Best bang for your buck Gear

Jayski33

FNG
Looking to see what was the best bang for your buck purchase. Something purchased on a budget and worked good for a few seasons or even years. Jacket, Pants, Rain gear, shoes, Binos, Harness ect...Anything.

gumbl3

WKR
Not long lasting but a big cheap plastic tarp.. Used it for everything from a wind block, rain shelter, wrapping up an animal, keeping gear dry, makeshift shower curtain if need be.. Not something I carry around in a pack but on a hunting trip somewhere I make sure I have one with me

brianrossman1

Lil-Rokslider
For clothing and boots I highly recommend hitting up the sales. Getting Crispi boots at 25% off from the Black Ovis sales or FL/Kuiu gear during their respective sales is the best value for your dollar.

As far as a good bargain piece of gear I love the collapsible Hydropak 3 or 6L bladders. You can get them on sale at REI for less than $10, they weight nothing and are easy to clean and pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rokslide classifieds. Icebreaker merino shirt nwt for $15. I have about 100 days in this still like new. Heley Hanson full zip grid fleece bought in near new condition for $25.

Bought new. Kuiu zip off bottoms. $60 from the outlet. Worn about 50 days. The convenience is priceless. Wrangler hiking pants $25, see any of many threads about these. Tenacious tape, saved a buddy with a hole in his pad. Two pack merino beanie on clearance for $5.

I'd say to watch the classifieds here, but be realistic, most people on a normal budget can't go from casual hunter to hardcore full pro staff type gear in one year. Build from year to year with quality stuff. Think about what is most important where and how you hunt and start there. Good gear will last for years if you take care of it!

LandYacht

WKR
Brunton Carbon tripod for $59. It isn’t the lightest, but it is nice to stand behind without having to be hunched over because it’s too short.

Rich M

WKR
I've done the majority of my western hunting stuff on a budget - mostly in the 40-60% discount range by shopping around and not being in a rush.

Do watch what folks ask for in the classifieds section - sometimes you can get new for about the same.

I picked up a nylon 5x7 tarp in the camping section at Walmart for a trip - $10 I think. It saved my life - I was heading into hypothermia due to being left out in the rain by a hunt partner who didn't show up to pick me up as planned. Managed to find enough of those little pine branches up close to the tree and get a small fire started - sat there with this fire going between my legs with the tarp wrapped around me holding the heat in. I carry it and a can of sterno whenever I go now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Wheeler fat wrench and scope leveling kit. I love it, no guesswork to get a new rifle set up or to change scopes etc. worth the fairly small
Amount of $$$

Kifaru Native lid/bag: I use the darn thing daily

Crispi boots

Leupold vx5 scopes

Tikka rifles

Costco Paradox Merino/Poly blend Zip neck long sleeves tees ($20 C) and long johns ($15 C) are are excellent stuff. Their Merino wool hiking socks are too ($4 C/pr). And as mentioned above the down coats ($50 C), vests ($25C) as well as the carbon fiber hiking poles ($20 C closeout) are very function, lightweight and cheap. I actually prefer the Costco poles over my Black Diamond Aluminum poles for back country packing/hunting. One warning, all the Costco items mentioned are seasonal, even on-line.

Last edited:
Tarptent comes to mind. They're not what I'd call "cheap" but they are significantly less expensive than premium brands. Very lightweight, functional and sturdy. I think I paid about $180 for my Protrail a few years ago and it has gone the distance.

Lots of good sales throughout the year if I need an item or 2. I've found buying/selling items on the classifieds to be a good deal instead of sitting on items that I don't really love I just sell em here and go try something else. Win-Win. Easy to sell here if you have good gear and sell it at fair prices.
My local FB marketplace is pretty active too.

twall13

WKR
I pulled out my packing list and went through it looking for a few budget items that have worked well for me. Here are some of the best, non expensive items on my list:

Arrowhead Equipment "Footpad", sitpad for me. $5 and less than an ounce. Also dual purpose for me as I use a hammock for my sleep system.

Vecto 3 Liter dirty water bag. Large opening for easy filling, my Sawyer Squeeze threads directly onto it, and it weighs 3 oz. So far it's been a winner, I can use it as a squeeze system or gravity system with quick disconnects to my bladder. Their 2018 model is on sale at the moment for $17.

Cascade Mtn. Flip Lock Trekking Poles as mentioned above. I think I'm liking the S&S archery poles a bit better but not nearly enough to justify the price difference.

Olicamp Cooking pot. Been using it for a few years with an Optimus Crux Lite stove and the heat exchanger makes a big difference in boil times. With no wind it boils water much faster than my Primus ETA Lite stove.

Leuko Tape. I don't get blisters often but if one starts this stuff is a lifesaver. I've gone to pre-taping before a hunt and it stays on for well over a week.

Vecto 3 Liter dirty water bag. Large opening for easy filling, my Sawyer Squeeze threads directly onto it, and it weighs 3 oz. So far it's been a winner, I can use it as a squeeze system or gravity system with quick disconnects to my bladder. Their 2018 model is on sale at the moment for $17.
Thanks for that, I just picked one up.

Omg thanks been looking for this dirty bag forever. Large fill and Sawyer compatible.
Awesome