Best app?

Trying to decide which app to get and could use some feedback on pros and cons or all they all the same. Also if there are any I don’t know that good as well. Right now I like onX and go hunt but wondering if there are better ones than those. Thanks guy!

I’m guessing you are talking about mapping phone apps?

Look at BaseMap as well. I believe BaseMap and OnX both have a free trial you can mess around, see which one you like best.

I have used OnX for a number of years, since it first came available. I have really got it down and like that I can share points with a lot of friends, etc, we even use it a t work.

BaseMap is very affordable. I do like it, although I’m not nearly as familiar with it.

Gohunt getting in the game should be great for everyone and I’m excited to use it! I don’t see them releasing a poor app!

OP
F
I gotta say that I haven’t heard of BaseMap until a few days ago while searching on here. It looks to me like the guys at BaseMap have good customer service with their users. I have read a lot of post with BaseMap actually replying on here. I think will give them a try. One question for y’all? Do the apps replace the garmin handheld gps units?

k.cooper42

Lil-Rokslider
I gotta say that I haven’t heard of BaseMap until a few days ago while searching on here. It looks to me like the guys at BaseMap have good customer service with their users. I have read a lot of post with BaseMap actually replying on here. I think will give them a try. One question for y’all? Do the apps replace the garmin handheld gps units?

For me, it is in addition to my traditional handheld GPS. I’ve seen way too many hunters have issues with an app crashing their entire phone or just the app crashing while on a hunt. I pack in on western hunts and can’t afford for that to happen so I use both my phone and Garmin. I use BaseMap on my iPhone and a Garmin Rino 755t. I just read through another post on here about Gaia and have been researching it too. I may have to download Gaia and give it a try to see if it’s better than BaseMap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natetnc

FNG
I used onX last year and like it. Also keep a Garmin Rhino with me.... for some reason can't fully trust a phone to get me out of the woods. My Rhino is old so pretty basic, I have onX for the bells and whistles but anything important goes in the Rhino as well.

Basemap has been good for me. They added some cool features lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oregonboy

WKR
I'm a big fan of Basemap, especially for $18 bucks a year (camofire), It's easy, intuitive, and works how I need it to.

BBob

WKR
I use GAIA, onX and Scout To Hunt. GAIA has tons of layers for more detailed info than onX can provide. onX is perfect for a more simplistic and easier to use map system and GAIA for details you can't get out of onX. Scout To Hunt is still fully free and is very useful in it's own ways. The main reason I still have onX is because friends use it and they like to share way-points directly through the app. I have access to GoHunt but almost never use it.

I love user-friendly mobile apps.I would like to tell you about a recent find. I think most of you know what OCR is. When OCR converts a physical document or an image of a document into digital data, users can search through the text using ordinary editors. OCR tools improve business efficiency in almost any industry.

WMag338

WKR
I've been using OnX primarily. Gaia seconary. I find Gaia has some very good layers OnX lacks, but i'm so used to OnX I get very frustrated trying to use Gaia.

To me, OnX is very easy and intuitive to use.

Kurto_15

FNG
I started with Onx and switched to Basemap the next year. For me they both do what I need them to Basemap is just a much better price. I recently got the GoHunt insider for the hunt planning, but haven't had time to mess with the maps yet

kolkat53

FNG
I use onx and I love it it’s only 30$ per year I think and gives all the property lines ideal for hunting public land.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
I use GAIA, onX and Scout To Hunt. GAIA has tons of layers for more detailed info than onX can provide. onX is perfect for a more simplistic and easier to use map system and GAIA for details you can't get out of onX. Scout To Hunt is still fully free and is very useful in it's own ways. The main reason I still have onX is because friends use it and they like to share way-points directly through the app. I have access to GoHunt but almost never use it.
Can you expand a little bit about what useful layers Gaia has that OnX doesnt? I've always used OnX but im not impressed with the actual data you can access

BBob

WKR
Can you expand a little bit about what useful layers Gaia has that OnX doesnt? I've always used OnX but im not impressed with the actual data you can access
IMO OnX is primarily a nav app and not so much for research but does what it does pretty well. OnX is a hunt based app and Gaia has always been more of a universal app geared towards all outdoor activities. Gaia has layers such as current fire, historical fire, avalanche danger, cell tower distribution, etc... You name it and there's probably a layer for it. Many won't care but it has options way beyond OnX. Some don't need or want anything beyond what OnX has but if you do Gaia has way more. I still use the OnX most often in the field for quick and dirty nav. It's where I put my tracks and waypoints I'll use for a hunt. I use about 4-5 different apps/programs (on phone and computer) for research, a single one doesn't have all the answers.