Best Backpacking Sleeping Bag with Space?

68Plexi

WKR
I’ll second the Nemo spoon as a wide sleeping bag option. They aren’t as warm as the WM, but you will have room to move, and you can find them on sale pretty regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments! I really like the WM stuff, I just don’t know if I’m ready to fork that kind of cash out yet. I’m gonna look into the klymit! As far as quilts go, is there a budget (say $250 or less) backpacking quilt? All the ones I have found are at least $350.
I got a email the other day from enlightened equipment about their over stock/scratch and dent inventory. I was thinking about try a quilt for awhile and looked into them and apparently am now on their list. I ended up with a wm badger which fits great for me(6’4” 230 and I like to spread out) I usually use it as a quilt unless it’s real cold. It Looks like nice stuff though and if you don’t care what color it is they had some good prices on what I’m assuming are returns or seconds. I’m thinking about trying one of the puffy jackets because they look pretty cool though I need another jacket light another hole in my head…

gabenzeke

WKR
Thanks for all the comments! I really like the WM stuff, I just don’t know if I’m ready to fork that kind of cash out yet. I’m gonna look into the klymit! As far as quilts go, is there a budget (say $250 or less) backpacking quilt? All the ones I have found are at least $350.
I'm a quilt fan. If I remember right, enlightened equipment makes a synthetic insulated version that isn't too expensive. Helps that you can customize the size and stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Buy Western Mountaineering and don't look back. FYI they are often a bit warmer than the rating that they give too. That's my $0.02 but that's after I bought other bags trying to save some money.

Rockchuck

WKR
Take a look at montbell sleeping bags. They have built in stretch to them witg the thread they use. Thats probably who klymit was knocking off actually, but the montbell bags have it everywhere and not just on the legs. I am 6'1", 275 lb for reference and they are by far the roomiest bags I have found and I have tried most all of the ones mentioned. I own 2 montbells because of that. I do like a quilt in earlier season stuff too for even more freedom of movement, but revert to the bags once it gets colder.

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
After a decades long respite from backpacking, I discovered I really hated sleeping in my old Sierra Design mummy bag. It kept me warm, was compact and lightweight. Just too darned constricting. @5’10” 180# I’m pretty avg sized guy. Looked at and bought the Nemo Disco 15. Absolutely love it! Yes there are lighter and more compact options but I don’t mind carrying a little more weight in order to sleep better

I really like the WM stuff, I just don’t know if I’m ready to fork that kind of cash out yet.
One thing to keep in mind is that most higher end stuff including WM bags hold their value pretty well.

Not only that, they're one of only a few who actually rate their bags conservatively vs. optimistically. If you do the whole "buy a bag rated 20* colder than you plan to be in" thing that you have to do with other manufacturers you're going to be sweating.

Definitely not what I'd consider "cheap", but its a lifetime buy if you take care of it.