Best bang for your buck Gear

The BRS stove, Cascade Mountain Tech trekking poles, Mountain Smith Mountain Shelter LT, Sawyer Squeeze filter, Schrade Mini Pro Hunter knife and Salomon Quest 4D boots are pieces that I’d consider “value minded” in the sense that I’d pay 2-3x what they cost and don’t ever see upgrading them.

A good pack and good pair of binos are things that I’d spend $ on as they are “lifetime purchases” compared to a pair of pants or a sleeping pad, and actually help with hunting.

Be aware of falling into the trap of buying lower end gear to save a few $ now that will cost you a bunch later replacing everything. IMO, you’re better off prioritizing on a few items, spending the dough to get you stuff that will perform and last, and taking a $3 poncho if it’s a CO archery hunt. Buy good rain gear the next year.

I’ve saved over $1,000 on my kit just by shopping sales.

Last edited:

NUKE

FNG
Rokslide classifieds. Icebreaker merino shirt nwt for $15. I have about 100 days in this still like new. Heley Hanson full zip grid fleece bought in near new condition for $25.

Bought new. Kuiu zip off bottoms. $60 from the outlet. Worn about 50 days. The convenience is priceless. Wrangler hiking pants $25, see any of many threads about these. Tenacious tape, saved a buddy with a hole in his pad. Two pack merino beanie on clearance for $5.
Tenacious tape is a game changer for gear!

NUKE

FNG
I’m a glass guy but am super impressed with Vortex. “Budget” for me means cost/year over the products life. I just sent my vortex furys back for eyepieces and they replaced everything and fast. For me, that’s a budget decision when a company will just warranty something without question. They also have lines to fit list price ranges. Likewise, I just sent kuiu back a couple pieces. They replaced my older guide jacket with a 2.0 verde and they gave me a GC for the chinook pants that they no longer carry. So, more expensive up front, but over time those items are all cheaper in the long run because they’re warrantied for life.

MtGomer

WKR
Black diamond trail back flick lock trekking poles -$60.
I’ve been using them for 4 years now. Last a long time, work well and don’t break easily.
Way better than the $150 Lekis i had previously.

Last edited:
Eureka Midori 2 Tent on sale at Amazon for $89. I plan on upgrading to lose some weight but I've been in some crap CO early fall weather with this and have had no issues and stayed dry and comfortable - lots of room for me plus gear and my dog - heating morning coffee in vestibule heats whole tent up real quick. - for entry level floored tent under 5# this was the ticket for me. Just used cut open contractor bag as a groundsheet.

Last edited:
Maven binos. The C series is particularly good bang for your buck.

I have a pair of C series Mavens in 8x42. They are very nice for the price I paid. If I had to recommend a bang for your buck binocular, it would definitely be them. I am considering selling them if anyone is interested.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
If you have patience and do not need it right away, the classifieds and special discount sites like Camofire, Hunt of the Day, etc. are a great way to get inexpensive gear. Shopping off season for closeouts is another.

Don't forget Wal-mart and Costco. The elk do not care how much you paid for it.

Carr5vols

WKR
I'm a newbie and appreciate all the responses. Ordering the Vecto for my Sawyer. I hate filling the bag up through that tiny hole.

Would have ordered the foot pad/seat, but while $5 is great, $4 for shipping kind of ruins it.

Will be getting the trekking poles when they become available. I'd never used them in all the backpacking I'd done, but packing out my buddy's elk 2 years ago and borrowing his I realized how crucial they were for really heavy loads.
Look on Amazon they are cheap there without shipping cost.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
small pice of Tyvek- use as a ground cloth, on wet ground if glassing, a excellent surface for boning meat

Thermarest Xtherm- mine is 5-6 years old with a lot of nights of use; I bought it originally for late season hunting/winter camping- the damn thing was only a couple of ounces heavier than my very ultralight Neoairs, ended up selling all of those

short section of a z-rest pad- comfy sit/kneel pad, light and bombproof

Darn Tough wool socks- spendy, but a lifetime warranty- I have a few pairs that are pushing 6-7 years old

Sirui t-005X tripod- got mine for under $100 (including a very nice ballhead)- pulled the lowest legs off and the center section- weighs sub 2 lbs (and is completely reversible)

BRoth82

WKR
For me being a stand hunter from the mid west and going on my first western hunt last year, the piece of gear i wouldn't leave without now no matter where, i'm hunting is sock liners. I just got cheap ones from bass pro/Cabelas and man do they help a ton when you have sweaty feet.

ORdude

FNG
I have wasted a lot of money in the last 15 years buying on a budget, let me tell you what... saving and buying quality gear is absolutely worth the wait. Hunt with what you got and prioritize your purchases for what matters to YOU. Just make sure you got good boots and good glass and the rest can wait.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Morakniv companion high carbon steel blade($20) and a cheap carbide and ceramic handheld sharpener($4) Razor sharp faster than you can switch a blade and 9 oz with sheath and sharpener.

Had to add one more item:
Altama temperate weather goretex military boot. Found some on clearance on Amazon for $30 a pair and bought 5. I run in these boots too. I have worn a few other brands in same style but some are not as lightweight... 26oz per boot. Belleville comes to mind at that weight. I love these boots but not sure how they compare to higher end boots.

Last edited:

cruzer17

FNG
IMUSA cook cup ~$2/ piece http://www.goodmans.net/i/9031/imusa-aluminum-drinking-cup-mug-0.7-quart-6-pack.htm

Havalon plastic scalpel handle $2.50 https://www.havalon.com/8p-handle-plastic

Field Optics Research Bino adapter ~$15

Costco merino blend socks

Costco UB Tech pants

Russel brand skinning knives $10-$20

Wine cork + lighter = camo face paint

Leukotape has saved me from some miserable blisters

A few things I wouldn't cheap out on are my boots, pack, and optics
Eric,
How much do you recon the Goodman cup weighs?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk