Best bang for the buck?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
That T6i sounds like a good choice to me. Another close option would be the 80D. Here is a link with a pretty good comparison layout.. Canon 80D vs Canon T6i Detailed Comparison.

If you already have the 5D one huge thing I'd consider between the two is the 80D takes the same batteries as the 5D... the T6i takes a different kind of battery. Other than that the biggest differences that I can see are 1. battery life (80D 960 shots vs T6i 440 shots) 2. 80D has "weather sealing" were the T6i doesn't 3. and 4. T6i doesn't have a headphone port for video (I need that). The 80D also has better auto focusing (45 points 80D vs 19 points T6i). The T6i would also be smaller and lighter than the 80D.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
You will notice a pretty substantial difference when going to a crop sensor from a full frame like the 5d. The 1.6 crop factor means your 16 mm will be equivalent to a 26 mm focal length. Are you keeping your glass ? For landscape work, AF points and speed are pretty much meaningless. Maybe consider the 6D. It's full frame with a pretty nice sensor. Or move up to a used 5d mark 2, or even a 3. I haven't been following prices for a while, but since the 5d mark 4 came out, I would think that prices for the mark 3 would have come down. Of the T series, I would look at the T6S, just for the ergonomics of the controls.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
That T6i sounds like a good choice to me. Another close option would be the 80D. Here is a link with a pretty good comparison layout.. Canon 80D vs Canon T6i Detailed Comparison.

If you already have the 5D one huge thing I'd consider between the two is the 80D takes the same batteries as the 5D... the T6i takes a different kind of battery. Other than that the biggest differences that I can see are 1. battery life (80D 960 shots vs T6i 440 shots) 2. 80D has "weather sealing" were the T6i doesn't 3. and 4. T6i doesn't have a headphone port for video (I need that). The 80D also has better auto focusing (45 points 80D vs 19 points T6i). The T6i would also be smaller and lighter than the 80D.

I got a little ahead of myself.. I said I have a 5d but actually its a 10d... Thanks for the link, I am reading and comparing now...

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
This is the glass I have on my 10d... Will it work on a T6i? I should know this stuff but have been out of the loop for a while..

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
What glass ? I can't see anything. But your 10D only takes EF glass, so no worries about it not working on any modern cameras. I like the recent EF-S(crop only) glass, such as the 10-18 stm, and the 40 stm, and the superb 55-250 stm, but truthfully, they are a bit behind my L glass. I shoot both crop (SL-1) and a 1D mk 4, which is a 1.3 crop. You can use EF glass with either one, but you can only use EF-S glass with the crop sensor cameras.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Damn, unless I'm reading the specs wrong it looks like the T6i doesn;t have bulb mode for shutter.... But the T7i does...

EDIT: found the bulb mode... Seems like some 3rd party listed specs are flawed or stuff is left out..

Last edited:

bigmoose

WKR
A camera that I'm looking at is the Canon 7D Mk11. It lists around $1135 or so but it can be found on EBay for under $1000. This camera is probably Canon's best APS C (crop) sensor type camera. I doubt that you would have to up grade for a long time. If you go the EBay route, just make sure you get one with the USA warranty. This camera is also a great wildlife/sports camera and pretty much does it all. Just a thought.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know you are looking at Canon. Best Buy has a good deal on the Sony A6000 right now if you were inclined at all to make a jump. Body and 2 lenses for $799

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
I know you are looking at Canon. Best Buy has a good deal on the Sony A6000 right now if you were inclined at all to make a jump. Body and 2 lenses for $799

Thanks Les, I just did some research on that camera, takes great pictures but I really like the feel and function of the SLR's..

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Spent 2 hours this evening comparing specs and reviews on different canon models, now I'm really conflicted lol.. I like to do long shutter night shots and from what I read the canon rebels are not the best choice for that.. Now I'm researching a couple full sized camera's and the price of a canon 80d is doable... Would the 80d be worth the extra $250 over the T6i?

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't mind used, take a gander at the used section on b and h. I've picked up 2 cameras from the used section and have been very happy with the condition. Also check out keh.com

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Another quick note, you still have a canon warranty when I bought from B and H. A buddy had the mirror fall off on his 5d(crazy amount of shutter clicks) and I bent a pin on my CF slot. They fixed both for no charge(aside from shipping to them). My issue was 50% a faulty CF card and 50% me not noticing it didn't feel right. The other was just a regular use issue and canon took care of it.

Here is a 5d m2 for 999. Access Denied
If I had a thousand to spend, assuming you're keeping your lenses, I'd buy this!

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Well I increased by budget a little and got this... After researching the 6d seemed like a better choice for low light/slow shutter photography... We'll see how it goes... Thanks for all the help and suggestions....

Attachments

• 6d.jpg
    6d.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckaz34