Best bang for your buck deer hunting riffle under 1k

Rob5589

WKR
Factory ammo
N.C., ga,IL
Whitetail maybe some hogs
Not a ton of time with a riffle. Lots of time with pistols..
Not recoil sensitive but don’t want anything that’s not fun to shoot either
1k budget is for the riffle only. If i save on that it will just met me a better scope.
Will be hunting from a stands. from fairly wooded to a 300yard field.
thanks for all the help!

Pretty much any decent rifle will serve you well. Factory ammo, stay common; .308, 30/06, .243, 6.5cm. No need for anything more than those out to 300, or more, for deer.

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger American or Savage 110. Both will be of the same quality but savage will probably be a bit more accurate. I have a Savage Weather Warrior in 30-06 and don’t plan on replacing it ever. Have seen two Remington 700’s go off on their own by either closing the bolt or switching off the safety. That’s enough for me to stay away from. Tikka is good too but you get a better feeling rifle in my opinion with Savage and Ruger

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
There has been some grossly inaccurate information posted in this thread.

T3x in 6.5 cm. Some guys will bring (and have brought) emotion and feelings in this thread but the T3x in 6.5cm meets your needs to a t and there’s nothing objectively better in your price range with factory ammo in mind.

slm9s

FNG
From a stand to 300 yards for deer? I'd look for a low mile older Sendero. Should be under $1000 and will be accurate. Tikka varmint or tactical is another choice. Maybe 260, 270, even a 243 should work.

robtattoo

WKR
I hate to be a Form Fanboy....... actually, no I don't. The guy knows his shit.

Tikka T3x stainless in .30-06, SWFA SS 6x42.

Totals up to about a grand quite nicely & is absolutely money well spent on a hyper reliable, superbly balanced & accurate outfit. Loads available for mouse to grizz & totally capable from point blank to vanishing point.

I’d get a stainless tikka 223 and put it in a bravo.

Maybe Idaho mule deer are bigger then Wyoming’s, who knows...

alabamahunt

Lil-Rokslider
What’s with the 30-06 recommendations for deer under 300 yards? Do you guys mail order nudie magazines like old fellas as well? Let me guess... “it worked for my grandpa and it works for me
What’s with the 30-06 recommendations for deer under 300 yards? Do you guys mail order nudie magazines like old fellas as well? Let me guess... “it worked for my grandpa and it works for me too.”
I use it because it’s fairly cheap and if I forget my ammo they usually will have it at the mom and pop gas stations where I hunt. Probably is overkill but it’s convenient and works for me

Rem 760 Gamemaster 30-06 from a pawn shop with a VX freedom CDS 3-9 scope.....

Go spend the rest of your money on beer.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you're going to be hunting food plots out of a stand or blind. Grab anything available and in stock at Academy Sports. You don't need anything light weight, so hell go grab a remington AWR in 30-06 or 270 and call it a day. It's going to do everything you need, and if you ever want to "GO WEST" you're good to go also. Don't let anyone say Remington has been sucking since the 90's. I have a buddy with a Remington 700 Mountain rifle from the 70's that shoots like an absolute bag of crap until he put it into a brand new Grayboe stock, then it shoots decently well. My Remington AWR shoots about .62 with 150gr factory ammo. For a scope, get a leupold 3x9x50 since you're hunting food plots and weight shouldn't be a factor. Light gathering ability should be your #1 concern. As a second choice, i would go howa 1500. My first big game rifle was a 150 combo from academy in 243, and that gun shoots lights out amazing for the $400 a paid for it. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Out of all the "Budget" rifles, Ruger American would be my last choice. I shot one once and have no desire to own one. The stocks are terrible as are the triggers. I would just spend a few extra dollars and get a nice mid priced rifle.

WCB

WKR
Ruger Americans, Savage's basic hunter models...find them for way under $1000. I've handled and shot them and do not see the fascination with Tikkas, but they would be an option.

Caliber is up to you.....308 is always tried and true can't go wrong with .270.

Of course if you are like "deer hunters" here in MN you could always go with a Christenson Arms .300 Ultra Mag with a Night Force scope for maximum shot ranges of 100yards.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good options out there. When im in the woods with my B14 Hunter in 308 it just feels right for a whitetail gun for 300 yards and in.

z987k

WKR
Deer out of a tree stand at 100 yards?

Anything that goes bang with a scope from who cares where. If you speed $300 it's too much. If you have any centerfile rifle in the closet, use that.

Used savage XP combo maybe.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to include the TC Compass as well, $350 retail, no need to buy bases, and has a better barrel than a gun that price has any right to have.

BCD

WKR
Out of all the "Budget" rifles, Ruger American would be my last choice. I shot one once and have no desire to own one. The stocks are terrible as are the triggers. I would just spend a few extra dollars and get a nice mid priced rifle.
My Ruger American is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot and the trigger is great. Maybe I got lucky