Best AR Barrel under $400

satchamo

WKR
I decided I’m going to build the upper on my new thermal setup AR. Sticking to 223 since my can is 5.56 and I can actually buy ammo for it…

That said - I’m wading through a sea of options. My only barrel experience is with a larue im running on my daytime rig. It’s just ok - I’d says it’s like 2 Moa with vmax. So im not gonna run another one on this rifle.

I’d like a medium weight contour - must be threaded 1/2-28 - 18 inch length - stainless.

Anyone have a favorite? I’d prefer the most budget friendly option but I know those are always a roll of the dice so willing to top out my budget or go a bit more if necessary.

Buzby

WKR
I have never seen a complaint with Noveske barrels. They’re right at you price cap give/take.

I just bought an 18” ballistics advantage 556 1:7 barrel. I use a Silencerco Omega on it. Took it out today and zeroed at 100yds, confirmed at 400yds. Picked it up for $133.

Northpark

WKR
Wilson combat. Mine parks 40gr vMax into .75 MOA and 70gr Barnes tsx into .5 MOA. Doesn’t shoot anything into much over an 1” at 100 yards.

Bigdave

FNG
I bought one that was a no name brand off of ebay once. It actually shoots really good.

Think I paid $200 for it.

Good means consistent sub 1/2” groupings at 100 yards. 77 grain bergers.

Haven’t tried to shoot any farther with it.

SnakeEater

Lil-Rokslider
Rainier arms match grade barrels and ballistic advantage barrels are both great options and under your price point. Both are sub-moa guaranteed.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Criterion 16" hybrid that shoots really well. I have a White Oak barrel on backorder that I am still waiting on.

WCB

WKR
I have a 18" Wilson on mine...(bull barrel though). It shoots standard 55gr FMJ .75MOA on a bad day. I have shot various grain weights and bullet types. 43gr 50gr and 53gr vmax, Federal 50gr HPs, Sierra Gameking HPs, Sierra tipped GameKings (you get the idea) well under .5moa. Most of those offerings above it shoots .3MOA.

Maybe I just got lucky and got a good a good barrel but I believe you can get them right around $200...may have to pay to get them threaded depending on contour?

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
I have a 18" Wilson on mine...(bull barrel though). It shoots standard 55gr FMJ .75MOA on a bad day. I have shot various grain weights and bullet types. 43gr 50gr and 53gr vmax, Federal 50gr HPs, Sierra Gameking HPs, Sierra tipped GameKings (you get the idea) well under .5moa. Most of those offerings above it shoots .3MOA.

Maybe I just got lucky and got a good a good barrel but I believe you can get them right around $200...may have to pay to get them threaded depending on contour?

I think Wilson is the answer - I was looking at their urban super sniper in an 18 inch and it’s $249 from them but will probably have it coated with their armor tough for $40.

Reactions: WCB

MLGrace

Lil-Rokslider
I recently put a 16 inch fluted SS ballistic advantage chambered in 223 wylde on my AR. Very hard to beat for the money. I paid $184.

Vaultman

WKR
I have a BA barrel, have for 5 years on a 65 creed, and I'd is amazingly accurate. (It is a heavy contour tho). I would not think twice about buying another one.

For me, I would say that ARP has one of the best sub $300 AR barrels on the market.
Wilson is another fine choice.