Best Archery book to learn the ins/outs of Bow Tuning?

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm pretty much over using proshops and am looking at getting a press. For those who have done the same, what resources/books did you use to train yourself? Thanks.

TX_Diver

WKR
John Dudley's Nocked and Ready to Rock series on youtube is great.

Lots of other good videos too but John Dudley's are a great starting point.

Look up the nuts and bolts of Archery. Think it was ontaget7 put it together. I think that's a good resource.

Edit: I was incorrect on it being ontarget. Apparently nuts and bolts did it.

Don't know any of them. I had seen it posted several times I thought from ontarget.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most of mine came from trial and error. Luckily my binary cam bows never had any issues perfectly BH tuning out to 60 yards with just rest and cable adjustments. But with a bow with yokes it's even easier.

Test and tune with what you feel comfortable doing. John dudley on youtube is a great start. You will find more videos as you go for what you are working on. Trial and error....

Here's the Nuts and Bolts e-book:

Agree that watching Dudley's videos is a fantastic resource. Start with this one just because I and others feel your pain on proshops:
and then just click on other ones that interest you.

Here's another good one showing how he does a build from scratch:

Above all, give yourself a little grace and take all actions in small increments, noting when things don't go as expected. If you thought the paper tear would get better, why did it get worse or even more frustrating stay the same? It's fine to start with a tuning formula (for x problem take y action) but try to understand why a twist speeds up or slows down a cam for example and you'll gradually get comfortable puzzling out just about anything.

They was some good stuff on Prime’s website a couple years ago too. Haven’t looked lately.