Best bipod setup for western hunting??

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
Howdy folks,

Wanted to reach out and get opinions on your favorite bipod setups for western hunting. I find myself putting on quite a bit of miles through steep drainages, timber, alpine stuff at the top, and much more. Looking for some input on the best overall bipod set up in terms of packability, weight, and functionality.

Update: looking into the Spartan lite bipod, my
Only concern is it only weighing 5 ounces. Anyone have experience with them??

It will be mounted to a Seekins Havak PH2

Last edited:
My choice was the hatch out west. I can use it sitting, awkward positions, and standard prone. There are more stable bipods, lighter bipods, etc but the hatch does it all pretty well for me. I leave it in my pack because it attaches very quickly and easily.

bmicek

WKR
Have you considered using a tripod? A bipod hasn’t been tall enough for me in my settings unless it’s used sitting. And at that point I’ve opted for a tripod so I can use it for shooting and also glassing. Kill two stones with one bird

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd consider hunting without a bipod, but I wouldn't consider going without Wiser Quick-StiX on my trekking poles. I have killed far more animals shooting sitting/kneeling with those than I have prone off of a bipod. And if I do get prone, I can always use my pack or similar.

That said, I do like Spartan bipods. Primarily because they are light and don't need to be attached while I'm hunting.

Fitzwho

WKR
Spartan Precision bipod and if you want to use a tripod get their Davros head for attaching to your existing tripod. Then your tripod and bipod are interchangeable.

Gone4Days

WKR
Do you glass with a tripod? Just buy a cheap V yoke. That’s what I use and works fine.

CoStick

WKR
I will be using a Kramer this year. Think it will be great when my pack doesn’t work

Too often the terrain, vegetation or both make using a bipod impossible. Shooting sticks or tripods are a huge advantage in many cases, especially in steep country and/or in deep vegetation. In places where a bipod is ideal, your pack is just as good.

Howdy folks,

Wanted to reach out and get opinions on your favorite bipod setups for western hunting. I find myself putting on quite a bit of miles through steep drainages, timber, alpine stuff at the top, and much more. Looking for some input on the best overall bipod set up in terms of packability, weight, and functionality.

Update: looking into the Spartan lite bipod, my
Only concern is it only weighing 5 ounces. Anyone have experience with them??

It will be mounted to a Seekins Havak PH2
I have shot 90% of my big game animals prone. The other 10% was sitting. The most versatile bipod out there is the harris 12-25 swivel. You can shoot prone, kneeling or sitting. It also protects your barrel when you are busting through brush or resting on a rock or log without the legs deployed. I also started using wiser quik stix with my trekking poles and have moved to the harris 9-13 swivel and the Atlas CAL tall bipods. Since most of my shots are prone, this system has worked out really well for me. I like having the bipod attached to the rifle. Sometimes I drop my pack and I don’t want to have to worry about not grabbing the bipod.

Spartan Davros head on tripod is a great system for shooting and glassing.
Spartan bipod is super light, packs small and it works great if you can get needed height. It shines when you got time to get prone and use it with your pack. The Spartan set up is expensive but it’s slick for big country when miles are covered. They make a few adapters that thread into spotting scopes and bino adapters for glassing.

Hnthrdr

WKR
+ 1 for tripod… personally I rock like out Jim shocky and use a primos trigger stick tripod. It doubles as 1 trekking pole and I use it for my binos while glassing. Regular tripod holds the spotter. Last 3 bucks were killed in kind of quick need to shoot now scenarios from standing or kneeling positions. By all means if I have time/ option I will go prone on my pack… but hunting can get really dynamic and curve balls come quick.