Best Base Layer

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Silk bases that zip off dont exist that I've seen. FL and KUIU have the zip off merino. Thlete makes a sweet silk base layer

Love the Helly Hansen merino wool - all in different weights. Great wicking and always toasty even when damp. When windy, I throw on an Arcteryx gore-tex shell and all is right in the mountains.

LRHunter

FNG
Merino for a base layer is what I prefer. Especially on backcountry hunts as it will resist odor compared to poly. Lots of good options on Merino out there.

For wind-blocking, you need to focus on your outer layer. This layer should stay in your pack or be carried until you get to your stand to keep you from overheating, sweating, which will ultimately make you cold once you are stationary.

Layers are key to staying warm and provide flexibility as you exert yourself or temperatures change throughout the day.

I’ve gotten LLBean, Lands End, and REI in the past and they’ve all done the job…
I don't think LL Bean is ultra-liberal, not sure about Lands End but I don't support REI as they tend to align with anti-access groups such as the Sierra Club et al and don't generally support true public lands access for all (I'm not a big proponent of wilderness or limited access to public lands, within reason), hunting, motorized rec or other pursuits I enjoy.

PappaOtis

FNG
I use a layer system as the best framework for versatility - more when glassing and less when moving. I started using the First Lite 3/4 merino base layer this year and found it to be better than a full length base layer. I carry bibs, a puffy jacket, and a softshell and am able to regulate heat pretty quickly, either adding or removing as needed. I try not to sit in 20+ mph wind when glassing - get behind a rock or tree and it buffers the wind impact.

zekesteve

FNG
I used to pal around with a Brit in Alaska... We hunted, climbed peaks, and skied everywhere. I thought I was pretty tough in those days, but when we had to sit for a few hours... he could always outlast me. He was kind enough to share his secret: silk base layers. Ounce for ounce, some of the most warmth you can get. Really surprised me. Especially in wind.

Merino wool wasn't a thing in those days, so I usually ran polypro/capilene on top of silk. Nowadays I run merino on top of silk, then whatever is outside of base.

Hope that helps!
Maybe that reinforces why many sleeping bag liners are silk. Interesting, and I'm getting ready to find out in 3 days in Wy

Mr_Steve

FNG
I prefer merino wool for base layers but I think for your question the more important thing to focus on is a solid layering system. You want insulation layers like down of you are sitting for hours but need an outer layer for wind or else the insulation can be useless. Best of luck hunting!

Best is so subjective! We will all name what we have bought to justify in our own minds that it was money well spent. That being said, I’m loving my XGO baselayers. It was money well spent! 🏹🏹🏹

Zip-off Merino is my go to as well. Works perfect out West, and I get some great use out of them at home in the tree stand.

Lightweight polypro long sleeve against the skin, midweight "Minus 33" Merino wool 1/4 zip mid layer. Topped with a pullover fleece and lightweight Cabela's XPG stuffable down jacket. Combine those throughout the day to whatever conditions present. FWIW, polypro dries quicker than merino, even though merino has the ability to retain heat better when damp or wet. Polypro against the skin for me.

Helly Hansen 50/50 Merino wool ("LiFa") base layer for the legs with six pocket camo pants on the outside.

For hiking in, even in the 20's, the lightweight polypro is enough for me and then slip the Merino over the top once I get to where I'll be sitting. Then a fleece pull over and the XPG down. And yes when the wind picks up a lightweight packable Gor-Tex parka goes over the top. Wind is a huge heat sapper. My legs get warm but they don't get sweaty like my upper body so the Helly Hansen base layer and camo pants are fine even when hiking on warmer days.

If there's already a good bit of snow on the ground or more than an inch or two forecast, a heavier Gore-Tex Parka and pants go in the pack as well. Good for all day comfort even sitting.

Being versatile with layers is the key.

Last edited: