Best all around 6.5?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Can a FFL in AK ship to to a FFL in another state? This is how we have to buy and sell ammo here in California now (n)

I dont think so, its a hazmat issue not a gun control issue here in AK, We can order ammo in state but we get hit with hazmat fees. Im not sure but I think part of the issue is that they dont have any way to really ship by ground like they do in the lower 48.

6.5 or 6.5 prc. Ruger american has both in Go Wild under $500 and they shoot really well for the money. Low recoil and 1/2 MOA on the 6.5.

have you actually seen the PRC "in stock" anywhere??? Ruger website shows it in the "go wild" series with a "NEW" beside it. But I can't find one anywhere.

Run the numbers folks, the 270 Win isn't even playing ball with the 6.5 CM at any kind of extended range.
It's going to be hard to see any major advantage from the PRC without reloading for it. Factory loads are well below its potential.
Speaking from actual experience watching the Creedmoor kill stuff, it will get you well beyond your desired maximum range. Ammo is a breeze to find and much cheaper. The end result will be the ability to practice enough to actually take and make a 600 yard shot, rather than just theorizing about it.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Run the numbers folks, the 270 Win isn't even playing ball with the 6.5 CM at any kind of extended range.
It's going to be hard to see any major advantage from the PRC without reloading for it. Factory loads are well below its potential.
Speaking from actual experience watching the Creedmoor kill stuff, it will get you well beyond your desired maximum range. Ammo is a breeze to find and much cheaper. The end result will be the ability to practice enough to actually take and make a 600 yard shot, rather than just theorizing about it.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

This fella did the numbers & it's looks like the 270 beats it.

270 vs 6.5 Creedmoor vs 25-06

Edit : Forgot to add link ^

Last edited:

prm

WKR
The Creedmoor is plenty capable and ammo availability is exploding. Easy choice.
Though I like the design of the PRC.

tdhanses

WKR
I vote 6.5 Creedmoor, mine shoots great with high bc factory Hornady ammo and a box of ammo is cheap, like $22 a box or less on sale cheap.

The Creedmoor will have much better barrel life compared to the PRC and you can get ammo anywhere since it has become the new cool kid round.

I swore I wouldn’t get a 6.5 Creedmoor and then I had a howa that needed a new barrel, my new favorite rifle and it’s cheap enough to put 50-60rounds down the tube each time I’m out at the range.

brsnow

WKR
I have a 6.5 CM and will have a prc soon. I like the idea of more energy/velocity for elk with the same 127 LRX, my max is 450-500 but highly unlikely I would ever need to shoot that far.I want to hit the elk as hard as possible. My CM will be for practice and deer/antelope with a scope set up for dialing if needed. Really like my 6.5 experience thus far, replaced a .308, .280 AI, and 7mm-08.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
That's so funny, I was just going to use the same article to make the opposite point you just did. I think the other guy's point is about 600 yards plus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm confused to the other guy's point? The article only talks about hunting performance out to 500 yds & gives the edge to the Creedmoore out to 1200 yards for target shooting given it's better selection of target bullets. And the OP only stated a want for a 6.5 & didn't stat a set distance he planned to take game at.

Personally if it's past 500 or even 600 yards for hunting elk, then I would step up to a magnum cartridge. When the bullets drops that much kinetic energy then there are more issues with the bullet performing the way it should on heavy game animals.

Last thing a hunter needs is a wounded elk that runs off a ways without a blood trail after being shot at such a great distance only to die in some corner or bush that was overlooked. I respect the game too much to take unnecessary long range shots with mid range weapons.

Apollo117

WKR
That's so funny, I was just going to use the same article to make the opposite point you just did. I think the other guy's point is about 600 yards plus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but why do you think the 6.5 CM is better? Do you have empirical evidence suggesting the 6.5 is better?

Mike 338

WKR
Those North Euro's have been in the 6.5 game a real long time and it seems they still favor the 6.5x55. From the "behind the gun" perspective, any of the short actions are a joy to shoot. I like the 6.5x47. Neither the '55 (long action) or '47 (short action) can be accused of cramming to much cartridge into to small a package.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but why do you think the 6.5 CM is better? Do you have empirical evidence suggesting the 6.5 is better?
This is just anecdotal evidence from selling guns for several years and working with lots of repeat customers getting quality feedback. One benefit of the 6.5 creedmoor is that it is a new cartridge developed in 2009. When SAMMI (organization tasked with setting chamber specs and ammo specs) looks at a new cartridge it can set much tighter tolerances for both chambers and ammo. A .270 being over a 100 years old you must run a much wider spec so that ammo built today fits in a 100 year old gun and vise versa. It's pretty crazy how many guys buy a $500 rifle and bring back very impressive targets. 6.5 ammo on the shelf is much closer to a hand load than a .270 will be.

