cheap.

Can a FFL in AK ship to to a FFL in another state? This is how we have to buy and sell ammo here in California now (n)

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the 6.5 creedmoor. Ammo availability and price. 6.5 PRC is a caliber that I may get to play around with but I like having a rifle for every use and then some. At this point the think the PRC is here to stay but all it would take is for a company to really hit the 6.5 "magnum" cartridge on the head and the PRC will go by the wayside. You don't want to be the guy in 10 years running around with a 270 WSM complaining about ammo availability or even worse a .223WSSM. 6.5 is light recoiling, cheap to shoot and packs a punch. A 7mm rem mag would be a very nice compliment down the road if you want to start taking elk at longer ranges.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
The legendary Jack O Conner was very very successful with a 270 . Out to 400+ great on elk to varmints. Not
to punishing and if you forgot your ammo you can get it anywhere you travel.(y)