Best backpack for 6’7” man

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to hear from anyone who is 6’7 or above that does backcountry hunts. I’m wanting to buy a pack for my brother, but would like some insight from people who have experience with packs that have 28” frames. I’m looking at packs that are 6000 ci or larger. I’m aware of Seek outside offering frame extensions, I’ve heard Kifaru will build 28” pack frames, and Exo said they would custom build one as well. I’m interested in hearing about experiences with any of these or any other pack makers for that matter. Thanks in advance.

Thess87

WKR
I never claim to be an expert on anything any haven’t ran a exo before but I have a 28” kifaru with a fulcrum on it and I love it!! I’ve thought about switching bags a couple times but I always change my mind cause I just like it. As far as the frame it fits me great and I have the right amount of lift on load lifters. They have always been great to deal with to!! I’m 6’8”.

OP
Okie84

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
I never claim to be an expert on anything any haven’t ran a exo before but I have a 28” kifaru with a fulcrum on it and I love it!! I’ve thought about switching bags a couple times but I always change my mind cause I just like it. As far as the frame it fits me great and I have the right amount of lift on load lifters. They have always been great to deal with to!! I’m 6’8”.
Thanks for your insight. Which frame do you have?

6’7” here and extensively used a Kuiu (both systems) and swapped to a kifaru. Zero regrets so far.

Duplex lite/med belt/long shoulder straps

hands down go to a kifaru. I gave them all my measurements and I’m very happy. Packed 75lbs in the load panel today for a 5km hike this evening and I still get load lift with the system.

throw me a pm if you got questions

OP
Okie84

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate your responses. Do any of you have suggestions as far as a sleep system goes for someone this height? Enlightened Equipment will make quilts for someone up to 7’, but I’m having trouble finding pads larger than 6’6”. A pad this size would work, but something a little longer would be preferable.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’m only 6’5”, but I wouldn’t worry about a pad being a little short. I’d just buy the longest Nemo or Thermarest and not worry about feet hanging off. Or, if it’s a real concern for you, put your empty pack under your feet.

TheGDog

WKR
Just curious here.. you tall guys that like your Kifaru's... do you have the aluminum-stays frame? Or the Carbon Fiber based frame?

I'm asking because I have the carbon fiber one... but with some symptoms I've been noticing that are annoying, I'm wondering if these same strange annoyances occur for someone who has their aluminum stays models. I have a hunch those folks with aluminum stays ones, are not having these symptoms occurring.

So just wanted to ask if yours are aluminum, and if there are anything things you *don't* like about your packs frame? I don't want to state my symptoms here, because I don't want to bias your responses, thanks.

TheGDog

WKR
Mine is composite...and it seems like the frame sheet is prone to curling when the pack is loaded full and the straps are tightened down. This then results in the bag sleeve which slides over the frame up on top... to now not be properly taught... since it's no longer a straight line. As a result, while walking.... there's all this play in there and the sleeve rubs on the frame and squawks and squeeks terrible. And it pisses me off since I dropped a nice chunk of change on this thing. And now I can't sneak up on anything if I have it on?

Also? I have the shoulder straps adjusted as low as I can make them go in order to raise the lumbar pad as much as I can get it to go. In order to raise it up off my area of injury. And another gripe I have is that everytime I grab the pack off the ground by the shoulder straps the lift it up and sling it on...."rip!" the silly velcro inside their rips away off the back a lil bit and again making noise that prohibits you from being as silent as possible.