Best backcountry September pant

rspecht55

FNG
I have been researching clothing and all the layers that may be needed. What is a good light weight pant that can be used with a base layer if needed. What does everyone use for their September Elk hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka Apex. Timberlines if it gets colder. If I didn’t want to break the bank, Walmart Wranglers.

prm

WKR
Prana Zions. Worn them for many Oct Nov hunts in the Rockies. I bought some Kuiu Atracks, but I wish I would have returned them. Just don‘t fit me as well as the Pranas.

Last edited:

MtnMuley

WKR
I have a thousand dollars in early season pants, and while all are pretty damn nice, I consistently find myself in a pair of the $13 Wranglers. Not sure if it's a mental thing to "save" the Kuiu's, SG's, Prana's for the upcoming season, but I just can't seem to wear out a pair of these things. Cheap zippers are lasting longer that the Kuiu's, no rips or holes like the Kuiu or Prana's, and only minimal thread damage. I may have just gotten lucky with the few pairs I have, but I've beat the hell outta these things this summer and I'm beyond impressed.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka Ascents for me. Fit is good- not tight anywhere. The fabric is light, breathes well, but is surprisingly tough and durable (I finally ripped one, but Sitka repaired it for no cost). Two (2!) roomy cargo pockets and deeeeep front pockets- nothing accidentally falling out of the front pockets.

With long johns you can further extend the range (temperature) of these pants, but they are money in September weather imo.

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu attacks have always been my go to but i grabbed a pair of the kuiu kutana pants this spring and they are going to be my new go to pants until the temps really drop

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Walmart wranglers are hard to beat. May not be the best but are definitely the cheapest. I have worn the same pair for 3 years now and no holes. FL Corrugate look worse after just 1 year.

I’ve taken many animals in the Eddie Bauer guide pro pants. When I want the toughest pant for crazy mountain hunting I always wear solid color Sitka timberlines. Love the waterproof seat and knees and the knees pads. Just warm enough that I don’t need long underwear one the bottoms until it gets really cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Original Cabela's Microtex Lite with lightweight merino base under. And sometimes regular old Microtex when the temps drop. But when it's HOT, that first combination is as good as I can imagine.

LostArra

WKR
Original Cabela's Microtex Lite with lightweight merino base under. And sometimes regular old Microtex when the temps drop. But when it's HOT, that first combination is as good as I can imagine.

The Microtex Lite pants are great but unfortunately seem to be a thing of the past.
A sign of Cabelas current status: we stopped in Sidney on our way to elk hunt a few years ago and I asked about Microtex clothing. Two sales people didn't know what I was talking about. Sad. We haven't stopped since that day.