Best baby carrier

Hey folks, do you guys have suggestions on the BEST baby carrier?

I'm really wishing exo or stone glacier made an attachment for their frames that is a baby carrier.

My work fe says deuter makes the best ones... I don't know anything about them.

Also, I'd like to be able to fit at least a quarter in there with my baby ;)

Voyageur

WKR
Are you intending to use it for extended backpack trips, or more for day hikes?

I have a used deuter if your interested. Used it for both my kids. They have out grown it and prefer to walk now.

Its no stone glacier or Exo but it works and does the job to put a kid on your back. It would fit me or my wife with adjustments.
I can send pictures id your interested

I had an REI baby pack when my son was young, it was OK and pretty comfortable. There are better baby packs on the market now. I would go with Deuter or Osprey, with Deuter being my first choice as I have been impressed by their backpacking packs. Like mentioned above, they are not a SG or Kifaru but they do make good packs and both you and your wife can adjust the torso length to fit whoever is carrying the baby..

BAKPAKR

WKR
I used a Deuter that worked great for hauling my daughter. I might have been able to stuff one loin in the compartment on the bottom. 😀

Laned

WKR
The guy that writes the Bedrock and Paradox website hauled his kid in an Osprey attached to a Seek Outside Revolution frame a few years ago, often with a bag in between. There's at least several photos of that with various loads on there. Seemed to work pretty well for him.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

Blackbird

FNG
Have an old deuter and upgradef to the osprey. I think it's probably the best for kid carriers but nowhere near as comfortable as my SG. It doesn't help that the load never stops moving in the osprey but we've hauled all three kids in it and it's still going strong.

By far, the best baby carrier is the Deuter Kid Comfort line. BUT BUT BUT.......

Remove the shoulder straps and hip belt and you can attach this to your Stone Glacier or Kifaru frame. When you remove those two items, the back of the kid carrier is just a metal frame. IT gives you tons of spots to secure.

To do this on a stone glacier you just run some buckles horizontal (3) through the kid carrier. Just like you were running your bag in day bag mode, just minus the bag.

To do this on a Kifaru frame (way more secure btw and way more options) I ran the same horizontal buckles but I also ran a couple vertical buckles. Kid was super comfy. Plus side is the kid carrier has a lower compartment that holds all the diapers, snacks, changing items, extra clothes. Then a second person just brings the layers and water.

Seriously a game changer for taking the kiddos. Plus it gets you in to elk shape : )

OP
H
This is kind of what I was thinking. I have an exo 6400, so if I can figure out a way to get the baby carrier lashed onto my pack.. that would be awesome

tdot

WKR
How old is the kid?

Less then 18mo, then a Osprey or Deuter strapped onto a frame. I've used both a Kifaru frame and a Seek Outside frame. Both worked well.

18mo+ I've transitioned both my boys into custom setups made with off the shelf parts. Kifaru bag with a Grab it 2 inside the bag. Suspended from internal webbing loops. They sit their butt in the Grab It and all the other gear I pack, feet on the bottom of the bag. Works great, zero complaints from them.

On the Seek Outside pack, I have done the same as above and also strapped them onto the outside of the pack. Using either a Merlin or a Hill People Gear Tarahumara to support the butt and back. They end up straddling the pack. Again no complaints.

My favourite little emergency kid carrier is the Tarahumara with an HPG Aston Panel on the outside of it. Nice small pack. Kid gets tired, strap them between the pack and the Aston Panel, with the Panel under their butts and supporting their backs.

Kids have fallen asleep in all these setups and been fine.

If it's gonna rain or they're gonna be in there for a few hours, then I take the Osprey. Otherwise it's a homebuilt setup.

Titan_Bow

WKR
My kids are a bit older now, 11 and 15. I started with the Kelty one with my son, and it was doable, but man, was that thing uncomfortable!! When my daughter was born, I got the Osprey one, and it was like going to a Kifaru or EXO compared to the Kelty!

lmeyer

WKR
By far, the best baby carrier is the Deuter Kid Comfort line. BUT BUT BUT.......

Remove the shoulder straps and hip belt and you can attach this to your Stone Glacier or Kifaru frame. When you remove those two items, the back of the kid carrier is just a metal frame. IT gives you tons of spots to secure.

To do this on a stone glacier you just run some buckles horizontal (3) through the kid carrier. Just like you were running your bag in day bag mode, just minus the bag.

To do this on a Kifaru frame (way more secure btw and way more options) I ran the same horizontal buckles but I also ran a couple vertical buckles. Kid was super comfy. Plus side is the kid carrier has a lower compartment that holds all the diapers, snacks, changing items, extra clothes. Then a second person just brings the layers and water.

Seriously a game changer for taking the kiddos. Plus it gets you in to elk shape : )
Will this work on a 22" hunter frame? frame?

HoytHntr4

WKR
EA6A5822-F73D-4DD7-B4AA-2DE5855946FA.jpeg

Can’t remember the brand name of the child carrier, we picked it up used on Markerplace. I used a few compression straps and attached it to my 26” Kifaru frame this summer hiking in the Black Hills, worked perfect