Best bear spray?

There are lots of opinions about this, some with the highest strength have reviews about faulty or leaky dispensers. Is there a definitive winner that combines maximum potency, size shelf life and reliability?

Last edited:

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
My outfitter recommended Counter Assault for a Wyo archery elk hunt. He also advised me to get the larger container and holster. We saw griz almost every day but I'm happy to report that I never needed the spray. Credit to my level-headed guide who kept us out of any dangerous encounters and also the griz who seemed to fear the horses and head the other way as soon as they spotted us. We did some pretty extreme riding and almost 3 years later I haven't had any issues with leakage. The cannister still looks new. I would, however, purchase a new cannister if I returned to this area because I would not want to take a chance with product expiration.

The absolute very best bear spray IMO is 00-000 3" mag buck shot. Never had one go bad on the shelf, never had one blow back in my face when shooting into a strong breeze, never had one leak, and the thought of having it as opposed to the traditional bear spray, as a means of self defense against a 1000 lb. ball of teeth and claws barreling down on me, makes me feel a little better. Sorry, I just think that standing there with a can of spray, in the hopes of fending off a grizzly, that really wants to ruin your day....well, you may as well be pissing in the wind.

UDAP is one of the most respected brands of spray, with a high level of capsicum. Make sure you get a decent holster that easily attaches to your pack belt, so you can keep it handy.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
UDAP is one of the most respected brands of spray, with a high level of capsicum. Make sure you get a decent holster that easily attaches to your pack belt, so you can keep it handy.

That's been my choice in the past but it didn't rank well here. So I am questioning it now.
Top 10 Bear Sprays of 2017 | Best Reviews Guide[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=t&google_params[creative]=184288106872&google_params[keyword]=bear%20sprays&google_params[adposition]=1t2&google_params[adgroupid]=44497351830&google_params[campaignid]=769102214&bs=sdLHZrEQBTGidRa7xUivX43xoTPFgK2ynOktQJ_AsvddvzfePKz56Qp3cKiSwEex&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=kwd-21544131&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9031555&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&dest=0&sys_id=0%7C254&gclid=CKLxs9KS39MCFRi1wAodyu8JNA

elkguide

WKR
Having had a fellow guide accidently set off his Counter Assault in my face and throughout our tent.................

I don't like that stuff at all!!!!!

Counter Assault is almost always ranked the highest and is carried by most professionals I have met and discussed this with.

I don't find the methodology of this test very persuasive. All it is is a compilation of consumer reviews from Amazon and some other sites. Particularly for a product that most people will never even actually use, consumer reviews are a poor way to determine bear spray quality.

That's been my choice in the past but it didn't rank well here. So I am questioning it now.
Top 10 Bear Sprays of 2017 | Best Reviews Guide[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=t&google_params[creative]=184288106872&google_params[keyword]=bear%20sprays&google_params[adposition]=1t2&google_params[adgroupid]=44497351830&google_params[campaignid]=769102214&bs=sdLHZrEQBTGidRa7xUivX43xoTPFgK2ynOktQJ_AsvddvzfePKz56Qp3cKiSwEex&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=kwd-21544131&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9031555&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&dest=0&sys_id=0%7C254&gclid=CKLxs9KS39MCFRi1wAodyu8JNA

Beendare

WKR
So some claim more distance and faster discharge....and some intentionally have a slower discharge for a longer time frame...both claim they are the best.

I'm in the further/ faster camp

mntnguide

WKR
Your fat out of shape buddy always is the best bear defense.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
Yep I've ingested the Counter Assault in a mild dosage and refuse to be around or even carry a bear spray. Watching a full crown man cry for 2 hours was enough for me. ;)

Slingshot

FNG
38c11f5653c04eb2de8072af38541f4b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
...unless you are the fat guy. So do we have consensus on which is best?

Ha! Honest assessment...Got it, time to get serious: its crazy how fast some of these bad encounters happen. I think Quick effective action overrules the differences between products. So working out the kinks and practice are key. The pray can hang up in the holster...just lie a pistol can in a non rigid holster-A guy should check to see how fast he can deploy one handed....practice helps insure you live to see your grandkids.

Practice also prevents that ' deer in the headlights' reaction...in other words.......YOU are the key factor... not the spray.

Last edited:

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
For black bears....Counter Assault
For Grizzlies....45-70, 420gr hardcast. Good stuff.

No bear spray for me, it won't do a damn bit of good if you really need it. Handguns, basically useless as well, but they bring piece of mind and I understand that, carry one at times as well. If I am going someplace I think there will be bears, either I am carrying a big gun or the guy with me is. I've seen first hand just how fast a grizzly bear or a brown bear can charge, and same goes for black bears. Spray wouldn't do a damn thing.

Just my thoughts.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I think the most important factor is not "what" you carry but rather "mastering what you carry".

I was charged by a grizz in MT three years ago in a unit bordering Yellowstone. I had a firearm and was able get the firearm pointed directly at the bear before it stopped at 15 yards and turned away. I was ready. To this day I remember it in great detail.

If it had been spray, I would have been a bit less accustomed to pulling it out as fast as a gun just due to less practice doing so.

What ever you choose, practice. Carry both? Practice both.

No bear spray for me, it won't do a damn bit of good if you really need it. Handguns, basically useless as well, but they bring piece of mind and I understand that, carry one at times as well. If I am going someplace I think there will be bears, either I am carrying a big gun or the guy with me is. I've seen first hand just how fast a grizzly bear or a brown bear can charge, and same goes for black bears. Spray wouldn't do a damn thing.

Just my thoughts.

I couldn't agree more Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray

WKR

I'm with snake529 on this compilation of reviews. They like the packaging, size, cost, shipping, and holster. Nobody used it on a bear. Meaningless data for a user of bear spray.

The one thing that deters me from using bear spray is that it is nearly impossible for me to get on a plane, whereas any of my firearms are stupid easy to take with me. So I keep up on what I need to keep up with when it comes to using a firearm.