As far as ballistics go there is no doubt in my mind that a long action could beat out a short but the 6.5 CM is much more efficient. If you simply want to go off speed and bullet drop then I could say a 7mm Rem mag is better than a 270 and that a 300 rum is better than a 7mm. When you weight it all out I really like the 6.5 CM because it is so light recoiling, fits in a SA, and bullet manufacturers have spent way more time optimizing the 6.5mm bullet and really haven't put that much time or effort into the 27cal. Go check the prs circuit and tell me how many guys are sending 27 cal bullets down range. I'll give you a hint. It's zero.

This fella did the numbers & it's looks like the 270 beats it.

270 vs 6.5 Creedmoor vs 25-06

Edit : Forgot to add link ^

Depends what you consider beating it. It beats it in drop but loses in recoil, wind drift, and requiring a long action. If you're cool with the additional recoil and long action of a 270, there are 6.5 chamberings with a similar case capacity and recoil level that will further outperform a 270.

270's work great like any reasonable centerfire. I'd argue that a well chosen .270 handload would outperform a 6.5 creedmoor handload out to a long ways but it would be outrageous if it didn't. You're comparing a 30/06 case to a case smaller than a 308 case! Apples to apples, you can do better with similar case size by stepping up to .284 or down to .264 from any .277 offering.

Last edited:

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Depends what you consider beating it. It beats it in drop but loses in recoil, wind drift, and requiring a long action. If you're cool with the additional recoil and long action of a 270, there are 6.5 chamberings with a similar case capacity and recoil level that will further outperform a 270.

270's work great like any reasonable centerfire. I'd argue that a well chosen .270 handload would outperform a 6.5 creedmoor handload out to a long ways but it would be outrageous if it didn't. You're comparing a 30/06 case to a case smaller than a 308 case! Apples to apples, you can do better with similar case size by stepping up to .284 or down to .264 from any .277 offering.

I had only mentioned 270 win since the OP had considered it as well as a 6.5 Creedmoor. Out of the choices he listed I just stated I like the 270 for what it offers. Since he listed both action lengths I figured it was relevant. If I were inclined to use a short action cartridge i'd probably choose between what I already own, a 308 win or 338 fed. I don't consider short action rifles long range hunting rifles so anything under 400 or maybe 500 yards would be my max to deliver enough energy to the animal, elk are in the mix so I won't under gun any further than that.

If I had to pick the one with the best performance I'd look at the 280 AI, but the lack factory ammo made me buy/suggest the 270 win.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider

Well said. I actually have been saying for 6 months that you will probably see a 7mm PRC option available next year but if I have my guess you will never see a 27 cal PRC.

Well said. I actually have been saying for 6 months that you will probably see a 7mm PRC option available next year but if I have my guess you will never see a 27 cal PRC.

7 LRM is basically a 7mm-300 PRC and hornady already makes brass for it. If they wanted to stay consistent on relative extent of overbored-ness they could shorten the body length up a bit to get there while having the same case head and base dimensions as 6.5 and 300 PRC.

Drew

FNG
I have a 6.5 CM and will have a prc soon. I like the idea of more energy/velocity for elk with the same 127 LRX, my max is 450-500 but highly unlikely I would ever need to shoot that far.I want to hit the elk as hard as possible. My CM will be for practice and deer/antelope with a scope set up for dialing if needed. Really like my 6.5 experience thus far, replaced a .308, .280 AI, and 7mm-08.
I’m in the market for a do-everything kind of rifle. I will use it for deer size game, occasional varmint shooting, and a fair bit of range shooting (although I have no intention to compete). There is an outside chance that it could be used for a elk hunt at some point in the future, but I’m not buying it solely on that chance. I had settled on the 6.5 Creedmoor as a good well rounded caliber. Then I started reading about the 6.5 PRC. As someone looking for one and only one centerfire rifle, I would love to hear opinions on the above two calibers, or any other suggestions folks might have. Thanks in advance for your advice.
I would go with the creedmoor based on availability and variety of factory Ammo.