Best Beginner's Spotter Selection

For my first spotter I had really good luck with the Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A. Paired that with a Sirui tripod and VA-5 head.

Blue72

WKR
Thank you everyone. I'll certainly be on the lookout for great deals. For the Athlon Ares, I would have to do much more research. I believe these are pretty new as reviews about them are pretty sparse. There is currently an oldie pale green 82 fieldscope with several eyepieces on sale for $1k, but it's an older version. I know that a premium lens can last a life time if well taken care of. But, I also saw a more recent Monarch 82 fieldscope+zoom that also went for $1k right after the hunting season. If you were in my shoes, should I haggle with the older 82 or wait for after the hunting season knowing that I won't need it till next year? I know my budget is tight, but I think 65mm whether it be Kowa or Leica will be quite limiting in low light conditions compared to say pf80ed or 82 fieldscope.

I would consider the scope in the classifieds…..those extra eyepieces are sweet and have a nice wide FOV. Something you just don’t see in many modern scopes anymore. Plus they hold their value. You could always recuperate funds selling those eyepieces to ed50 owners. Or just get yourself a ED50 for $300 from Japan and you have yourself an amazing compact spotter to round out your optic collection

Thank you everyone. I'll certainly be on the lookout for great deals. For the Athlon Ares, I would have to do much more research. I believe these are pretty new as reviews about them are pretty sparse. There is currently an oldie pale green 82 fieldscope with several eyepieces on sale for $1k, but it's an older version. I know that a premium lens can last a life time if well taken care of. But, I also saw a more recent Monarch 82 fieldscope+zoom that also went for $1k right after the hunting season. If you were in my shoes, should I haggle with the older 82 or wait for after the hunting season knowing that I won't need it till next year? I know my budget is tight, but I think 65mm whether it be Kowa or Leica will be quite limiting in low light conditions compared to say pf80ed or 82 fieldscope.
Since you do not need it until next year, I would recommend that you hold off and keep saving money. You''ll be much better off in the long run.

Too often folks have the need to buy something "just because" without thinking things through. This often leads to some level of buyer remorse. If they'd have spent a bit of time writing down their requirements, they'd be much happier when it is all said and done. I strongly recommend figuring our your requirements first and then making a purchase.

But if you have to have it now, then go with Doug's recommendation.

OP
B

BirdPoop

FNG
Yes, that is a tempting classified, but I may also save up some more in the meantime to score a killer deal as well, if there will ever be one. My gut tells me that I'll be happy with whatever that are suggested as a beginner for awhile, but I will likely upgrade later too. I saw a Kowa88+zoom go for 1600 TYD ad once, and I am still dreaming for a day like that with cash in hand. Only time will tell.

WestNE

WKR
I think the best value in a used spotter has to be the 65mm Pentax, you have to be patient but they can be found for under $300 and you can have some fun playing around the eyepieces. The Pentax XW fixed eyepieces are very impressive expecially vs zoom at higher mags.

OP
B

BirdPoop

FNG
Pentax at under 300 would be a real nice price to be had if a zoom eyepiece is included. Thank you I'll do more research on the MM4.

Blue72

WKR
Pentax at under 300 would be a real nice price to be had if a zoom eyepiece is included. Thank you I'll do more research on the MM4.
You don’t want a zoom eyepiece for the Pentax. It really shines with fixed magazine eyepieces. Since it takes Astro eyepiece, your options are almost endless

OP
B

BirdPoop

FNG
Fixed eyepieces will be the best no doubt. A zoom piece is sure convenient though.

Kscrawfo

FNG
Greetings,

I have never looked through a spotting scope before, but I know I want one. What are some beginner's selections would you recommend? My budget is like under $1k. It would be mainly used for wild life observations (e.g. hawks, vultures, deer, elks, bears) for camping trips and day long hikes. I want details over portability to a degree, so, I am looking at 80mm classes. Color fidelity would be important for viewing, and I wear glasses.

I've looked at the Pentax pf series, but I've heard that color fringing is pretty bad even with the XW eyepieces at high mag. Is this true? I thought the Pentax PF series have very good ed glass, so the color correction at slow F7 focal ratio should be virtually color free. Could the bak4 porro prism maybe creating more color especially on the angle version with double prisms?

Another one I've looked at is the Nikon Fieldscope series. I've heard the eye relief is pretty short at high magnifications. How much eye relief is too short for eye glasses wearers?

I've also heard of the Vortex Razor and Viper series. I've heard that the Viper series glass is just so so compared to the Razor series. How much differences are there? How would the Razor stack up to the Pentax PF and the Field Scope series in the sharpness and color department at high mag?

Are there other competitors that I am not aware of that are in the same league?

Thank you so much in advance.
But a used older Zeiss if you can find one. The 65 was a great scope and you could definitely get one for under $1k if you look

fatrascal

WKR
I would definitely call Doug at camera land and he can discuss multiple options. You can also check out the bird forums and learn a lot. They tend to use a bigger variety of namebrands as compared to hunters. Also, if you have a Sportsmans Warehouse or a Cabelas or a hunting store of some kind near you, you can take several scopes outside in the daytime but in the evening when its starting to get dark and compare scopes. You probably already know more than most sales people and they won't be able to keep up in conversation with you judging by the verbiage you've used so far but they've already done the clarity test and they know which ones perform the best. Hope this is helpful. Fatrascal.

I am after up to 50+ mag that can resolve details like iris of a hawk perched nearby. I am hoping that a non-alpha scope can do this with flying colors. I've heard that a good Pentax can resolve 60x just fine with the xw eyepieces. How is the color fringing on that Pentax at the highest magnification? What's the focal ratio on that objective? Thanks.
Sorry I can't help. That's a pretty tall order with a budget of less than $1,000. Curious to know what you decide on.

Holidays are a great time to look for new items due to sales (may have to call but can be a huge money saver). After hunting season is great for used items.

Sign up for CameraLand email notices and see what pops up throughout the year. That’s how I wound up with my Kowa 554 (sorry BTX fund).