Best barrel options

bmart2622

WKR
I am doing a project with my boy, updating an older model 700 and looking for options to rebarrel. Ive been looking at a Carbon 6 prefit or maybe a remage barrel. Any input on those or other options?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am doing a project with my boy, updating an older model 700 and looking for options to rebarrel. Ive been looking at a Carbon 6 prefit or maybe a remage barrel. Any input on those or other options?
You will have to go with a Remage so you can set headspace with the barrel nut. 700s are not consistent enough for shouldered prefits. The only other option would be have a smith do a shouldered barrel for you and then they can make prefits in the future off your action specs.

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
You will have to go with a Remage so you can set headspace with the barrel nut. 700s are not consistent enough for shouldered prefits. The only other option would be have a smith do a shouldered barrel for you and then they can make prefits in the future off your action specs.
So the prefits that Carbon 6 makes and sells for model 700 wont work?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So the prefits that Carbon 6 makes and sells for model 700 wont work?
I would give them a call because it would really surprise me if you didnt have to send your action in! Maybe they know something that others don't but even on my factory 700 actions there was a .008" difference in headspace before any blueprinting and thats a very small sample size.

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
I would give them a call because it would really surprise me if you didnt have to send your action in! Maybe they know something that others don't but even on my factory 700 actions there was a .008" difference in headspace before any blueprinting and thats a very small sample size.
From everything I have found amd read you dont have to send your action in, in fact due to how busy they are they arent doing installs at this time.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From everything I have found amd read you dont have to send your action in, in fact due to how busy they are they arent doing installs at this time.
I would give them a call just to confirm! I don't want to speak on there behalf, I just was not aware of anyone doing prefits for the 700.

ID_Matt

WKR
Regardless of if they do it or not, that would not be the route I chose. Like XLR mentioned, the tolerances just aren't that good on standard 700's which means there is a good chance that it won't headspace well which would mean additional work ($) from a gunsmith and at that point you may as well have it custom chambered. You could get lucky and it may work fine, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Reactions: XLR
Regardless of if they do it or not, that would not be the route I chose. Like XLR mentioned, the tolerances just aren't that good on standard 700's which means there is a good chance that it won't headspace well which would mean additional work ($) from a gunsmith and at that point you may as well have it custom chambered. You could get lucky and it may work fine, but I wouldn't take the chance.
Any barrel maker offering prefits knows this.
There's two types of prefit barrels; shouldered and barren nut.
Factory 700 prefits use a barrel nut to set the headspace "Remage", Carbon six offers that option

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Factory 700 prefits use a barrel nut to set the headspace "Remage", Carbon six offers that option
I thought the same thing but they offer Remage prefits and 700 prefits as different options... So I would assume they are offering a shouldered prefit for the 700 or they are the same thing and two different options.

ID_Matt

WKR
I assumed they were remage but the website doesn't really specify.

Reactions: XLR

SDHNTR

WKR
Just an FYI for some, the latest Remington 700 released earlier this year (the 'Alpha' something or other) alleges to hold tight enough tolerances & is consistently timed to accept shouldered prefits. The legacy R700's do not, and you'll need a remage setup to set headspace unless the smith has measured your specific action. No clue if Carbon 6 is referring to that newer R700 or has something else going on.
That’s the only thing that makes any sense. I can’t imagine any barrel maker doing shouldered prefits for any previous 700. And even with the new ones, I’m suspect.

on the bright side, threading and chambering barrels for R700's is a bread and butter job for many gunsmiths.

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
They offer remage threading and a remage for the 700 action. I just purchased one last week.