Best all in one computer?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need a new computer for home and was thinking of the all in one desktop design. I currently have a work laptop, work phone (Apple) and an I-pad tablet (used for work and personal). I also have an Android personal cell and my old crummy laptop. The laptop is about to die and I don't see a need for another laptop.

I was thinking of an Apple all in one but it seems to be expensive for what you get. I have not used Apple for anything other than phones and tablets. but I do like what I have used so far.

My usage would be Roksliding (of course) and general use including streaming movies. I will not need a gaming computer and don't need any special graphics or audio.

What would you guys recommend for a new desktop?

tony

WKR
What are you meaning by all in one?
If you just want to get on the internet, write a paper or two, store music, etc. You could get buy with just about any name brand from best buy.
You want to game, do photography, thats another story. I've been on Apple products for years so my "PC" knowledge is a little rusty.
I will say ram, hard drive storage and graphics cards are something to keep in mind. I'd get something you can open up and work on, as in expand should you need to. I had good luck with the few dell desk tops I had years back.
I plan to go back to a windows machine as I'd like to game again.

tdhanses

WKR
Ipad is perfect for what you describe so not sure why you’d need or want to get a computer.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
-All in one meaning monitor and computer (tower) are combined.
-My I-pad is small and not something I want to replace a home computer. I use my computer as a TV also most days so having a larger screen would be nice.

I was hoping for recommendations for specific desktops from someone that has recently purchased one.

wyosteve

WKR
I switched to Apple several years ago and have the iMac all in one. I'd never go back to anything else. Yes, a bit expensive, but it's been trouble free, automatically syncs with my Apple MacBook and iPhone and seems to be more 'virus free' than Microsoft applications.

Brotoshi

FNG
Personally not a fan of Apple outside of iphone and ipad, and an ipad is not really a direct replacement for an actual laptop/desktop. Personally I just use a laptop as my personal computer - no need to have a big clunky desktop unless you are a gamer. Check out the Acer Aspire line if you are looking for something decent and affordable.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
For best “all in one” I would recommend a high end laptop and then monitors as big as you want for the “laptop as a TV” usage. There is very little advantage to having a desktop these days unless you do really high end graphics intensive stuff like gaming or audio/visual production.

If you want to stay in the Apple ecosystem, get a refurbished one. They always have them. I got a refurb MacBook Pro a while back and I swear if nobody had told me I would never have known it wasn’t brand new. Same warranty and everything too. Saved me well over $1K.

If you want Windows, the HP Spectre 360 line has been my favorite for the last few years.

Brotoshi

FNG
Yeah forgot to mention that if you get a laptop just buy separate monitors - that way you basically have the benefits of a laptop plus the larger screen(s) you would expect to have with a desktop.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I built my own PC for about half of a MAC price. It also out specs the mac by about 3 times in all categories. Will easily last 10 years before needing to upgrade and the best part is I can just upgrade parts and not buy a whole new computer.

If you like putting stuff together it’s really fun to build your own PC. You can even build a small little cube style PC that takes up very little space and then just have your monitor sit on top as an example.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I've been a lifelong PC guy (build my own all that jazz) but Apple's products are too good to pass up.

Best bang for your buck. Anything with their new M1 chips is going to preform better, use less power, run cooler (which is huge for longevity) and be supported longer then anything on the Intel \ Microsoft side.

edit: and run quieter my tower sounds like a helicopter. sure i could swap out the fans for ones with ball bearings and what not but that's additional cost and time

That iMac starts at 1200ish. If you bump up the ram to 16GB and the ssd to 512 (so closer to 1600) you'd end up spending more on the PC side even if you built your own. Plus that thing will just work with out you having to think about it for 10 years. The retina displays are simply glorious annnnnd they come with the magic mouse and keyboard included.

You can't compete with the simplicity, space consumption and total package with anything on the PC side built or bought out of box.

I tend to agree. Get what works for your needs, but I am in the camp of buy once cry once. I have had nice pc laptops but they just don’t last. I bought a MacBook used in 2009 and it’s still running, albeit a little slow. We just updated to the MacBook Pro and have no complaints. They just work and apple support is next level.

I had a friend who sold his mac 2 years ago because the resale value was so high he could buy 2 pc’s. They both have already broken and now he’s buying a mac again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
I switched to Apple several years ago and have the iMac all in one. I'd never go back to anything else. Yes, a bit expensive, but it's been trouble free, automatically syncs with my Apple MacBook and iPhone and seems to be more 'virus free' than Microsoft applications.
This....Windows sucks. IMac is a flawless gig...