Best biography on the Teddy Roosevelt?

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished reading endurance and undaunted courage, wanted to pick up something on Teddy Roosevelt but there are so many options. Any recommendations? Full disclosure I'd rather read something that paints a positive light than a negative one. Thanks

Hondo

WKR
I too have been wanting to read more about TR following my introduction to TRCP. The Wilderness Warrior looks like a good read to me based on reviews. I'll be watching this thread.

SWOHTR

WKR
There's a lot. Edmund Morris' trilogy is good but long. With TR there is a lot to digest: the youthful asthmatic side that transformed into a strong, intelligent man; the wilderness side; the political and military side. Just to name a few. Wilderness Warrior, while good, will give you a "biased" read on his development of "natural America" and not discuss so much of his political and military sides. The Morris trilogy will give you a thorough understanding of his life through a political lens but not so much about his relationship with John Muir and the conservation of "natural America." I would simply offer pick one and read it. I haven't read anything yet that painted TR in a negative light. He did so much good in his lifetime: the national forests, grew the Navy, held the New York Police accountable, just to name a few.

"River of Doubt" is a good book but not a biography. It focuses on one thing that TR did after his presidency.

There are also books that he wrote that may interest you: "Hunting Trips of a Ranchman" and "The Wilderness Hunter." Good reads, dated, sometimes hard to "understand."

I will also offer that on my reading list are "Mornings on Horseback" and "The Path Between the Seas," both which are TR-centric but may leave out details which you may find interesting.

When you read about him, just think - there's a reason we carved his face into the side of a mountain.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I thought Mornings on Horseback was really good. It covers his younger years, before he was President. It seemed like a good one to start with. My favorite of the 3 TR books I've read.

I also read and enjoyed the Naturalist. It overlaps Mornings on Horseback but obviously more focused his passion for the natural world.

I just read River of Doubt a couple weeks ago. As SWOHTR said, it is specifically focused on his trip down the river in South America. But also good.

The Naturalist- Theodore Roosevelt - A Lifetime of Exploration, and The Triumph of American Natural History

Listened to it on Audible during a pronghorn hunt a couple years ago. Pretty good. Definitely helped pass the time in a 110° blind

I just started reading Theodore Roosevelt in the Badlands: A Young Politician's Quest for Recovery in the American West. Pretty good so far.​

Rokbar

WKR
African Game trails was a great read. About his safari after the presidency. One could only imagine what his eyes saw in those days!

ODB

WKR
Morris’ books are good.

TR was, like all great people, complicated.

I tend to think the outdoors community conveniently overlooks certain aspects of him as they print more t-shirts, stickers, and coffee mugs, and ask: “What would TR do?” I think sometimes they wouldn’t really like the answer.

Yoder

WKR
I highly recommend the Morris books. They have them on Audible if you want to listen instead. We have had quite the pathetic lot of Presidents in my lifetime, Republicans and Democrats. Looking back in the context of history, I think Teddy was a great man. It's a shame what we have to pick from now.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
African Game Trails was a great read. About his safari after the presidency. One could only imagine what his eyes saw in those days!
^^^^^^^^
I have a hard bound 1st edition
Great read, great vintage photographs
This was during a different time with different ethical hunting standards. However I will admit that I am taken-aback by the sheer amount of game that he and his son Kermit "collected" for the Smithsonian on that safari. 512 Animals over 10 months.
Smithsonian-Roosevelt African Expedition

River of Doubt took me awhile to get into but once I did, I tore through it.

I'll have to check out some of these other suggestions.