Best all around Trekking poles ?

Shrek

WKR
I loved my BD Ultra Distance poles but they should be labeled Ultra Weak poles. Snapped when I needed them and I fell hard ! I bought some aluminum BD's at Cabelas but they suck ! Spongy , heavy , and long when collapsed. BD's also only carry a one year guarantee so I'm looking for a better guarantee. What is the best combination of strength , stiffness , collapsed length , weight , and guarantee ?

I'd go with a Black Diamond Whippet for an all around trekking pole, but for most of my mountain hunting I roll with an ice axe...

I hear you about the warranty. I've been running BD Alpine Carbon Cork poles now for about four years and broke a middle section on one of them this last season. After shipping, it cost me almost $30 just to get that one section replaced. By way of comparison, I had a pair of Kahtoola microspikes for about five years and just recently tore out one of the grommets. I sent them both back to Kahtoola, and they replaced the pair with their latest greatest improved model and ship them back to me free of charge.
I wish I had an answer for you Shrek, regarding the poles, but I don't. I will say that the poles that I currently own are pretty darn stout and me breaking that center section was no fault of Black Diamond. I really do like these trekking poles, I just wish they had a little better warranty.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I've had the same pair of Leki trekking poles for probably 10 or 15 years now. First and last ones I've ever bought. Expensive at the time at around $150. They are the super makalu or something like that, with ergonomic cork handles, 3 position shock absorbers and twist style locks. They have never failed me on a lot of backpacking, snow shoeing, hiking and climbing trips over the years. I'm sure you can't find the ones I have anymore since they are so old but if I were looking for some new ones I would definitely be looking at what Leki has to offer.

Mike7

WKR
Shrek, I have had excellent luck with the cork handled aluminum Komperdell flick-lock type poles (REI used to repackage Komperdell as their brand and maybe they still do?). These poles are really stout and bend/flex some before breaking. I am on my second set of replaceable tips on them. I am a bigger guy and they have been used hard for several years. I did put Locktite on the little pins in the flick-lock mechanism preventatively when I first got them though after reading reviews on REI, and have had absolutely no problems with them.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I'm looking at the Leki Carbonlite XL's. The Leki aluminum poles are listed with a lifetime warranty but I haven't seen that with the CF poles.

Mike7

WKR
My wife has Leki poles which seem well built, but the grips are smaller and less comfortable to my hands compared to the Komperdell.

Weekender

WKR
Leki Carbon are only 1 year warranty and the aluminum are lifetime. Broke my old carbon off brand pole this year and went to Leki Micro Vario Ti Cor-Tec. Compact down great, very sturdy poles with lifetime warranty makes me not worry about beating them up.

jm1607

WKR
I learned the hard way that carbon poles as tent poles in severe weather is not a good idea! Snapped a BD carbon cork.. Customer service was good though..

I also learned that I really like cork handles..

So I run the Leki Aluminum Corks! Pretty much the best of both worlds...

Last edited:

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I've abused my Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork for over 3 years and they are still going strong. Only beef I have with them is the handle seems to slip or loosen up.

I have used black diamond poles for hiking and skiing for 15 years and have used their warranty / customer service multiple times after bending and breaking several poles with hard use. I think they make a great pole for the price BUT they DO NOT have the customer service they used too and the last time I needed a replacement pole they pretty much only gave me a slight discount off a brand new pair when the pole I had failed (bent about 15 degrees ). I only had this pole about 3 months. I still use their poles as I have 2 pair still going BUT will probably buy another brand after my last experience with their new policies.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Recently I read a blog post by Andrew Skurka and he really liked the offering from, believe it or not, Costco. He uses Black Diamonds, but offered some compelling insight on the inexpensive alternative.

Weekender

WKR
Recently I read a blog post by Andrew Skurka and he really liked the offering from, believe it or not, Costco. He uses Black Diamonds, but offered some compelling insight on the inexpensive alternative.

I broke one this year not gonna do that twice it sucks to have a broken pole

I bought my son a pair of the CF poles that Costco sells, and although he only has one season on them, they seem to be very well-built, and a little lighter then my BD's. Definitely worth the $28 that I invested in 'em.

Ive been using the leki aluminum flicklocks with the lifetime warrenty for about 4 years. I don't know the model but theyre awesome. They work great as tent poles & a couple times when I went to take a fall, I could feel them bend, [I didn't want to look] but they held all of my 240 lbs. from falling off the mountain. About $120 well spent.

2ski

WKR
Didn't Aron use the Easton polls a few years ago? I wonder if he still does and how he liked them. They came out right after I got my BD's which I have not used much so I can't give an opinion on them.

K2 needs to make trekking poles. If I remember correctly they bought the patent or something from Ugly Stik and started making really nice ski poles. That's what I use. They have not broke in the 7 or so years I've used them. And every pole I've ever had prior to that I've needed to bend back into semi straight after falling on them. These are still going strong.