best bang for your buck reliable, dialable, hunting scope

OP
Joshuajosh
There are many great options, as a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks
Will do

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Zeiss V4 4-16x50. seemed like the best package of glass/repeatability and it was right at $800(demo deal). Also like the Leupold VX5/6. I haven’t had any issues with mine but heard about enough problems with dialing(Leupold) that I probably will just keep my turrets capped.

The two I have some experience with are:

1) meopta optika 5 4-20. It’s 50mm so it’s big but I don’t think too heavy. My only gripe is the dot in the reticle is big at range, but I was hitting 500y within 5 rounds of zeroing with a brand new rifle. $500 is insane for that scope. Oh and it’s covered low turrets which to me is fine for hunting.

2) NF SHV nothing much to say on this. I’m a SFP guy for hunting and at $1000 this is an incredible scope.

so budget? Meopta $500. Budget but bigger? NF $1000

OP
Joshuajosh
The two I have some experience with are:

1) meopta optika 5 4-20. It’s 50mm so it’s big but I don’t think too heavy. My only gripe is the dot in the reticle is big at range, but I was hitting 500y within 5 rounds of zeroing with a brand new rifle. $500 is insane for that scope. Oh and it’s covered low turrets which to me is fine for hunting.

2) NF SHV nothing much to say on this. I’m a SFP guy for hunting and at $1000 this is an incredible scope.

so budget? Meopta $500. Budget but bigger? NF $1000
Which model shv? Looking at the 3-10 currently but worried about it not having adjustable parallax

PNWGATOR

WKR
Keep it simple, reliable and affordable.

SWFA 6x milquad mil/mil
or
SWFA 3-9 milquad mil/mil

Either will hold zero, dial and track precisely and return to zero with functional reticles.

These are the two ‘vest’ values available to insure POI/POA intersection.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
This is what I just got to put on my current build. In stock, simple reticle (ZMOAi-1). Usually don't prefer illum since I'm not a movie sniper but at 22oz, sub $1K, and available who cares.

My brand new Zeiss V4 won't hold zero. I have to send to Zeiss for repairs. Was 2 weeks past from being able to send back to Midway,,,ugg. I have 3 Burris Veracity scopes. All hold zero and dial spot on. Don't hear much about them but love mine.

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Zeiss Conquest V4, NightForce SHV, and Meopta Optika6 are all great scopes in/around your budget. I have/had all 3 and like them all. The NF had the best glass IMO but the eye box was a little tight. I sold it and opted for the Zeiss v4.

Also - I highly recommend calling and talking with Doug at CameraLandNY above ^^ - he’s extremely helpful and has great prices. I’ve bought 3 scopes from him in the past year :)

OP
Joshuajosh
Zeiss Conquest V4, NightForce SHV, and Meopta Optika6 are all great scopes in/around your budget. I have/had all 3 and like them all. The NF had the best glass IMO but the eye box was a little tight. I sold it and opted for the Zeiss v4.

Also - I highly recommend calling and talking with Doug at CameraLandNY above ^^ - he’s extremely helpful and has great prices. I’ve bought 3 scopes from him in the past year :)
Which shv?

Matt G.

WKR
I am in the same boat. Since my rifle is on the lightweight side, I am keeping the scope light. I am looking at a BDC reticle out to 500. Scopes I am looking at are the Maven RS.2 and Leupolds Freedom for the and VX3.

Gila

WKR
I just bought a Crimson Trace series 5 - 3x18 50mm. For 600 blow out price at Midway, I am quite satisfied with it. It isn’t that light but at 29 ounces my Tikka Tx3 lite 300 win mag can use some weight anyway. I am really impressed with the turrets...not too high and not too small. No slop at all. I like tactile clicks when I have gloves on. I strap my rifle onto the back pack when Elk hunting so I was looking for locking turrets (windage anyway) but I shouldn’t have a problem with these turrets moving. I have not mounted it yet, so I don’t know how it tracks, but the series 5 has a reputation of tracking well.

I do not like a busy reticle for hunting, just simple gradient crosshairs with numbers. I would prefer some reference bars at 3x but my eyes are still drawn to the center crosshairs. As far as I can tell, Brownells MPO is the same scope, but has a different reticle. The MPO is going for 1,000 which I think is still a bargain if a person would prefer that reticle which is the only difference between the two that I see. The glass is about as good as it gets I think, for not being German. Comes with good quality flip-up lens caps but no sunshade, which I don’t use when hunting anyway. Has everything I want, including a zero stop. With a 20 MOA rail, I can go the distance.

Just a side note: The new CTR hardline pro is not the same scope. It is not even close to the discontinued Series 5. This new line does not have high end glass and is not made in Japan.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
looking to put a scope on my proof elevation 6.5 creedmoor... will be hunting out to 500 yds... budget is around 1k... looking for opinions

Dude... You are skull phugging this everywhere. It’s not that hard. Fixed parallax is not a concern for you.

