Best beginner mule deer?

So my fiance and I took jobs in Guymon, OK. We are moving from North GA so im excited to get feet wet hunting western big game. Ive already got a OTC New Mexico auodad hunt planned, but im wanting to plan a mule deer hunt as well. Im not asking for anyone's secret spot, I really. Just looking for some pointers to head in the right direction. I should also preface im not looking for a 160" class buck. I'm only looking to get my feet wet with a LEGAL deer, I don't care if it's a doe or a buck. Just wanting to experience something new.

That being said, what would be a good area to start?

I've spoken with the Oklahoma game and fish and the individual I spoke to said I'd be best traveling out of state for a good opportunity at a mule deer.

Id really like to keep it withing a 5 or 6 hour drive if I could help it.

Thanks for any advice

jolemons

WKR
You can find mule deer in any of the NM units with audad. That'll be a good opportunity to scout for a deer hunt at a later date. Eastern-central NM units will be a good starting point to get some deer hunting under your belt.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

There is a lot of opportunities in Colorado on public land. I don’t know of any areas down southern Colorado yet. Most of my experience is in northern Colorado, I can’t pm yet but if you get on goHUNT you can find a lot of draw odds. We were able to draw doe tags no preference points for that unit. As well as hunt bull elk in otc units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might try the Lincoln County, New Mexico. I hunted the Guadalupes a couple times. It's within your suggested driving distance and there's plenty of mule deer down there.

New Mexico will be your best option for driving distance, access to permits, and access to public ground. KS can be good IF you can draw the deer tag AND get drawn for the Mule Deer Stamp. Otherwise, you might get drawn and get to hunt respectable whitetails in prairie terrain while looking at mulies.

cayres67

FNG
So my fiance and I took jobs in Guymon, OK. We are moving from North GA so im excited to get feet wet hunting western big game. Ive already got a OTC New Mexico auodad hunt planned, but im wanting to plan a mule deer hunt as well. Im not asking for anyone's secret spot, I really. Just looking for some pointers to head in the right direction. I should also preface im not looking for a 160" class buck. I'm only looking to get my feet wet with a LEGAL deer, I don't care if it's a doe or a buck. Just wanting to experience something new.

I've spoken with the Oklahoma game and fish and the individual I spoke to said I'd be best traveling out of state for a good opportunity at a mule deer.

Thanks for any advice
I’m in the same boat

cayres67

FNG
There is a lot of opportunities in Colorado on public land. I don’t know of any areas down southern Colorado yet. Most of my experience is in northern Colorado, I can’t pm yet but if you get on goHUNT you can find a lot of draw odds. We were able to draw doe tags no preference points for that unit. As well as hunt bull elk in otc units.

have you hunted much western colorado mule deer or mostly highcountry?

Nebraska is a state that should be on your list. Maybe not number 1 on your list but if you find yourself at the beginning of august without a tag you can always grab one. Thats one good thing about the state. The other good thing is you can hunt them in the rut. Don’t expect anything big but you would at least get your feet wet. Ive made the drive to Nebraska 3 times and I live in south GA.

have you hunted much western colorado mule deer or mostly highcountry?

Not much of western. It’s mostly been up by Meeker/Rifle area. If you want any information on that area I’ll give you what I know. It’s not much one year of hunting them. One year looking at them, trying to find elk.

Cowbell

WKR

Thanks for any advice
I sure hope the money is worth living in the armpit of the world. The wind and extreme swings in weather coupled with no trees would make it unbearable for me.

Prestjd

FNG
I'm on southeast Oklahoma, headed out to Colorado this year hopefully on black powder hunt if we draw. I'd look into archery in Nebraska if you can put in some miles or Arizona, both OTC but have low odds and lots of people.
Put in for Colorado or south Dakota.

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks for any advice
Look toward UT. I’m not sure if your bow hunting or not but for a non resident do your research and search forums and you’ll find a easy to draw unit. Take my advice and make a stalk on every legal buck you see until you get a shot. I’ve hunted my whole life (27 yrs old). Nothing compares to high country mule deer for someone from south GA.

I sure hope the money is worth living in the armpit of the world. The wind and extreme swings in weather coupled with no trees would make it unbearable for me.

It’s absolute crap here… and I don’t want to be rude but they won’t last long here unless they get under their bosses desks before the other management trainees

But on-topic.

There is some mule deer hunting in TX @ lake Meredith Nat Rec Area, as well as Rita Blanca grasslands if you’re looking for public land.

OK has the beaver river WMA as well as Optima NWR which is close.

All are available to hunt archery season (may need to check on Beaver I think it went draw a few years back.)

I’m local so feel free to drop a DM

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to Oklahoma!! My wife and I have been here for a year and a half now, over in OKC. The archery & muzzleloader seasons aren't too bad on public here (as far as crowding goes), and some of the western WMA's can be done spot-and-stalk. Having said that, at least you're a short drive to some good mountains. Hope you were able to get your application in for the controlled hunts here, the deadline was the 20th. I don't have a ton of experience here yet, but if you want to pm me, I can let you in on some recommendations.

2rocky

WKR
I'm only looking to get my feet wet with a LEGAL deer, I don't care if it's a doe or a buck. Just wanting to experience something new.

Thanks for any advice
Look into a GoHunt subscription to find low or zero point opportunities all in one place...

New Mexico is a Random draw. You can get better odds putting in with an outfitter. Truth be told, you are going to have to learn a WHOLE NEW mindset to hunting so doing a guided hunt might not be a bad idea so you get the feel for just how much ground you have to cover, and how to glass effectively.

Colorado has a lot of opportunities to hunt with few points. Many of those are in the Eastern part with a lot of Private land. An outfitter is your best bet to access that.

Kansas is worth a look. I never have, but have heard of some good deer taken,.

Wyoming draw is coming up. Look into that. Fewer points required in Eastern Half.

AZ and UT are Long shots at best. Double digit Pref points or low success archery hunts in DEC JAN (in AZ)