Best backcountry boots

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, everyone has their favorite because it's what fits their foot. I've tried many a boot to find what fits my foot. We want to think they all use the same mold and it's just a matter of picking the best quality brand but that isn't the case in my experience. A lot of folks make a good quality boot with different flex in different product lines but I find the hardest part for the consumer is finding the brand that fits their foot the best and then figuring out which of their boots meet your unique hunting style based on need for insulation, need for flex, ankle support and waterproofness.

RCB

WKR
September the weather is relatively mild. I like something light and flexible whenever I can get away with it. IMO anything over 3 lbs is too much. Think more "mid-height shoe" than "boot" IMO. I've tried lots of stuff but I keep coming back to cheap Merrell Moabs. I wear them even into winter. They are comfortable and they fit me. The waterproofing doesn't last long but from what I've seen on the forums, waterproofing tends to go eventually with all boot anyway.

I don't care how high quality a boot is. If it doesn't fit you, it's a bad boot.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Crispi Guides and Nevada’s. I also have Salomon Quest 4’s and Lowa Zephyr. I have used them all for years and just rotate them. the Lowas and Salomons last about a year. Crispis will last at least twice as long.... Crispi’s are my go to boots if I am carrying a heavier load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrhyne

FNG
Altra or Hoka. No need for bulky leather boots. Keep it light weight. Your feet and back will thank you later. This also depends where you are hunting/temperature/rain....
I’m also in this mind set. Will say that someone’s feet need to be conditioned before altra and Hokas will be an option for being in the mountains all day. I run, work out, shed hunt, do as much as I can in my trail runners.

cactus will go right through the soles but if you’re going that route it’ll just be something to look out for. Although my altras get worn thin very fast so maybe mine are less resilient to cactus.

TX_Diver

WKR
Whatever fits. I tried on all kinds of boots last year and have some Crispi Colorado's and Lowa Tibets currently. I (temporarily) spent a small fortune last year on boots to try. I highly recommend Black Ovis and GoHunt as both have great return policies and supported what I was doing when I told them I wanted 6 pairs and was going to send at least 5 back!. Order a few pairs that interest you and keep the ones that work. Be honest and don't wear them outside, etc though.

Lathrop and Sons makes the "best" boot IMO but the last wasn't right for my feet.

Schnees Beartooth is my pick. Stiff enough yet not too stiff, very waterproof, incredible craftsmanship, great customer service and very comfortable after they're broke in.

joel

FNG
The first Pr is the Idaho’s, second Pr is the Idaho II. Long story, involved in a bad car crash in 2016. Almost loosing my right leg. Broken pelvis,right hip, compound fracture to femur. Femur went through my knee, and crushed right foot. Foot still bothers me and a total knee replacement was needed.

Could not walk far with out lots of pain. Did not want to stop doing the rings I love. Did some research and the Crispi boots sounded like a win.
Last Sept I covered 26 miles in two days w my son chasing bugles in Idaho. I hunted a total of 17 days , never had an issue w my feet.
Boots are comfortable, keep my feet dry.
What a testament to crispi boots if you were able to hunt that many days after such a horrific accident. Glad you can still get out in Gods country.

Kenetrek mountain extreme have been great for me after one season. From spring Turkey hunting or scouting deer in WI to elk hunting with a rifle in MT they have been awesome. Worth spending the money on a good fitting quality boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk