Best Berger Bullet for a 6.5 Creedmoor?

EmperorMA

WKR
I have an accurate little rifle with a 1:8" twisted 22" barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. It isn't picky and has shot at least one bullet from every size 120 - 147gr into MOA groups, some even better than that.

I want to develop a load for a Berger bullet for hunting mostly deer and Pronghorn at 6 to 600 yards with the possibility of slightly longer shots if everything ever works out right. I expect most shots to be around 75 - 300 yards, however. This rifle/bullet combo may also be used for the occasional cow elk tag where distances would be similar. I will practice with this load to 1,000 yards.

I am down with anything 130 - 156gr and don't really care what "type" of bullet it is. I have killed stuff with this rifle with bullets from a 120 TTSX to a 147 ELD-M and quite a few in between so I suspect I can find a load with any weight Berger bullet and I am not biased toward "hunting" bullets over target bullets.

While not exactly a "long range" question, I am just wondering what everyone considers the the best killer of such game that Berger makes for the 6.5 Creedmoor at all reasonable distances, including short ones? I will start there and hopefully find a solution that works on all the game animals mentioned. Thanks!

EDIT: Adding that the two best bullets in this rifle have been the 142 ABLR and the 147 ELD-M. Both are extremely accurate and absolutely knock the crap out of everything they have hit. The 129 Browning BXR & Hornady SST and 140 NBT have also been great! This rifle shoots so many bullets well that I am trying to find its Holy Grail .... one for all uses. The quest must always continue! If I had to pick one right now, I'd probably go 142 ABLR for deer and elk but the 147 ELD-M is my fave.

Last edited:
130 berger otm
135 classic hunter
140 hybrid target.

The 130 has been a popular option for speed goats. 135-140 have killed a lot of deer. All of them will work at the ranges you want to hunt at. I run the 130’s in my prs rifle and would hunt with them in a heartbeat.

WCB

WKR
Ive killed a handfull of animals with the 135 Hybrid Hunter...unless there is something extremely different in their other bullets I dont see every using a Berger again for hunting. 140gr Nosler Accubonds for me

ID_Matt

WKR
140 elite hunter's are in stock at extremestore. Can't say I have used the 140's extensively but have had good luck with elite hunters in 175 and 156.

FCCDerek

FNG
I'd go with the Berger 140 Elite Hunter. My 20" Tikka 6.5 absolutely loves them over H4350. One hole group, and they're doing 2650FPS out of it. More than enough to hunt anything from 500 meters and in.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pushing 130 vlds at 2710 out of a 20 inch x bolt around .75 moa. I’ve killed three whitetail so far with it and see no reason to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyogoat

WKR
I’m shooting the 140 gr VLD-M and accuracy is great. I haven’t shot an animal with them yet as I just switched from a Nosler bullet only because I wanted to shoot a 140 instead of the 129. Working up a load was pretty forgiving with that bullet also. I’ll use them on elk if archery season doesn’t go as planned…

Ive killed a handfull of animals with the 135 Hybrid Hunter...unless there is something extremely different in their other bullets I dont see every using a Berger again for hunting. 140gr Nosler Accubonds for me

Curious what your negative experience was with the 135s? I’ve only shot one mule deer with them and was happy with the results. 300ish yards with 3150 muzzle velocity.

They are a nice balance of weight (for velocity) and bc.

Time also shot a fair bit of 130 otms and 140 hybrids with good results but just at steel.

8grenade

FNG
I've shot about 1500 of the 130 Berger VLD out of my creed and they flat out hammer every day. I have seen the 140 ELDs go poof about 50 yards in front of the muzzle. I'm a yellow box fan for all my match guns, even 223AI