Best arrow setup for whitetail

I looking to change it up this year i want to try out a different arrow setup. And all ill be hunting with them is eastern whitetail. Im shooting 60 pounds at a 27 inch draw.

Elkhntr08

WKR
The best arrow is the one that’s tuned perfectly to your bow. I prefer a COC head, Stinger or ViperTrick, in the 400-460 weight range.
My WT arrow this year is a 27 3/8” Axis 5mm, 3 Blazers, Luminock, BAR and 100 Stinger.

Get ready for a ton of answers! Lots of heads will work. I have been shooting a total arrow weight of 460+ for the last 13 years and have had a pass through on nearly every hit. Most of the deer I shot with a rage 2 blade. In the last three years I have switched to fixed blade heads for more durability. This year my weight will be over 500 grains. I'm shooting a 60# bow as well.

I looking to change it up this year i want to try out a different arrow setup. And all ill be hunting with them is eastern whitetail. Im shooting 60 pounds at a 27 inch draw.
I’ve been shooting a Triax 29” 65# with Easton FMJs for the past couple years. 100 slick trick total weight of 475. I’ve only got pass throughs and my arrow is buried in dirt. Good luck

450 ish wt, 10% (ish) foc, fixed blade broad head, bow nicely tuned.

For me:
edit: went and weighed one real quick 427 (not 447 as originally posted)
10% foc (i think, can't remember)
125 grain QAD exodus
Beman ICS Hunter 340

I shoot this at anything and everything. Aint never failed to bring down a raccoon, coyote, hog, turkey, deer. Didn't get a chance to test on elk :(, but not from a lack of trying.

Last edited:

hickswr

FNG
Currently shooting a 27.5” draw on 65#.

Gold tip velocity XT w/ 100gr shuttle T heads. Can’t recall exact total arrow weight but south of 350 grains for sure

It passes completely through deer and sticks in the ground.

Unless you are shooting expandables, the heavy arrow hype is just that “hype”.

Why lob rainbows when a lighter/faster setup will get the job done while providing a greater margin of yardage error.

Shot completely through a bull elk at 45 yards with almost the same setup except a 60# bow and Goldtip pro hunter (not velocity) so total weight was closer to 360 grains.

Currently shooting a 27.5” draw on 65#.

Gold tip velocity XT w/ 100gr shuttle T heads. Can’t recall exact total arrow weight but south of 350 grains for sure

It passes completely through deer and sticks in the ground.

Unless you are shooting expandables, the heavy arrow hype is just that “hype”.

Why lob rainbows when a lighter/faster setup will get the job done while providing a greater margin of yardage error.

Shot completely through a bull elk at 45 yards with almost the same setup except a 60# bow and Goldtip pro hunter (not velocity) so total weight was closer to 360 grains.

I tend to agree with this. Only reason I have a 400+ arrow weight was while preparing for my 1st elk hunt, I discovered that my bow shot the slightly higher wt better. I attribute it to the 125 gr head bumping my foc.

H.C.O

FNG
I am really liking the Black Eagle Spartans, have shot Black Eagle the past 3 years but switched to the Spartans end of last year. Really impressed with Black Eagle as a whole though.

Scottyboy

WKR
Not sure if it’s the best for you, but for me I have found the Easton axis, 4 fletch, 50grains of brass up front with a iron will wide is going to be nothing short of bad news for any animal that walks within 50-60yds of me. They are shooting absolutely perfect for me. YMMV

OP, that is a very broad question and there are no perfect answers without knowing your exact hunting scenario. Don’t over think this. If whitetail is the only animal on your list, then nearly ANY arrow from 300-600+grains from a TUNED bow will kill with a properly placed shaft.

Now, how do you like to shoot? I’m assuming you practice frequently and shoot a bow that is 315+FPS IBO.

If you like 1 static pin, shoot a 300 - 350 gr arrow and sight in at 30yds. You’ll be lethal to 40 and simple. I have a good buddy who hunts this configuration and he is lethal with it. Just go practice.

If you run a multi-pin sight and like to pin gap for range finding, then you want a 1/8” to 1/4” gap. Run an arrow near 400-500 grains. Then you can, for example, see if the broadside deer torso covers the 20 to 40 pin, that deer is 20 yards. 20 to 30 pin that deer is 40 yards, etc. I personally do this with a 4-pin slider and a 500gr arrow. I shoot a 340+FPS bow at 28.5 DL.

if you want to run a slider and use a rangefinder, shoot whatever arrow makes you smile.

Just my opinion. Don’t overthink it, just go shoot a whitetail!

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up my first compound (transitioned from trad), shooting 62#, 30.5” draw. My arrows are in flux, but will settle somewhere between 500-540 grs. Easton axis 340s with 150 heads. So far arrow flight is good. I don’t mind the “heavy“ arrow, makes it quiet, the retained momentum will be deadly. Most importantly, arrow flight should always take precedence over FOC, weight etc.

OP
serious hunter1218
Ok so i opted for a easton axis and fully loaded it weighs 462 grains with 14.8 percent foc. So i think that will be just fine for this year.

phorizt

FNG
I’m shooting this setup at 70lbs:

Maxima Red 350
28.5” arrows (29” draw)
Alum inserts plus 100 grains of weights up front
100 grain Iron Will Broadheads
Wraps
3 blazer vains
Lighted knocks

Thats right around 525 grains and 15% foc

Considering going with feathers and shortening the wraps to knock 15 grains off the back end and might add a little more up front.

No idea what is the best setup but after losing animals(and arrows) with much lighter arrows, inferior broadheads and non lighted knocks thats what i switched to this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m shooting this setup at 70lbs:

Maxima Red 350
28.5” arrows (29” draw)
Alum inserts plus 100 grains of weights up front
100 grain Iron Will Broadheads
Wraps
3 blazer vains
Lighted knocks

Thats right around 525 grains and 15% foc

Considering going with feathers and shortening the wraps to knock 15 grains off the back end and might add a little more up front.

No idea what is the best setup but after losing animals(and arrows) with much lighter arrows, inferior broadheads and non lighted knocks thats what i switched to this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might want to think twice about loading up the tip more. Your setup sounds pretty under spined already.

phorizt

FNG
Very good point and I'm probably at the max I'm going to do with this arrow. I'll may shave a little off the back end and keep this as my whitetail arrow. I'm looking for some stiffer arrows too to play around with a heavier setup in the future but that's mainly if I get a chance to hunt something like Nilgai again so I'll probably get some 300s for that.

I haven't been able to find a chart or anything to indicate the limits on these arrows as far as arrow weight at my draw weight/length and since the Maxima Red 350 is the stiffest that they offer they claim it is good up to a 92 lb draw weight.

Easton Axis 340 with standard insert, Blazer vanes, and 100 grain Rage Trypan. About 400 grains as fast as you can shoot it. All components are easy to find. Perfect for whitetail hunting. (In my opinion...of course)

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot something that is tuned and you can accurately shoot. That you'll have to figure out by trial and error. My two cents on weight of an arrow from my experience, go heavy as possible with a speed/trajectory you'd like. I went from shooting 400 gr arrow years ago and would kill deer all day long but was 50/50 on pass throughs and had a few bad experiences with shoulder blades, to now shooting 490-515gr arrows with a COC head and its night and day difference. I also for what its worth i have a short draw as well(27').