Best belt for your pants to hike in?

Kevrod3

FNG
Taking my 14 year old and he needs a good belt for his pants because the pants are a bit big on him.
What style or brand do you guys use? I'm using Parana zion so they have the stretch waist band belt incorporated in the pants already.

My backpacking belt is a Eddie Bauer cinch belt with a hook for quick detach. Cost about $18. Has a stretchy material and is very comfortable under a pack belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wseidel

WKR
For long-term use, I've gone with the Wilderness belt (5-stitch version). They are stiff for carry purposes, indestructible and are easily adjustable due to the velcro closure. They may not be the best option for someone who is still growing, due to cost, but they are a great long-term investment for adults. Plus they come in a money belt version in the event you want to store some emergency cash or important papers. The final caveat is that they come with an airlift buckle in the event your adventure goes south and you need to be airlifted out - which you hope you never have to use :) Hope this helps...

Airma

FNG
My backpacking belt is a Eddie Bauer cinch belt with a hook for quick detach. Cost about $18. Has a stretchy material and is very comfortable under a pack belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1
f.png

LostArra

WKR
Patagonia Friction belt with 1" webbing and single piece low profile buckle. No stretchy stuff for me.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
Zion is my go to pant. That I tegrated belt doesn't do much for me. I use a high quality strap with a little clamp down thing made for it's size. too big of belt and it'll pinch or pinch between my pack waist and pants belt

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
the two I use are the Wilderness Instructor belt (awesome belt, rigid enough for supporting a holster) and I just bought the Hill People Gear belt. The HPG belt has no buckle to interfere with pack belt but it also is a little less supportive when carrying a belt mounted holster. During rifle season I carry in a Kenai chest rig so this won't be a concern.

Both great options, the Wilderness belt I have worn every day for several years and it appears to be holding up just fine (I have never been hoisted out by helicopter so I can't offer any opinion on that feature).

For a 14 year old, maybe holster carry is not a concern yet. A bigger concern would be outgrowing the belt. I think the Wilderness gives around four or five inches of adjustment and the HPG is around three or four. Either way, should last through high school.

bsnedeker

WKR
So, feel free to laugh at this but after a few years of struggling to find a low-pro belt that doesn't chafe under my hip belt but also has enough strength to hold up my sidearm (I use a thigh-holster) this year I bought a roll of 1-inch heavy-duty webbing and a 2-pack of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079FYQLLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

It's honestly the best belt solution I've found at this point and cost me under 15 bucks for 2 belts and I have a TON of webbing left over. It doesn't sag under the weight of my sidearm and doesn't chafe me.

oddtiger

FNG
I sew the pants on both sides for my daughters to adjust the waist. As they grow I remove the stitches for a better fit. Kids grow fast and it's quite difficult to find a good fit sometimes, especially everything is bought online nowadays.

BuckSnort

WKR
I have been looking for the most comfortable belt that didn't bunch up or bind under my backpack's waist belt.. I have ordered a couple pricey ones from backpacking gear manufactur'es and so far this cheap one is by far the most comfortable..

ndbuck09

WKR
I've also been liking my Arcade belt. none of that feeding a webbed belt through. It just clicks in like a seat belt.