Best back country charger

Thanks Avodude - does it come with instructions? I'm no tech guru so will need all the help I can get.

Cheers,
JWB300

Thanks avodude - I just ordered a kit. Do you think this could be used to charge a camera with a USB plug? Hopefully so but will find out soon enough.

I'm well on my way to using AA's for all power needs!

Cheers,
JWB300

Hey jwb300, I was checking their website for easier projects that you don't have to solder and I came across this one:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1944

It is the PowerBoost500C and it is even more compact and cheaper than the MintyBoost. I think the only part that would need to be soldered would be the usb connecter.

It Looks like you already ordered the MintyBoost. See if you can change your order (drop the MintyBoost) and get a AA cradle added to the PB500C order.

If the camera is charged by a USB cable it should be 5 VDC. Just to make sure, look and see what voltage is printed on the power supply itself. If it says 5 Volts +- .2V it should be good to go. That is the charging input voltage for a smartphone and what voltage USB cables, connections, etc are rated for.

Here is the PowerBoost 500C with a LiPoly battery attached (You can use AA or any other battery Vout under 5 VDC instead). Taken from adafruit.com

34s1003.jpg

Thanks for all your help avodude. Unfortunately I was a bit quick off the mark and ordered the mintyboost. The postage to Australia was over $30 (and the exchange rate is not good for us at the moment!) so I'll see how this one goes before I order again. On their website they say that they won't change an order once placed... Not to worry. As I mentioned before I am not good with electrics. These are the specs of my camera... Are you able to decipher this and work out if the charger should work? It is a Sony DSC HX50v digital camera.

Capture_zps269dd09c.jpg

What we are looking for on your chart is the AC adapter Output voltage and current which is 5 VDC and 0.5 A. This is exactly what you need and what the MintyBoost provides (same current and voltage required for a smartphone). You are good to go with supplying power to your camera via USB from the MintyBoost.

That is some expensive shipping! Sorry I couldn't get you the info on the PB 500C faster. The MintyBoost is great though.

No worries - thanks heaps mate - great info. I ended up getting two mintyboosts in case I stuff one up seeing the postage was so hefty.

Cheers,
JWB300

Since a few guys were asking... With the New Trent Xtreme 1200mh pack I was able to charge my iPhone 5s 9.5 times before depleting the battery. This was typically from 0-20% to full over night. Keep in mind this was at my house so temperature did not play a factor and I would guess cold temps would suck a charge or 2.

Last edited:
Back