Buy a 6x or 3-9x SWFA SS with MQ reticle and learn to shoot. There is a not better 0-500 yard game aiming device at any price than the 3-9x SS.

OP
Joshuajosh
Dude... You are skull phugging this everywhere. It’s not that hard. Fixed parallax is not a concern for you.

Buy a 6x or 3-9x SWFA SS with MQ reticle and learn to shoot. There is a not better 0-500 yard game aiming device at any price than the 3-9x SS
I’m new to this shit .... I’m trying to figure out what to get and I’m asking questions

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m new to this shit .... I’m trying to figure out what to get and I’m asking questions

Brother, you’re asking the same questions over and over looking for a different answer.

There is no downside to a properly built, moderate magnification FFP scope in mils, with a mil reticle that is usable and solid at low lower and high. There’s literally two scopes that meets each of those at ANY price.

Buy a 6x MQ or 3-9x SWFA scope, read how to use it (I’ve made threads on it), if after using it for a season it’s sucks- I’ll buy it from you.

OP
Joshuajosh
Brother, you’re asking the same questions over and over looking for a different answer.

There is no downside to a properly built, moderate magnification FFP scope in mils, with a mil reticle that is usable and solid at low lower and high. There’s literally two scopes that meets each of those at ANY price.

Buy a 6x MQ or 3-9x SWFA scope, read how to use it (I’ve made threads on it), if after using it for a season it’s sucks- I’ll buy it from you.
I get it .... trust me I know I asked the question a lot .... I’m 18 and have the cash saved up and want to spend it right ..... not going to get the shv and I’m probably going to go with a trijicon credo ......thank you

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I get it .... trust me I know I asked the question a lot .... I’m 18 and have the cash saved up and want to spend it right ..... not going to get the shv and I’m probably going to go with a trijicon credo ......thank you
While Trijicons generally work ok, the Credo is not as good of an aiming device for what you want.

Weigh scopes on what matters-

-Reliability
-Durability
-Longevity
-Correct functioning (adjustments and RTZ)
-Mil/Mil (it’s more intuitive and easier to learn)
-Matching Reticle (consistent and linear, easy to see and use and all magnifications)
-FFP (speedometers read correct at any speed, so should your reticle)
-Size/weight
-“Glass” (this is last because all decent scopes are more than good enough)

OP
Joshuajosh
While Trijicons generally work ok, the Credo is not as good of an aiming device for what you want.

Weigh scopes on what matters-

-Reliability
-Durability
-Longevity
-Correct functioning (adjustments and RTZ)
-Mil/Mil (it’s more intuitive and easier to learn)
-Matching Reticle (consistent and linear, easy to see and use and all magnifications)
-FFP (speedometers read correct at any speed, so should your reticle)
-Size/weight
-“Glass” (this is last because all decent scopes are more than good enough)
The credo has all of that but the ffp from what I understand ? Idk about the durability tho .... nxs 2.5-10 is another I am looking at but with it being 700 more I’m not sure I need that..... not sure what it holds above the credo either other than durability

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The credo has all of that but the ffp from what I understand ? Idk about the durability tho .... nxs 2.5-10 is another I am looking at but with it being 700 more I’m not sure I need that..... not sure what it holds above the credo either other than durability

That’s like saying “I don’t know what it does other than work better”. But neither one is as good of an aiming device as the SWFA 3-9x- however you do you and rock on.

Dobermann

WKR
Hi @Joshuajosh, welcome to the Slide.

Form's advice above is good advice. He's not trying to hassle you; he's trying to steer you away from crap and to something that works.

Scopes from brands like Leupold, Zeiss, and Vortex have a lot of marketing behind them, but usually have fundamental construction issues.

The 'but my brand x scope has been fine' posts often reference a sample of one, and limited testing.

Form has samples of dozens, and a well-documented series of reliability tests.

The SWFAs don't have fancy marketing - they don't need it, as they're not sold through dealers, and they have a hard time keeping up with demand as it is.

They also don't have a lot of features you don't need.

What they do have is reliability, which, if you're expecting to make ethical kills at 500, you need.

After a reliable scope, it's rock solid scope mounting, then training and practice. Check out Form's posts about each of these also.

Use the money you saved on the scope to invest in ammo.

Stick around - lots of knowledgeable people here, who'll be happy to help. Just be aware that there'll also be a broad range of opinions, confirmation bias, and purchase justification.

Read enough to get a sense of where everyone is coming from, what experience they have, what level of (repeatable) skill they have, and how they test their gear.

I'm relatively new to all this too ... but through judicious reading here, and training, I took the now-almost-hackneyed 'Rockslide Special' - Tikka 223, SWFA 3-9 in Sportmatch mounts, and 77gr ammo - and recently came second in a local club match. Granted, it was only to 200 m, and not a particularly high level of competitor - but it was mostly people who'd been shooting for years, and thought they knew what they were doing.

Point being: this combination works ... but it's the time training that matters.