Best backcountry September pant

Sitka MTN pants are my current all around hunting pant.
I like that the pockets all zip. Kneepads are a plus.

Kuiu attacks I also really like, but I mostly use them as a day hiking pant.
I wouldn't hesitate to wear them hunting though.

I ran FL corrugates for years. The pockets ripped out, so I couldn't put anything in my pockets.
This took a few years though. I for sure got my money's worth.

Even though I recommend the Zions, I have ripped a pair in the field dragging my elk down a mountain through an old burn. The pants where ~3 years old though and already had a hole in them. Stick got in the hole and dragged down.

I wear them at work everyday and spend about 1-2 days during the work week measuring trees in the woods. Usually get 3 years out of a pair.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
The Sitka Mountains were my go-to for the last three years, but this year will probably go with the First Lite Corrugate Foundry. The waterproof seat and knees are awesome. I won't go on a mountain hunt without kneepads either.

I have been researching clothing and all the layers that may be needed. What is a good light weight pant that can be used with a base layer if needed. What does everyone use for their September Elk hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kings camo preacher pants.

Kuiu Attack Pants, if you are on a tight budget then the Wrangler Rugged Wear Outdoor pants. I have hunted a lot in both and they are both nice.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The Microtex Lite pants are great but unfortunately seem to be a thing of the past.
Ya, those originals have been gone for some time now. They had a new so-called lightweight Microtex, but they were nothing like the originals and were so tight in my normal size I couldn't even get them on. They were built for the skinny jean hunter.

Akicita

WKR
September in my home state of Colorado is a tricky month for clothing loadout in the high country. . . It can be hot or cool so I primarily pack a pair of Marmot Arc Rock pants. They are, light and the cut is loose enough that I can layer beneath them with a pair or 3/4 length merinos but not to loose so I can layer on top of them with my Arcteryx LEAF Gen 2 Alpha pants for warmth and moisture protection. More importantly they dry very fast when wet from perspiration or precipitation which is much more important to me than anything else. My all time favorite was the Marmot Scree but they stopped making those. I also find myself grabbing my Haglofs Rugged Mountain pants subconsciously more than any others. . . I trust those over all others when going into situations where my life depends on my equipment and clothing.

P.S. They also are one of the few pants I own that arel double stich over all the seams which means they are constructed to stand up to my hard use. . . something I can say from experience that the Kuiu pants can't do.

BBob

WKR
I must run warmer than most. Kuiu Tiburon or Kutana until it gets much colder later in the season. I carry merino base layers for first thing in the morning if it gets cold enough. Attack's are too warm for me this early.

I have used the kuiu attack in early September heat and stayed comfortable with the hip vents open an also used them in late October with a base layer.absolutely love em..

Rveen

FNG
I have a thousand dollars in early season pants, and while all are pretty damn nice, I consistently find myself in a pair of the $13 Wranglers. Not sure if it's a mental thing to "save" the Kuiu's, SG's, Prana's for the upcoming season, but I just can't seem to wear out a pair of these things. Cheap zippers are lasting longer that the Kuiu's, no rips or holes like the Kuiu or Prana's, and only minimal thread damage. I may have just gotten lucky with the few pairs I have, but I've beat the hell outta these things this summer and I'm beyond impressed.
Lots of recommendations for the Wranglers and I have several pairs that I wear for work. I love them but I had my first zipper casualty the other day in them. (A couple teeth broke and the zipper derailed) 😢 I would recommend something a little more rugged.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I must run warmer than most. Kuiu Tiburon or Kutana until it gets much colder later in the season. I carry merino base layers for first thing in the morning if it gets cold enough. Attack's are too warm for me this early.
My furnace really doesn't work until I'm on the move, but then I'm sweating like there's no tomorrow. So for elk hunting, I'm sweating......especially when you add in those 70 degree+ days. But that's why I wear my lightweight merino base layers.......to keep all that sweat off my skin.