Best bang for your buck deer hunting riffle under 1k

Tikka lite in stainless. 308 or 6.5 cm.
Swaro Z3 or a leupold vxci 3 is plenty of glass.
Claw sling and some tally rings and you are set.

BCD

WKR
Ruger Americans, Savage's basic hunter models...find them for way under $1000. I've handled and shot them and do not see the fascination with Tikkas, but they would be an option.

Caliber is up to you.....308 is always tried and true can't go wrong with .270.

Of course if you are like "deer hunters" here in MN you could always go with a Christenson Arms .300 Ultra Mag with a Night Force scope for maximum shot ranges of 100yards.
Agreed on the Tikkas. I know they are shooters but I just can’t warm up to them. I tried to like them but just can’t do it. I will never own one

Savage 110 tactical(or other accufit version) in 308 or 6.5. You won't regret it. Currently with $75 mail in rebate.
What I like: Accuracy, ability to fit the rifle to the shooter without buying more junk, AICS magizines, safe and adjustable trigger. If the 110 wasn't on sale then I would also recommend the Ruger American with a Magpul hunter chassis.

Tikka T3x SS
Short action
6.5 creed if you can handle the haters
7mm-08 if you want to be different
.308 if you’re old school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
What’s wrong with 30-06??? Love mine.
Nothing. Killed more deer at my family camp than any single cartridge (log book goes back three decades and legend doubles that span).

A Kentworth W900 will get you to the grocery store and back, too.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Nothing. Killed more deer at my family camp than any single cartridge (log book goes back three decades and legend doubles that span).

A Kentworth W900 will get you to the grocery store and back, too.

I’ve shot a pile of animals with my 30-06 over the years, never really felt like it was the wrong gun.

KCMuley

FNG
You have to try out and shoulder a few. Another consideration I have to take is that I don't like detachable magazines. So I end up going the Howa/Vanguard route quite a bit with rifles.

nobody

WKR
My Ruger American is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot and the trigger is great. Maybe I got lucky
I agree with this, my experience has been the same. My trigger is set now at about 2.25 lbs, barrel is floated, and its easily a 1/2 MOA rifle if I do my part. They blow the cheap Savages out of the water.

benklein

FNG
As the tittle says best bang for your buck hunting riffle for deer. Used or new but would like to keep it under a 1k
thanks joe
Tikka, Howa, Bergara, can't really go wrong with any of the three. I would suggest optics that are close to if not more than the price of the rifle. Vortex Viper HS or Leupold Vx3i are pretty solid and lightweight hunting scopes for the money.

What’s with the 30-06 recommendations for deer under 300 yards? Do you guys mail order nudie magazines like old fellas as well? Let me guess... “it worked for my grandpa and it works for me too.”
Making this statement is the equivalent of stating that everyone who owns a creedmore or anything else trendy must spend their time sipping fancy coffee drinks at Starbucks while discussing the best way to put up their manbun and sucking on a vape pen.

I'd stick with a savage for all around off-the-shelf hunting. They're at least as accurate as any of the others mentioned, the Accustocks are better than anything Tikka is putting out, accutriggers are completely fine for hunting applications, and the gun is going to be cheaper than a tikka or Bergara. Personally I'd run as fast as possible from anything Bergara. From the rifles I've seen and shot from them, the quality control is completely absent. 1 gun will have a decent trigger and shoot great, the next one feels like a late model R700 factory trigger and can't make a group to save its life.

BCD

WKR
I'd stick with a savage for all around off-the-shelf hunting. They're at least as accurate as any of the others mentioned, the Accustocks are better than anything Tikka is putting out, accutriggers are completely fine for hunting applications, and the gun is going to be cheaper than a tikka or Bergara. Personally I'd run as fast as possible from anything Bergara. From the rifles I've seen and shot from them, the quality control is completely absent. 1 gun will have a decent trigger and shoot great, the next one feels like a late model R700 factory trigger and can't make a group to save its life.
Interesting- I have heard nothing but good things about Bergara and was just about to purchase one (B14 Wilderness Ridge 308). How many rifles is the sample size you are referring to?

nobody

WKR
Interesting- I have heard nothing but good things about Bergara and was just about to purchase one (B14 Wilderness Ridge 308). How many rifles is the sample size you are referring to?
I'm not sure where he's getting his info about Bergara, but I'll tell you hunting out west, I've seen more people pick one of those up in the past 2 years than probably everything else combined. It's a trued Remington 700 Style action (thicker walls, so stronger than the Remington), 2.5 lb trigger from the factory, and a Bergara barrel. They shoot, they shoot well. My buddy's dad has 2, both shoot MOA or better with factory loads, and one ragged hole with basic handloads. His boss shoots one in 28 Nosler and runs Hornady Precision Hunter ammo and gets 1/2 MOA groups without trying. It's too bad the gentleman above had a bad experience, but if this tells you anything, he's the only person I've ever heard of having problems with Bergaras.

Reactions: BCD