Best Ammo for Backcountry Ti 300 Weatherby? (Elk)

Just purchased a 300 Weatherby Mark V Backcountry Ti rifle. Anyone have any experience/opinion on the best factory load to try with that gun? Going to primarily use it for elk hunting and was curious if anyone likes the Barnes 180-grain TSX or the Nosler 200-grain AccuBond. Have heard good things about the Swift 180-grain Scirocco II but wanted to see if anyone has thoughts. Thanks!

amassi

WKR
Are you going to shoot factory ammo?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
The 200gr accubond or eld-x would be good choices if they shoot well in your rifle. If going lead free the 180ttsx has a tip to aid in expansion

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

All good bullets! I'd go with the 200 gr AccuBond. A higher bc vs TSX (and Scirocco) make it better all around if long range shots are a possibility. Both AccuBond and Scirocco will expand down to 1800 fps from what I know, however I would feel better with 2000 fps for the TSX. However any of them will hold together and retain weight which translates to momentum for penetration and get the job done.

Last edited:

Apapro

FNG
You will find that with the Weatherby freeborn you will have much more success with flat based bullets like the TSX or the A-Frame even the ole Hornady interlock. Seems the flatbase and the freeborn go hand in hand. Have a .338-378 that will shoot Hawk RN flat base under .5" / Swift a frames around .3/8" and TSX in the .25" mark (actually had three fo under .100" (fluke? maybe). '
Tried some boatailed bullets in the rifle and averaged 3-4" at same distance. Some guys have had good success with Bergers and Hornady ELD's but it all depends on the rifle. Try a box of each and you'll soon find out.

Good luck

SDHNTR

WKR
There’s no shortcut to this. You’re just going to have to try several types and find what your particular rifle likes. Even another of the exact same make and model will show totally different preferences.

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
Just purchased a 300 Weatherby Mark V Backcountry Ti rifle. Anyone have any experience/opinion on the best factory load to try with that gun? Going to primarily use it for elk hunting and was curious if anyone likes the Barnes 180-grain TSX or the Nosler 200-grain AccuBond. Have heard good things about the Swift 180-grain Scirocco II but wanted to see if anyone has thoughts. Thanks!
200 Gr Accubond is a dynamite round my buddy just dropped a really nice caribou Boone Crockett and then a moose with it this year

Last edited:

Elkhntr08

WKR
My Weathermark shoots 180 TSX the best. My handloads, but very close to factory velocity.

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Federal premium 180 gr trophy bonded tip. I get close to 3100 fps & great groups. I never had an elk, from 200 - 375 yards, ever taken more a few steps.