Best Bang for Buck Binocular

Hello,

I'm looking for:
- Build Quality
- Depth of Field (minimal required focusing while hunting)
- Ease of focusing
- Ease on my eyes
- Tough/waterproof
- Clarity
- 350feet @ 1000yard minimum
- Japanese or European made
- Low light ability for dusk/dawn glassing

What I'm not too picky about:
- close focus
- I can deal with a bit of CA if required @ my price point
- eye relief
- branding

My specifics:
- Hunting in a low light boreal forest (snow or summer) and on the ocean
- my eyes are better than 22 vision, although my right eye is starting to feel my age
- slight amount of celestial use (mainly moon)

Given the aformentioned criteria which of the following binoculars would you recommend, and if you have time why would you recommend them?(all prices include shipping and tax)?
- Tract Toric 8x42 Gen2 @ $975 CAD (downfall is i'd have to order from the states and complete appropriate customs forums, which also makes it much more of a pain to send back if i don't like them or they have issues)
- Meopta MeoStar B1.1 8x42 @ $1347 CAD
- Maven B1 8x42 @ $ 1412 CAD (downfall is i'd have to order from the states and complete appropriate customs forums, which also makes it much more of a pain to send back if i don't like them or they have issues)
- Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 @ 1438 CAD
- Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 @ 1438 CAD

I should mention that I do not have the ability to check out any of these binoculars due to the remoteness of where I live.

Last edited:
That‘s a pretty good list of high quality binos in that price range - one I would add is German Precision Optics.

Of those listed my first choice would be Nikon Monarch HG - optics are absolutely superb in every respect with a massive FOV, fantastic flatness of image and depth of field; housing and ergonomics are their best as well. They are a newer design made in Japan with very high quality components including Schmidt-Pechan Prisms. I’ve owned Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, etc and am not easily impressed, but was “wow’d” by the image when I first looked through the Nikon HGs and couldn’t believe the quality for the price. In addition, they are only 23oz and handle like a dream. A quick google search will show all the positive reviews and awards won.

Outside of optics there is a vast difference in the handling characteristics of the binos listed. The Nikons and Leicas handle and carry much better than the Meoptas and Kowas (I have no experience with the Tract glass).

The Kowas are an older design and a massive unit. While there is little doubt they are a superb optic at 33+ oz they just wouldn’t be up to my eyes as much as the Nikons.

OP
S
That‘s a pretty good list of high quality binos in that price range - one I would add is German Precision Optics.

Of those listed my first choice would be Nikon Monarch HG - optics are absolutely superb in every respect with a massive FOV, fantastic flatness of image and depth of field; housing and ergonomics are their best as well. They are a newer design made in Japan with very high quality components including Schmidt-Pechan Prisms. I’ve owned Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, etc and am not easily impressed, but was “wow’d” by the image when I first looked through the Nikon HGs and couldn’t believe the quality for the price. In addition, they are only 23oz and handle like a dream. A quick google search will show all the positive reviews and awards won.

Outside of optics there is a vast difference in the handling characteristics of the binos listed. The Nikons and Leicas handle and carry much better than the Meoptas and Kowas (I have no experience with the Tract glass).

The Kowas are an older design and a massive unit. While there is little doubt they are a superb optic at 33+ oz they just wouldn’t be up to my eyes as much as the Nikons.

Thank you,

I have since removed the Kowa's because they really are above my price range (I need to be firm with my maximum price); and switched the Leica Trinovids with Conquest HD's due to reviewed optical performance and the fact that I found out they really are waterproof (more so than the leica's)

The equal GPO's to these, like the kowa's, are just above my price range.

Thank you for your input. Really appreciated.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
If you can make it to precision optics, in quesnel they are extremely helpful. I’d suggest even calling them. One of the best dealers in BC.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Do yourself a favor and go look through a pair and handle the Leupold BX-5s. It’s the best glass for the price right now hands down.

OP
S
Ended up going with meopta b1.1 8x56 to get the low light factor. Thanks everyone.

I have the Meopta Meostar 8x56, It is a great low light glass and i think it will be perfect for you. I also have the Meostar 7x42 and while the 8x56 are brighter in moonlight or dusk, the 7x42 are still excellent and being 7X have greater depth of field.

Ramblin99

WKR
+1 for the Nikon HG's. I own their predecessor, the Premier LX-L in 10x42. I've owned or looked through Zeiss and Swarovski and never done better than the Premiers, especially for the price. Keep an eye on eBay. The Premiers and HG's can often be found for $650-800.

OP
S
I have the Meopta Meostar 8x56, It is a great low light glass and i think it will be perfect for you. I also have the Meostar 7x42 and while the 8x56 are brighter in moonlight or dusk, the 7x42 are still excellent and being 7X have greater depth of field.

thanks for that! Appreciated. I was thinking about the 7x binoculars, and I am thinking about getting a pair of 6.5x32 Kowa BD ii XD’s to compliment the MeoStar. Seems like a pretty handy little pair of binoculars to take on a hunt. I’ve heard mostly great reviews on them.

OP
S
+1 for the Nikon HG's. I own their predecessor, the Premier LX-L in 10x42. I've owned or looked through Zeiss and Swarovski and never done better than the Premiers, especially for the price. Keep an eye on eBay. The Premiers and HG's can often be found for $650-800.
Thank you for your input. They seem like great binoculars, but I ended up going with MeoStar b1.1 8x56 binos due to the deal I got on them and the low light side of them seems like an amazing benefit. I will be likely picking up a pair of more in exspensive Kowa 6.5x32s to compliment them.